Forums » General » Membership question - 16 game schedule more realistic

Messages for Membership question - 16 game schedule more realistic

Comment Posted by spider Sep 12, 2009 05:27 PM

OK it's a gorgeous Saturday afternoon, and two of the teams barely have enough players to play........ matter of fact they take a delay of game penalty. 5 more minutes in one case and they would have defaulted.

Maybe it's time to re-evaluate this 18 game schedule. If after 16 games, and a drive for a play-off spot, great weather,fall season, teams choose not to bother to have their guys show up,why even bother with playing??? It was kind of insulting and even embarassing to see this situation.....I thought these games would be hard fought, dynamic affairs. Yikes, was I ever mistaken

I can see games in the summer being difficult to get guys out for, but Fall time, play-off implications??? If these teams don't care, why bother playing?

Maybe it's time to reduce the schedule to 16 games. Maybe making the schedule 16 games would alleviate these two games which no one seems to want to play.

Anyone in favour of 2 less games? maybe use the extra cash to give each team a stadium game and a slight lower registration fee?

Sure hope the next few weeks see the intensity return, and people actually care about their wins and losses.

Comment Posted by mb325 Sep 13, 2009 05:38 AM

maybe it's the fact the games were on a weekend. players with families / kids may have family commitments. It is also near the end of the season and injuries are starting to have an impact on how many players a team can field. just my thoughts.

Comment Posted by heisman Sep 13, 2009 07:04 PM

Yeah half our team the Blue Bongers play or coach real football Saturdays and that is a lot more important to us than touch football. We knew we would be short players but worked hard to field a team not to forfeit. No matter how long the schedule is when playoff positions are already decided why would either side give it their all and risk injury, I think it would be fair to say we were feeling each other out. We have also had 3 of our 15 guys go down with season ending injuries already, so don't tell me we don't care to field a team cause it was hard getting 7 guys to the start of that game. I think I speak for most teams when apoligizing to you Spider for having lives outside of touch football, but we do enjoy it so if you want less games than ref less games and let us play our embarrassing games without you.

Comment Posted by marc Sep 13, 2009 07:33 PM

Blue Bongers had requested no Saturdays for the year (which we've mostly been able to do), but toughed it out by fielding a team that day to get a rainout game in.

Exact same story for the Dogg Pound.

So both teams were doing their best to get in a rainout game in and I appreciate it.

Having said that though, 16 game schedule with fees adjusted accordingly might not be a bad thing. 16 games + 2 tournaments would be more fun.

Comment Posted by spider Sep 14, 2009 04:20 AM

Yeah, no respect intended. All the teams that play with reduced rosters show the spirit of the game and character. Just wondering if teams really want to play 18 games? (amd of course with the theory, of "less games" means they would be more significant?)

16 games and a tournament or two would be really cool as well. Tournament games allow for a short intense period of play, for sure, plus you'd actually get more than 16 games plus the two tourney games if you kept on winning in the tourney.....hmmmm more bang for your buck!!! That's cool!

Marc, that's a great idea!!!Plus teams might play a "new" team as opposed to the regular division team

Comment Posted by heisman Sep 14, 2009 09:15 AM

I think if we had 16 games and an optional tourney weekend which would be paid at the beginning of the year that might be better. We probably would have gone into the tourney this year but i wasn't about to chase down $300 dollars from the 10 guys who were free that weekend. If we had registered for the tourney at the start of the year it would have been easier to schedule for everyone and we would have had the available funds to play in the tourney.
On the other hand the way it worked out this year that everyone got to play each time twice, so therefore the schedule is balanced was awesome and wouldn't have wanted it any other way. You guys did a great job with the divisions and the schedule in my opinion.
Finally, I think we are interested as a team in the Regina tourney next year, so whoever puts that together if I could get some info that would be awesome, maybe the presence of the blue bongers can bring a new winning tradition to Labour Day for our Bombers LMAO

Comment Posted by marc Sep 14, 2009 07:03 PM

Thanks for the comments Garrett!

We learned a bunch of lessons doing the tournament. One of which is exactly what you mention...have a date planned at registration time.

For the regina tourney, their website is http://www.rtfi.ca, but get in touch with me about it next summer and I can give you some info.

Comment Posted by eagles6 Sep 25, 2009 05:55 AM

To Heisman - The hotels in Regina fill up quick so I suggest booking a bunch of rooms now (not exaggerating). You can always cancel them a week before labour day. Just an FYI.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com