Forums » General » Schedule

Messages for Schedule

Comment Posted by Marcus May 12, 2006 06:45 AM

The schedule is up on the website now. Click on schedule at the top of the site.

Double check your schedule, (it has already been checked numerous times) just incase.

Send any questions about it to schedules@wtfl.ca

Comment Posted by speed kills May 12, 2006 07:21 AM

I like that we play at little mountain they have good wings!! lol

Comment Posted by Marcus May 12, 2006 08:05 AM

maps of each field location will be up shortly too

Comment Posted by Norm May 12, 2006 08:38 AM

Just wondering with the OC Schedule, maybe there was a mistake we only play the hurricanes once, and play a few other teams three times a piece

Norm
OC

Comment Posted by lmitchnik May 12, 2006 12:46 PM

I just looked at the Anvils schedule and it is definitely not balanced. I understand with a 14 team division you cannot play everyone twice, but we have 4 games against Ninja Militia and none against El Paquitos or River City Hitmen. I think we should play each team at least once, but I imagine would be a nightmare to change now.

Leslie
Anvils

Comment Posted by Sean May 12, 2006 01:34 PM

I agree, one team (Nija Militia) four times and we don't even get to play 2 teams even once?

Sean
Anvils.

Comment Posted by cMACK May 12, 2006 05:19 PM

This is the same case for the fockers, we play one team four times, and not two other teams in our division.

Comment Posted by Snatch May 12, 2006 05:49 PM

Ya we play venom 4 times and only play el toros, wade miller, six, and bondiddy bengals once each. couldn't the schedule ba slightly more balanced. i know the scheduler has to take each teams schedule requests into account, but one team 4 time, one team twice and 4 teams only once is a little lopsided. especially if one team or another is head and shoulders above the others and a team has to play them 4 times.

Comment Posted by Nopes May 12, 2006 08:11 PM

I've done scheduling on a smaller scale by putting on sports tournaments (being a Phys Ed teacher), and it can be such a HUGE hassel. It doesn't make you feel very appreciated when people crap on your hard work. No matter what you do, you can't please them all.

On behalf of "SIX," awesome job on the scheduling :o)

Comment Posted by jkarsin May 13, 2006 02:35 AM

No doubt that scheduling is a very tough, challenging and often unappreciated job. I understand that but I'm still not entirely pleased with how our schedule worked out. As noted above, we play one team 4 times... which is tough in a new team division especially if one of these teams is good enough to play in a higher division and the other is constantly getting waxed (no fun at all).

My other beef is that 70% of our games are on the weekend. We only play 4 games during the week! This could be a challenge for us in the summer. I thought this league was going to try and do less weekend games? ... at least try to spread out the weekday games fairly to all teams.

j

Comment Posted by trhoden May 13, 2006 03:21 AM

All you guys have to realize that there are 68 teams not including rain out slots woman’s etc. On top of it every team has some kind of sched request there for picture 60 paper with a millions days that can not be played on. Jon for the most did everything he could to try and make everyone happy. The is why he spent 8 hour a day for at least a week trying to get the sched as best as he could. For once can people see past there own selfishness and just be happy with what they have and realize that they are not the only team out there. This is one of the hardest jobs in the entire league give everyone a break. This is going to be a great season lets start thinking football!!!

Todd

Comment Posted by spider May 13, 2006 06:13 AM

Quite frankly,

heh!heh! no pun intended,...

as last year's scheduller, I am glad I am just that. J, why don't you just quit bellyaching and get some better players? I mean you are in new team division. You are playing primarily for fun. If they are all new teams, then how do you know who is better than the other guy? and ah....

How would you expect the scheduller to know?

Maybe he set up the schedule so there would be "rivalries" created? Does it really matter if you play some other new team a few more times??? Arrange so that the winner buys a 24 for the next game. Make it some fun.

In reality, maybe most of the teams had requests that contradicted each other, so no one would be happy with getting their requests granted. And ya gotto play sometime.

If you really want to bitch,contact your city councillor, and demand to know why youth soccer gets fields "mass booked," and do not have to pay for unused fields inthe summertime, and therefore the fields are theirs to keep,without being available to you and me(the tax payer)

Now, our President, spends hours and hours and hours chasing the city field booking person, for the names of soccer league convenors so he can call each soccer association, or then, each team, (whoever has the permits), again spending hours and hours and hours, so he might get them, to make available fields for us adults, just so YOU, JK, can have a nicer field to play on.

In May and June the city made 2 fields available to this 65 team league. TWO........as in "this location and that location"(Charring Cross and Optimist.....Therefore, if you wanted to play only on weekdays, you would be playing probably, once a month for 14 months!!!!
So, figure it out. Don't bitch to the league. Bitch to your CITY COUNCILLOR! and yes I am already e-mailing my man, Gord Steeves also.

I think many teams have some weekend games.

Look at the positives...You don't have to rush to the game from work, nor do you have to rush home after the game. Do some real team bonding. Besides, the family is probably tired of the same old, same old, "going to the lake on the weekend." Geez after you retire from football you can go out there all the time.

Bring the family out to the game, and let them see Daddy be a "football hero." Hear your wife voice speak her un-spoken words, as she secretly, cheers on her macho-man,..."J go out there and make me proud," or "J,...get me the big one!!!" Have her bring the camera and take a few action shots.

Did you catch the Knute Rockne movie on Turner Classic channel last night? He spoke to some beaurocratic group about the virues of football, and how it made men out of boys, taught North Americans toughness. (Why do you think we won all those wars???!!)

Football is a peacetime substitute for war. protect territory. throw bombs, blitz the QB...Be a football hero and let that girl of your dreams come to watch.

Furthermore,someone bring out the bar -b-que to the game, set up the burgers and the hot dogs and the beverages (softdrinks) and do some team bonding. Watch the next game, have some laughs,....talk about this Knute Rockne thread....That tailgate party would probably go along way to making the experience even better than the lake.

Have you ever been to an NFL game and the pre-game tailgate parties? They are a life time eye opening experience. Why not do that here? The "WTFL JK Tailgate party." You should see the ones in Miami

(I am going at XMAS for the Dolphins/ Jet game...anyone want to meet me down there????)

Het Lucas, get Sun parties.com to arrange a WTFL Miami=Dolphins .NT Jets game over the Xmas holidays. There J, you could bring the family to a real big "lake" the Atlantic Ocean!!! (Miami SouthBeach!!! - hey, nudgenudge, wink wink!!!)

Just let me know where and when you set up the Darkness WTFL/JK tailgate party.

...and do write your city councillor, about the unavailability of the city fields to adult user groups...US!

Remember J. when you get too old, and can't particpate, you'll look back and wonder why you ever complained!

Let's look forward to HER words J, " Daddy, go out there and make me proud!"(and if it's the girlfriend, throw in the "get me the big one."!!)(Touchdown!)

Football!

Comment Posted by rey May 13, 2006 06:32 AM

tears to my eyes, baby....

Comment Posted by bt May 13, 2006 06:49 AM

J-Rock, you've been p'wned! Yahtzee!

We'll have to set up the BBQ the night before for all our 9 am Sunday games or just stay all night...

Rich

Comment Posted by cookie May 13, 2006 06:52 AM

great job on the schedule ... it couldn't have been easy with all the requests

Comment Posted by jkull May 13, 2006 06:58 AM

I agree....with the great job comments. With all of the teams with players from multiple teams, there are far less conflicts than past seasons. Great job guys! Glad you offered to do it.

Comment Posted by Token May 13, 2006 07:35 AM

Jon,

I specifically asked for no games in May June and July, the games in August to be played Mondays at 3PM, and only double headers in September. You couldn't get that done???

And Anvils, you should be happy you're not playing El Paquitos. They are going to destroy every team they play.

Mike

Comment Posted by Byatch May 14, 2006 11:12 AM

Thanks for the great sched Jon!

You did an amazing job, FREE OF CHARGE, with 68 teams and limited fields.

You can't make everyone perfectly happy. If playing the same team 4 more times than others is the biggest problem, then we have nothing to worry about.
At least we get to play.

Most requests for specific dates were taken care of. Those teams that didn't make any requests can't complain.

Kudos!!

By the way, Lavallee School(Beliveau & St.Annes) has a wicked field. Soccer on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but maybe it's available on weekends.

See you on the field,

Thurston

Comment Posted by avengers May 14, 2006 02:58 PM

Hello all,

I just wanted to let people know that I have suggested some changes to the schedule to rectify some of the problems outlined. Too many games against one team/not playing a team is my fault and I will try to fix that - but when its 4:00 am and you have been scheduling 550 games over 20 hours you may miss a few things.

With over 65 teams there is simply not enough timeslots in a given week to fit everyone in. With the growth of the league we had to play more weekends than normal - in most leagues it is well known that you play saturdays and sundays throughout the summer, and while we have done our best to avoid this situation in previous years, we do have to play weekends to get all the games in (either that or we have a 10 game season). New teams did get a bit more weekends, but that was because a bunch of new teams did request to play weekends, and with reffing schedules it is much easier to set up multiple new team games together to faciliate reffing assignments (because those teams have fewer refs)

I do invite constructive feedback (you are an idiot is not constructive). Teams need to remember that if you request no weekends and another team in your division requests no weekdays, there has to be a compromise (and conflicting schedules is the norm). Of the 65 teams I had over 40 scheduling requests - some reasonable, some VERY ridiculous. The league rule has traditionally been 1 request per team - five teams gave me MORE THAN 15 scheduling requests each. No way I can accomodate them all.

I have recieved more positive than negative responses to the schedule, however as always we know that the negative is more likely to be aired in a public forum.

Hopefully this gives everyone an idea of how the scheduling was undertaken.

Jon

Comment Posted by spider May 14, 2006 05:32 PM

Again Jon,

Thanks for taking on this task. The boys complain of inconveniences, because they want to try their best and have good results. Good for them for speaking up, and amazing that you can find solutions to the problems so quick!!

You must be religious person, because you have the patience of a saint,...er, an Avenger.

Day one will be but a memory in 23 hours.

"Let the Games begin"

Comment Posted by nomads May 14, 2006 06:06 PM

If it took Jon that long just think how fast he could have done it with beer.
I think I've said this before but here goes. Isn't there a computor program out there and if there is I say up the fees and lets get it.
Glen

Comment Posted by snapper30 May 15, 2006 03:53 AM

Jon
Great Schedule!!!
Thanks for the hard work
Joey
Woodys

Comment Posted by griz May 15, 2006 04:57 AM

Jonnie sched looks good, job well done considering you're an Oiler fan. The only concern I have is this chuck Norris team in new div, I don't think they realize that name was ours from indoor, be more original this ain'y the cfl roughrider dillema!! Unfortunately the Chuck AllStars are gonna have to challenge them to a caged football deathmatch, last Chuck standing wins, and yeah we're all gonna grow beards to hide our third fist!!!

Comment Posted by pfpicass May 17, 2006 02:57 PM

jon, props to you for a tough untertaking with the schedule, with the few who are upset with playing a team numerous times, there are people like myself who appreciate you can give a time and place for me to get away from day to day life for a while and play some ball. id wouldnt mind playing u blazers 4 times and settle it in the final with game 5.

im a little late, but just read the complaints.

paul

Comment Posted by jkull May 17, 2006 04:08 PM

Griz, as you must know, Chuck Norris always wins, so I would call it a draw. Chuck never loses.

Comment Posted by griz May 17, 2006 05:06 PM

Kull you are right, I stand corrected...And all is back to normal in Norris land.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com