Forums » General » Something New, First ever 3 on 3 Touch football division

Messages for Something New, First ever 3 on 3 Touch football division

Comment Posted by spider Oct 31, 2009 06:43 AM

Hey wanna try something new and different?

Building on the success of the inaugral 3 on 3 tournament two years ago, is the introduction of Canada's first 3 on 3 Division. (This is a division in the World Cup of Flag Football tournament play. The WorldCup qualifiers held at various locations in the United states, and then the World Championships in various countries)) Similar to the basketball version, but also similar to one on one, this ain't foe the faint of heart.

Differing from the tournament format, this is a regular rules game, except for the reduced time. Games will be 30 minutes long, with all the regular rules in place.

Fees are less also, at the new introductory fee of $300.00. That gets you the 5 "regular season" games (following the 5 on 5 games)Game time will be at 12:30 am.

Now to add value to your "buck" The bonus is that All teams will enter a modified tournament play-off, at the conclusion of the season.
The fact that we'll try a new tournament format playoff...so you'll get an extra 2-3 games (at least),and if ya keep on winning even more (about 10?)all for that introductory team fee of $300.00.

In the tournament some teams thought having a compliment of 3 defensive guys and 3 offensive guys (or more??) might be a good idea.??? Hey it's all new,so give it a shot?? Butit's 3 on 3 ..QB, center and receiver. Rusher and two DBs. (Don't forget the center is an eligible receiver)

Obviously, with 3 on the floor, there is a lot of "room to roam" and there won't be room for hidin. This ain't your daddy's touch league. There won't be room for passengers, as those wide open spaces will likely expose any defensive flaws.

A great opportunity to work on individual technique, with instant feedback, as the ball is definitly (ok maybe 50/50 chance ) of going to the person you are covering and there is too much room.

So it's Man - o, Oh man -o, or chiquita - chiquita.

If interested, get your group signed up for the "no passenegers" first ever inaugural 3 on 3 "division." Season should start November 14!

for more info email darrellmazur@aol.com,or call 253-3612.

Outdoor season starts in 190 days. Time to shed those winter pounds, Time to get ready for that winter vacation and posin in those speed-oes

Comment Posted by cswanston Oct 31, 2009 07:37 AM

I've seen the 3 on 3 flag in Florida Darrell- it is fast paced! Something tells me the QB can't cross the line of scrimmage. Is this correct? It's a great game for the fast (and young) guys. Lot's of trash talk because of the man on man coverage. Good idea for a Division!

Comment Posted by spider Oct 31, 2009 12:17 PM

Yeah you're right..in the tournament we had two years ago, pioneering this format, saw the QB not able to croos the LOS and run...but I'm thinking,......... maybe,....... if we give each team a "singletime" or "one play only "the QB can takeoff. (refs will mark it onthe scoresheet like they do for timeouts.) I figure that would keep the rusher honest, and he'd have to slow down, in case the QB decides to take off.

However, the QB could only do it one time/game. Violation would be like an "offside pass, (sort of) ...the team would have the down count, BUT with the next down reverting back to the line of scrimmage (on the offside pass in touch FB, the QB gets the gain)

So we'll sort of create a hybrid rule, that discourages the running game!!

And you are right about the younger faster guys.

While, there will be a battle to showcase their skills at receiver Db and QB, I bet the evolution of the center position will be realized. Now QB's will have to have a center who can do more than hook at five. ....Nothing wrong with that, but if you have a Kelsey Grey, or Bll Coulter or Jake at center, you can go "downtown.

But come to think of it, the final saw to Rifle CIS receiver/QB vs "the Legend" Tim Shea and 31 year old Chris Mathieson win the event.

One of the nice things about this division, would be to see the real athletes and real skilled players.

having to cover one on one on a 30 yard wide area, is the same as one on one responsibility on the real field (width wise for the most part), therefore the verticle game or going long is what you are looking for, I would think.

So this division would not only enhance the receivers but QBs and Dbs. Having seen a great receiver like Matty run those posts, and curls emphasizing precision cuts, fakes and the QB dropping the ball into his hands was as close to perfection as there is. Now those boys were experienced, having already put in years of expert practice.

The WTFL and the MITFL, have always been the first to try new ideas, and promote the game of Touch football. Once this idea /division catches on, it will be super to watch.

I feel this is an idea to improve the caliber of our players in Manitoba, to afford them the opportunity to not only showcase their talents, but practice proper fundamentals.

To promote that, I'll also make myself available to "coach" fundamentals or technique if asked. As a former CIS athlete hving played WRand DB, as well as having coached at various amateur levels for 15 years, I think I can share some ideas for both those positions.

We also have the Rods Head Coach, QB coach and Offensive Co-ordinator available, so we'll see if they'd be interested in helping out.

With 30 High schools fielding teams this year, and many new players trying out non-contact touch football, it might be interesting to see how all the younger guys do.

Comment Posted by spider Nov 03, 2009 12:32 PM

OK to get this thing started, for the month of November all 3 on 3 will be free on the nights where there is an open field. Just contact me ahead of the evening and I'll schedule you.

Following that, in December, based on demand we'll charge $5.00/player for 15 minute game. If ya want to play longer add $5.00 / 15 minutes. Games will be limited to 30 minutes.

First come first serve

Woman - 2 for one special on Saturdays only!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com