Forums » General » The All-Maze "Rookie" team

Messages for The All-Maze "Rookie" team

Comment Posted by spider May 14, 2006 08:14 AM

OK no one asked, but it's a slow Sunday morning so, what the heck.

The All-MAZE "Rookie" team

I say "Rookie" because by definition, the New Team Division allows teams to play there for 3 years. Therefore, in my warped frame of reference,and the purposes of this thread, "Rookie" will be equivalent to a three year player.

Now I must remind you, that at my age remebering these guys names is an accomplishment. Also, due to that fact I honestly believe these guys are relatively close to being no more than 3 year veterans..er rookies (as per my definition) please allow for a plus or minus 1 year!!

OK here we go,

1.) Kelsey Grey, Center -Assassins - discovered in Mazur's Indoor league. Incredible hands, unbelieveable speed for a big man. Has displaced former Al-Star, Bill Coulter from the center position This former Rods lineman plays on the top team in Manitoba, against the best competition in Canada.Will eventually lead his team at the Nationals, with at least one player of the game award.For these reasons he is argueably, the # 1 young player in the Province.

2.) Suk Singh - SunParties .com. Receiver/DB. This former Kelvin High School, University of Winnipeg Wesmen, basketball player, is the perfect touch football player. Fast, can jump, is tenacious, driven, and has incredible "hand -eye" co-ordination. Has a great competitive desire, and seems to strive to win every play. Rarely beaten on any play...Gets better with every game, and will eventually lead his team at the Nationals, with at least one player of the game award.

3.) Trevor Bell - Eagles receiver - 20 year old, missed last season with a concussion (should be on par with his father then)Quickly worked himself into the starting line up of the # 2 team in the province. Daddy, Jim. "Ringma" Bell, and junior Trevor, had already worked out a beautiful- to -watch corner comeback,second to none in the league. Prior to the injury, like all Eagle receivers, he would go any where to catch a pass. Now,apparently recovered, he will lead the most dynamic offense in the league. Still needs to play at a higher level (nationals)

4..) Phil Chan- Maniax, former 3 x Oak Park High School Champion as a Linebacker/Rb, Winnipeg Rifles. This relatively still unknown, should be playing Elite, but isn't ..yet. Plays center,receiver,DB and can rush. Great speed, and athletic...and as an Oak Park Grad,and Bramwell coached player, knows the game. Might be the best long term all-star on the list. Need to getup into Elite div.

4.)Brad Black- Receiver/DB. Sisler? U.of MB Bisons. This future CFL player has only played a couple seasons, and won the WTFL's fastest man last year. Currently, the starting Cornerback on the U of MB Bison Football team,this WTFL All-Star, also won Player of the Week honours in the CIS, for his punt returning skills. Enjoy him while you can,because in two years he'lll be in the CFL

5.)Ziggy Haliuk - receiver/Db - "discovered" in Mazur's Indoor league. Former Ultimate league star. Emotional competitor, tough, passionate, driven. Led Indoor scoring in several individual games with multiple 4 TD games!! This guy can fly. Needs to be seen at the Elite level.

6.) Mike Brownridge -receiever/DB - Avengers. - had a breakout year last year with the Banditos. A longtime star in the Ultimate league, this talented, tenacious, good speed and great hands receiver goes about his job quietly and effectively. One of those guys you don't notice until checking the scorecard and he has 3 Tds, and a dozen catches. Like many younger receivers , we have to see him at the national Elite level to see how good he can be.

7.) Gavin Panchuk - Receiver/DB- discovered in Mazur's Indoor league. Incredible hands, great speed. Has gotten better each season. Stepped away from the # 1 team to play with a former intermediate team. Hurt his ranking playing against lesser competition. Need to see him play at the national Elite level to
see how good he can be.

8.) Dan Johnson- Outsiders, Rifles, Receiver. This quiet, smooth receiver has great hands and runs great patterns. Has demonstrated good potential, but has to get out of "intermediate" and play with the big boys.

9.) Mike Rosenby - Blazers? Woodies? Rusher - Indoor league discovery. Fast, tenacious, and with a great attitude. Made many big plays playing Indoor. The best pure rushing prospect in the league.Of course has to be seen at the Elite level, to demonstrate where he stands.

10.)Ogo Okwumabua - Sun Parties - Corner. This former Uiversity of Manitoba basktball star, has incredible range, and great footwork fundamentals. Has gotten better every year, and challenges for every ball. At well over 6' 4" he is a tough guy to go deep over. Will play at the National's in Winnipeg, and has his defensive coach extremely excited over the possibilities that await he and the team.

11.) Neil Crockford - Nomads/Eagles- U. of Mb Bisons. Corner. This fast, driven,skilled DB has gotten better each of his 3 years in the league,and will now be suiting up with the Eagles. Can cover anyone, and will help re-vamp a "staid" defensive group, thereby making them a team ready to challenge and take the WTFL Elite div title, in 06

12.) Marlon Richards - Sun parties.com - rusher/db. Demonstrated great potential as a rookie. Fast, tenacious, quick. However inconsistent participation leaves him ranked down the list. Needs to show whether he is into the game or just having fun. Will also play at the Nationals,and also has the ability to earn Player of the game honors.

13.) Neal Einarson- QB - Teams- too many. Winner of the 2004 Quarterback Challenge, this young pivot has emerged as a leader and a winner. Great reading ability and is elussive, with a decent arm. Has consistently demonstrated great leadership skills in playing with different teams and taking them far into the playoffs. Would like to see him continue to develop, and take his teams up through the divisions, eventually competing at the Elite level

14.) David Silva - North End Stealers New Team Division- Receiver/Rusher/Db. This fun loving soccer player is quick, fast and skilled. Ever talking, but always seeming to enjoy the game, he leads his team with big plays as a rusher. DB or receiver. A potential game breaker,and one of the best with a new team. It would be interesting to see him compete with the top divsions.

OK there you have it. the top 14, "All- Maze Pre-season team All-Stars for 2006."

Let's keep an eye on the scoring summaries and stat sheets for these guys names

Comment Posted by mel May 15, 2006 03:55 PM

You forgot to put down Donovan Alexander of the Maniax. A 3 year current starting D.B. at U.N.D. and a very likely C.F.L. player in the near future.This guy can fly.Donovan and Phil along with Justin Noble(Rods) should provide a solid nucleus on the Maniax defence this year.

Comment Posted by Token May 15, 2006 04:16 PM

Darrell,

For Gavin, if you mean lesser competition as in him dominating the Assassins three times during the indoor league this season, then I guess you're right.

Comment Posted by jyaw27 May 15, 2006 04:27 PM

Hey Mel....what happened to that ballhog you had on your team last year (Simon Ward? i think). Hopefully you got rid of him, all he did was cost your team the playoffs lol

Comment Posted by mel May 15, 2006 04:54 PM

Simon Ward is a classy elite player and helped our team win many games. He was a lot of fun to have on our team. Apparently Simon has moved to British Columbia.We lost in the playoffs last year because we could not score enough points.It certainly was not Simon's fault we lost. Simon worked his butt off for our team every game he played.We would be honored to have him back but unfortunately some team in B.C.will benefit from his talents.We win as a team-we lose as a team.

Comment Posted by rey May 15, 2006 06:43 PM

dm, fyi...
a few synonyms for tenacious: persevering, persistent, determined, dogged, strong-willed, tireless, indefatigable, resolute, patient, unflagging, staunch, steadfast, untiring, unwavering, unswerving, unshakable, unyielding, insistent; stubborn, intransigent, obstinate, obdurate, stiff-necked; rock-ribbed; pertinacious

my personal favourite is indefatigable, although obdurate is pretty groovy as well.

Comment Posted by spider May 15, 2006 06:58 PM

Geez Token,

Gavin's a very good player. Indoor is a different game. Playing intermediate athletes is way different than Elite div. Like many of the province's top players, these guys need to compete with the best. I need to see a guy "bring it" when they play with other better players, like at TOC, or Regina Elite div

I understand that you may not "get that." The guys that do, look to play with the best and against the best. But I don't have to sell that philosophy to anyone. The guys at the top level already understand that. You only get better playing and practicing against the best. Excell in that competition, and I am sold...Anything else seems to be a little self serving, and ego gratifying.

Somebody in Elite give these boys a call, so we can see these All- Maza All-Stars,"bring it."

And hey, Sun parties, I'll say it for ya, Opening Day....May 15, Sun Parties .com, brought a ton of it......

Now that's what I'm talking about. Congratulations!

Mel Thanks for the heads up. I'll check your man out. Sounds like he has a good pedigree. Where did he play HS or minor?

I heard he is even faster than , Brad, "if you blink you'll miss him" Black! WTFL Fastest Man. August 18th. Is he still in town?

Simon was a great player also. He would have been on this team if he was still in the league.

Comment Posted by spider May 15, 2006 07:15 PM

Hey Rey,

If I could spell or remember half those words, I'd be further ahead. My vocabulary is fairly limited. I use words like: "bring it" or "kahoonas" (balls!!) and of course "daffy!" oh, and also, Thank you!

Comment Posted by nomads May 15, 2006 07:35 PM

Hey Darrell: What you did with the Rookies was very good. Why don't you do a critique of all the players that you see while you are reffing.( negatives included)except me. If you could put it in print I would publish it(make a book) and we can have a lot of fun.
This is good for our league.
Glen

Comment Posted by mel May 16, 2006 02:58 AM

Darrell, Donovan played his high school football for the St. Paul Crusaders.The UND Fighting Sioux web site has his bio and stats.He will be making his WTFL debut this evening at Optimist.

Comment Posted by spider May 16, 2006 04:56 AM

I feel like this is American Idol, and you are Siomon Cowell.

Is this the first nice thing you have said this season?

Well Glen,

When you get to be in as bad a condition as I, this is all I can contribute to the league. But, as fate may have it, I was thinking about a couple more versions of All-Star categories (By the way Mel thanks for the update. Can you send me the link or website for UND. I AM too lazy to punch it up.)

Glen, It has occured to me that in my opinion, I do have two more All-Star teams, besides the All-"Rookie" team. These would be the All- WTFL All-Star Team(some of the Rooks may be on that one also)and the second one that would be more fun would be the "All- Oldtimer" All-Star Team.

There are a lot of really good old guys still playing, and what's cool about them is that they don't have a chip on their shoulder, like we used to have when we were younger. (Maybe not chip, but edginess) So now, when they do execute a good play, they sometimes laugh about how it's even possible to do so at such and "old-age"

I was telling Kathy Harmon during Indoor, that 50 year olds probably are not supposed to "run" So watching, the Legends, waddle/run, is kinda funny. But as you know, Glen, being able to do that is kind of amazing. Especially when the 50 year old beats the 25 year old!!!

I don't believe our dads could have done that. So this is an interesting sociological event, probably unique to our generation.

Something to consider. I'll get on it!

Comment Posted by Sly May 16, 2006 07:46 AM

I will say it right now, Donovan Alexander will be an all-star and he is the fastest guy in the league.

Comment Posted by mel May 16, 2006 05:31 PM

Donovan played his first game today.What an amazing debut. Two touchdowns on amazing individual effort runs,a touch down pass,and an interception. This guy is a pleasure to watch. Conratulations on a great performannce.

Comment Posted by enclumes92 May 17, 2006 04:18 AM

What I don't understand is if Maniax is loaded with these elite caliber players, what the hell is this team doing in 4th division ? Statshogs ???
2 touchdowns and a pick, I did that too. So what ? Football is a team sport. As it was posted earlier, we win as a team - we lose as a team. Why should we care about individual stats ?

Comment Posted by Sly May 17, 2006 05:01 AM

I totally agree, the team comes first. We just got hammered by a team with no real superstars but they had a very balanced attack (Ironically though, one of the people on that rookie list was on that team). But this thread is about rookies, what's wrong with giving them some props? It's all in good fun.

Comment Posted by spider May 17, 2006 12:13 PM

Hey Dudes,

If you do have some budding stars on the team, give them some props on the site. If I get lucky and hook up with some sponsor,maybe we can recognize the boys more formally. It's all opinion and subjective, but really, our guys have been way more fun to watch than the Bombers.

So, if you are "new" and I for one have not mentioned your "All-Star"give me, some info, or better yet, post it yourself. I totally subscribe to "TEAM" but, like I said it was a slow Sunday morning. Noting our Stars is kinda fun, and besides, it can make us look forward to comin out and watching some games, maybe??!!

Obviously, new teams, will be ignored, because thay are "new" and I don't know them. So HELP!! Get them Rooks up there!!Friends and family....OK team reps,get your dudes up there.

And start thinking about your All-Star game nominee(teams pick their own representative....'cause they REALLY know who is the MVP) And....not to be leftout, pick your 5 guys? for the team relay which is a monster competition.

Oh and while I am at it, a rep for the Quarterback Challenge (obstacle course and target hitting which is timed), the WTFL fastest man, the Longest Throw,the Longest Punt,and the DB Challenge, ooops and the Receiver/Jugs Challenge.

These are all sponsored and all the winners receive a nice prize donated by one of our corporate friends.Likewise, all selected Players receive a prize package and get to keep their authentic WTFL All-Star game jersey.

Two games- Aug 18, Stadium, Hooters reception complimentary wings, platters and beer bought by the league and Hooters, plus Hooters Bombers giveaways and Trivia contest, follow the game.

Festivities start at 5:30 pm on the Friday,with the sign in. Rookie (new Team and div 5) game goes at 6:15, Regular game goes at 7:30ish.

More to come, but start your planning. Oh yeah, and there is the best fans Contest, won by NERF, two years in a row.

Long live Nerf!

Comment Posted by DP May 17, 2006 02:38 PM

Keep your eyes open for more than just David Silva on the North End Stealers!
By the way when is the All-Star game? Aug right?

Comment Posted by jyaw27 May 17, 2006 04:38 PM

So is this new "all-star" on the maniax the new QB or the new ball-hog who takes over for their qb at the half when they're losing?? Just curious, their last "all-star" fit that mold. I felt bad for the rest of the players on that team who showed up, paid their money just to watch the same guy either cry when every pass wasnt thrown in his direction and hogged the ball when he went in as qb (more like running back cuz he couldnt throw for shit). Glad that dude is in BC.

Comment Posted by spider May 17, 2006 06:57 PM

Wow,

Are there ever some jealous bitter people out there. Simon's gone man, leave him alone already. FYI, the Maniax do a pretty good job recruitin. Mel Hersiak for GM of the Year!

Comment Posted by rockstar May 18, 2006 11:14 AM

-i agree with darryl this is a props thread for new up and comers

-great athletes doesn't always mean good team

-give them time to gel and move up when they are confident

-with that said lets try not to player hate

Comment Posted by mel May 18, 2006 11:52 AM

Your right rock star. Three elite players on a team does not automatically qualify a team to play in an elite division. A team must earn its way up the competitive ladder to play in higher divisions.It takes seven individuals playing as a cohesive unit to win.Bashing players a person does not even know because they are athletically gifted is very deplorable and dispicable.There is no room for this kind of blind unwarranted hate in the WTFL.This is a recreational league. Lets not get carried away.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com