Forums » General » Is there a ball size/type requirement?

Messages for Is there a ball size/type requirement?

Comment Posted by The Tingler May 02, 2009 07:52 AM

I'm under the impression that teams are required to bring their own ball. Just wondering if anyone could tell me if it needs to be CFL regulation size? Or is the next size under okay? Thanks.

Comment Posted by marc May 02, 2009 08:30 AM

From the rule book:

8.1 Teams may use their own football during the game or, if they agree, one game
ball may be used by both teams. Each league or tournament can set its own
specifications regarding the dimensions and type of football to be used based on the age
and skill of the participants. No team or player is permitted to make alterations to the
natural surface of the ball being used. Teams doing so will be penalized ten yards for
objectionable conduct.

You do not have to use the CFL ball. Many teams in the league use an NFL ball, or the college ball, or the $20 wal-mart special. For mens though it should be fairly close to official size and then nobody will complain. What I mean by that is you won't see anybody using a Youth sized ball.

For the women's division they commonly use the junior/youth sized ball.

The officials don't check the balls during the game unless somebody complains.

Does this help?

Comment Posted by goodguy123 May 02, 2009 02:28 PM

So in other words, there is no rule or regulation on which size ball to use unless your opponent complains. In which case, the officials dont have a leg to stand on because there is no such rule in place. Got it!!

Comment Posted by marc May 02, 2009 02:33 PM

I don't think it's ever been an issue, but if you'd like us to add a rule, then we certainly can do that. The point of my post was to say that you don't have to spend $100 on an official ball.

Comment Posted by ging11 May 02, 2009 05:03 PM

I know people who alter the surface of their balls.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com