Forums » General » Anyone wanting more positive things? Chase the Cure Fundraiser

Messages for Anyone wanting more positive things? Chase the Cure Fundraiser

Comment Posted by nicole May 08, 2009 12:33 PM

My name is Nicole Laping. I was the Women's Division Liaison for the league last year and play on the Iron Maidens (winner of the coolest name for a team award (?!). My brother Mike has played in the league for years (and typed lots on this forum I understand) and my sister Susie played last season as well.

Anyway, I think it's time to focus on something positive to get the season going. I am organizing a fundraiser for Wes Bauer's Chase the Cure.

Wes is Lyle Bauer's son. He is starting a cross country bike ride to raise awareness about cancer. Unfortunately alot of us have been touched by cancer. Our Dad, Nick Laping was diagnosed with acute leukemia January 2009 and passed away 4 weeks later from complications of aggressive chemotherapy. Never sick a day in his life, our Dad was a strong supporter of football in Manitoba quarterbacking the 1962-66 Bison team and coaching at the U of M, Rods, Oak Park and St.Pauls High School. Wes posted on his blog after our dad passed away and we were very touched by his words.

http://chasethecure.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html

Wes will be peddling through Winnipeg mid-June and this is a great opportunity to show our support, get together and have some laughs.

Date: Thursday June 18, 2009
Time: 5-8 p.m.
Place: Palomino Club on Portage Avenue
Tickets: minimum $10.00 includes steak sandwich, fries and a beer ($6 dollars of the ticket cost will pay for the food and drink--if you don't want to eat the full $10 will go to the cause).

If you have any ideas for silent auction prizes or for more information on tickets please email nickandwes@mts.net

Would love to see you there! I hope everyone enjoys the season!

Thank you for reading.
Nicole Laping Go Maidens!

Comment Posted by andy26 May 08, 2009 01:21 PM

Nicole,

Sorry to hear about your loss and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I suggest as the event gets closer to remind us about it as I'm sure many of us would like to attend.

Have a great season!

Andy

Comment Posted by silver fox May 13, 2009 12:57 PM

Hi Nicole,

Great post! I am on the Board for the Never Alone Foundation for which the Chase the Cure ride is part of the foundation. This is a great cause and I suggest that perhaps you and I could meet or at least have a conversation as you plan this event. I think I can help with prizing and maybe a few other things.

You know my email address so I will look forward to discussing this with you further, at your convenience.

Jim

Comment Posted by Polish Prince May 14, 2009 05:48 AM

i am a st. pauls alum and had a chance to meet nick laping. fantastic guy and everything posted on that blog about him is true. very sorry for your loss(i think losing a guy like that is everyones loss). is there a way i can buy a ticket even if i cannot attend?

PS too bad his son jeff isnt more like him... just kidding mr. laping. dont give me a jug.

Comment Posted by snapper30 May 14, 2009 09:15 AM

I am not a St.Pauls Alum but a Birchwood Auto Alum..I would echo the words in the blog by Wes in regards to Nick.

Nick was an awesome individual...he gave me a shot in the automotive industry with no experience approx. 12 years ago...some of the best times I had with him were hanging out at West Hawk with Nick and loving family(his wife Bev,another fantastic invdividual)
I was truly saddened with the news of his passing..I would like to extend my condolences to you Nicole.

I would like to extend my support to this evening... I really hope the guys and the gals of the WTFL will come out that night and show their support.

Joey Fryza
Woodys

Comment Posted by nicole May 27, 2009 12:46 PM

CHALLENGING ALL TEAMS:

I've got commitments from Jim Bell of The Eagles, Chris Lucas of The Sunparties, Joey Fryza of The Woodys and the Iron Maidens Women's B Champions (OH YAH!) to raise money for Chase the Cure.

Just a reminder of what this is all about: Wes Bauer, Lyle Bauer's son, is biking across Canada to raise awareness about cancer (today he is in Calgary en route to Winnipeg mid June). Our Dad, Nick Laping was diagnosed with acute leukemia January 2009 and passed away 4 weeks later from complications of aggressive chemotherapy. Never sick a day in his life, our Dad was a strong supporter of football in Manitoba quarterbacking the 1962-66 Bison team and coaching at the U of M, Rods, Oak Park and St.Pauls High School. Wes posted on his blog after our dad passed away and we were very touched by his words.

http://chasethecure.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html

Anyway, details...
JUNE 18th Beer and Steak Sandwich
10 bucks a ticket
Palomino Club
Prize packages will include Bomber gear, Moose gear, and tons of other great stuff (I hope--donations accepted.)

WHICH WTFL TEAM CAN RAISE THE MOST CASH?!? Email nickandwes@mts.net for more info.

GO MAIDENS!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com