Forums » General » League Status

Messages for League Status

Comment Posted by gus Apr 13, 2009 08:40 AM

I find it a little worriesome that with all the talk of teams exiting the WTFL to the new league being put on by the Pitfootball guys, that there have been no posts or updates as to the status of the WTFL. With all the rumours going around about teams leaving and ref issues, you'd think that the Administration of the WTFL would be addressing this on the home page?

I'm with the Ninja Militia in the 4th Division and we are tentatively going with the WTFL at this point, but my confidence that there will be a league is waivering.

Is there anyone from administration who would like to openly comment? With registration next week, I'm on the fence and am looking to be convinced.

Comment Posted by canadianclimate Apr 13, 2009 01:56 PM

I concur!! It would be nice to put some rumors to bed.

Comment Posted by marc Apr 13, 2009 05:16 PM

I'll give it a shot!

First of all, don't worry. The WTFL has been around for 35 years and it will be around this year as well. The WTFL operates with the intention of providing the best game day experience possible and working as a non-profit league allows us to give back to the membership what others can’t.

There hasn't been any posts on this site about any of the other leagues, because there's no point in doing their advertising for them. But I will try to settle some of the rumors that appear to be flying around.

Rumor #1: The WTFL doesn't have any teams:
If you look at the Teams page on this website, you'll see a bunch of teams there already. All these teams signed themselves up on the website. They weren't artificially created by your executive. I know for a fact there are a few teams on another league website who did not sign themselves up and have no intentions of playing in that league. This is done to inflate a league that may not have enough teams.

Rumor #2: The WTFL doesn't have any refs:
Not only do we have the best officials, but we are also offering another free clinic this year to train more. No other touch league in the city certifies their officials. Most leagues try to cherry pick ours because they are not only the best in the city, but are some of the best in the country.

Rumor #3: The WTFL doesn't have any fields:
We have all our fields from last year and we're waiting to hear back about a few more new locations. We won't be using Julie Riel though :)

Rumor #4: The WTFL won't have an all-star game:
Although the WTFL didn't have an all-star game last year, it has been allocated funds in the budget this year. More details will follow later this season.

Rumor #5: The WTFL is more expensive than the other leagues:
The league fees for the mens divisions are $1350 + your refundable $150 performance bond. If you take the $1350 and divide it by the number of games you get, you'll find that we're right in line with the other leagues in the city.

Rumor #6: The WTFL doesn't have any games at the stadium:
We have a stadium day set for Saturday, July 18th. We also have the stadium booked in October for championships.

Rumor #7: The WTFL doesn't have an indoor league so it cannot spread false rumors around during the off season:
Guilty as charged.

If you have any other concerns about the league, please let us know.

Comment Posted by danny Apr 14, 2009 05:48 AM

the last one is classic! well done and thank you!

Comment Posted by heisman Apr 14, 2009 06:10 AM

After PIT football tried to lure us 2008 DIV 5 champs(the Blue Bongers) to the new league, we have decided to stay in the WTFL in the 4th division. Im fully expecting the same quality game that the WTFL has provided us the past few years. I would encourage other teams who do not have players on multiple teams to do the same, as this year elite players won't be trying to own lower divisions like years past. It should make for a very fair and competitive season. See you guys on the field.

Comment Posted by marc Apr 14, 2009 06:17 AM

You're welcome Danny.

Thanks for sticking with us Garrett. I think you should expect the league to be even better this year.

Comment Posted by Shadrack Apr 14, 2009 07:44 AM

Marc
From our standpoint, the multi team rule effects us in a few ways. Damian and I have played together for years and due to the Avengers possibly moving over to the WTFL that would eliminate Damian playing on the Micronauts so our only option is to move our team to another league.
There does seem to be some notable teams and refs that are switching to other leagues. I would have rather seen some individuals help fix what is broken in the WTFL than just leaving, but I do understand that some frustrations have been around for years so maybe people just got tired of the "same old same old".
Not being on the board, I can't really comment on first hand info, but there is a lot of second hand info floating around from people I consider to be very honest and reliable people.
If things stay the way they are now, I do regret that we will have no choice but to play somewhere that allows us to keep our team complete.
That coming from someone who has close to 20 years in the WTFL.

Comment Posted by wil Apr 14, 2009 08:13 AM

Having been away from the league for a time, I don't have a handle on the most contentious issues pertaining to the WTFL though it's clear there are some differences of opinion. If someone wouldn't mind taking some time to articulate them, I would appreciate your effort in doing so. Thanks.

BT ( Ratz )

Comment Posted by s34 Apr 14, 2009 01:17 PM

I think the other things teams need to remember is that the WTFL is non-profit as opposed to all the other leagues in the city and profitability and what's good for those who run the league (I'm guessing they don't have any volunteer boards and all decisions will be made unilaterally) will be the #1 concern of all the other leagues.

Comment Posted by snapper30 Apr 15, 2009 05:11 AM

Hey Al
just curious I thought the Avengers were moving to the new Pit Outdoor league??
not moving to the WTFL...then the Micronauts could stay in the WTFL, no??
Anyways good luck this year whichever league you guys go with.

I would like to echo the same comments as Blue Bongers..looking forward to playing
this year in the WTFL..should be a lot of fun..The WTFL has always provided the
Woodys with a great touch football experience, I would not expect anything less, so
we will continue to support the dub
thanks
Joey
Woodys

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com