Forums » General » Spring is here, and the Rumor Mill is too

Messages for Spring is here, and the Rumor Mill is too

Comment Posted by marc Apr 05, 2010 04:23 PM

We've approached that time of year where the snow is gone(sorta) the rumor mill is in full force. There's lots of gossip about which teams are playing in which leagues, which leagues have better fields, which league is better than the other, and so on and so forth. Most of you know what I'm talking about, and for those who don't you are the lucky ones.

I will attempt to clear some of this up:

*Fees*
Yes I know we make you give us $150 for a performance bond but we do give that back to you at the end of the year. It makes our fees look larger than they really are, but we feel that football players really are smart enough to notice that difference. So having said that, $1500-150 = $1350, which is pretty much the same as the other leagues if you price it out on a cost per game basis. In our case though, 100% of the money is put into the league so your money is going towards something you can directly benefit from.

*Fields*
I've talked about this one on another post. We use fields that are actual football fields. Sometimes they have goal posts on them because it turns out most real football fields have those. They are also crowned and are actual athletic fields, not patches of empty grass hidden away in the nether regions of the city.

Our championships are held at the stadium. If this was cheap to do, everybody would do it. Last year 42% of the league got to play at the stadium.
Advantages:
-sweet ass field turf even in chilly October.
-friends and family can come out to watch and get a great view. Video tape your game from a great angle.
-last year we played the finals under the lights, which is about as "primetime" as you can get.
Where would you rather play your finals at?

*A True Elite Division*
For 30+ years, the best teams have chosen the WTFL. The WTFL Elite Trophy is the ultimate prize for Touch Football in Manitoba. To be the best, you have to play the best.

*New this year: Multi-team play with competitive balance*
Some players want to play on two teams. Most teams don't want to play against teams that pull down "ringers" midway through the season. Our new rule allows the best of both worlds: players can play on 2 teams, but teams can't pull down players mid-season. ALWAYS KNOW YOUR COMPETITION!

*Schedules*
We take pride in accommodating your schedule requests. We also ask for feedback when scheduling any rainouts, instead of just handing you a date and expecting you to show up. Prefer a certain side of the city? We will do our best to accommodate you there as well. We also distribute games so that you aren't playing 3 times a week. We also don't schedule games on Mother's/Father's Day, Bomber home games, and Long weekends.

*Certified Officials*
All of our officials are certified by the best official's instructor in the province. We offer free clinics each year for those of you who want to become an official. (Reffing is a paid gig)

*20 Minute Quarters*
This might be a surprise to some of you, but not all leagues time their games the same. The WTFL uses 20 minute quarters. The WTFL officials don't "shave" time, you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Shaving 2 minutes a quarter turns out to be 10% reduction in your playing time. That's like getting almost 2 less games a season.

*For the players by the players...for 30+ years*
Ok I'm having fun with with that tag line, but it is true. The WTFL is run by a board of volunteers whose interest is offering a fair and balanced league for the development of touch football. All members are welcome to join the WTFL Board.

*What are you waiting for?*
At this time of year I know everybody wants to know where everybody is playing before they signup so they can choose the right division. It happens every year. Don't worry about it, just put your team online and we'll sort out the divisions later. Most teams I've talked to said they are coming back but they want to see where everybody else is. Some teams have been signed up on other sites without their knowledge, so it's hard to gauge who is going where. The WTFL is not interested in playing those types of games.

*Need more info?*
If you have any questions you can email the WTFL: executive@wtfl.ca.

Comment Posted by cswanston Apr 06, 2010 09:52 AM

The important thing to remember about the Performance Bond is that it is proven to minimize defaults. That means that you don't have to worry that your opponents are not going to show up for their game with you. In the rare case that it may happen- your team is fanancially compensated for the missed game! All part of the best game time experience!

At the end of the year your Performance Bond is returned to your team. Your team has $150 in the bank for next season or $150 to go towards your wind up :) or whatever you wish to do with it.

The best thing about the WTFL is that as a non-profit league run by a volunteer board all of your fees are put back into the game. Whether it be by Officials Clinics and thus the best Officials, Tournaments, All-Star Competitions or Stadium Games it is always you and your teammates that benefit from your league fees. Your volunteer board does not worry about what portion of your league fees has to go to the owners of the league- because it goes back into the game.

Craig

Comment Posted by bloomfield Apr 06, 2010 12:48 PM

Regarding the performance bond, I think it is a good idea...but...holding it ransom contingent on attending the AGM is not. I have always attended, or had someone from the team attend, the AGM regardless of the bond. However, I really only attended last year's AGM to get the bond money returned. The fall out from the previous year left me feeling that my attendance, opinions, and the opinions of what appeared to be the majority of the league didn't really matter to the board.

Last season worked out fine. We'll vote with our dollars this year...but I'd like to see the ransom eliminated.

Al

Comment Posted by marc Apr 06, 2010 02:48 PM

I wish we didn't have to hold it "ransom" either. I think before the performance bond was brought in, most of the AGM's didn't have enough members present for a quorum which is the main reason to have it. The idea was borrowed from some of the other community run leagues from other sports in the city where it has suited them well.

Of course all it would take is a motion at the AGM to remove any performance bonds and then bring it to a vote. Same goes for anything really.

Comment Posted by cwentz Apr 06, 2010 04:09 PM

Personally, I think it's a good idea, cause how many people would actually go if you didn't "make" them. I know I never did until that's how I needed to get our money back, yea it's not the most exciting night but really it's only a couple hours out of your life and it's information you should know. Makes you appreciate your league when u know to the cent what your money was spent on, and how much the board does behind the scenes to make sure you play gameday.

The first season I played in the W, we had 3 Saturday morining defaults and I didn't get a cent for dragging my hungover ass to feild to turn around and go home, probably cause the teams didn't own up and pay the $50 fee at year end. If I gotta put up $150 and listen to what the league did all year to get it back; or more if a team or ref didn't show gameday, I can live with that!

So if it comes to vote at the next agm I'll vote to keep it as is, that's just me tho lol.

Comment Posted by Jyuen Apr 06, 2010 05:53 PM

If people wanted to go to the AGM they would. If they have a grievance or concern, that's where they go to air it. That being said if you had no grievance or no reason to go, why force them to go. Perhaps this is something that New Team/Rec Teams should have to pony up because they have not earned their stripes in the league. But certainly to veteran teams that have proven track records, we should not be forced to post an extra $150.

Comment Posted by marc Apr 06, 2010 06:12 PM

There are certain things that require a membership vote at the AGM in order to make the league better. Without a quorum at the AGM we can't pass any motions. That's the reason for the minimum numbers.

Not to say that there aren't other ways to achieve the same goal though, so if you have another way let us know!

Free beer at the AGM might be the way to do it. It might make the AGM more entertaining as well. I'll see what we can do :)

Comment Posted by eagles6 Apr 19, 2010 09:29 AM

Had to chime in on the $150 bond.

To anyone that see's it as holding it as "ransome" or feels that we should not be collecting it please raise your hand - just so you know if you raise your hand you will be elected to our wtfl board as the official collector of fines. Trust me here people, I was on the board before we charged the performance bond, and having to chase teams around and try and get $50 for defaulting a game before they could play next is BRUTAL!!

If Al (bloomfield) or Jyuen is willing to volunteer to do the collecting then maybe we can revisit this "ransome". My prediction is that there is NO ONE willing to step up and do this and I don't blame them but that is the reason we "force" teams to post it up front and all they have to do is send one team member to the AGM to get it back - sounds easy. Every team should want to send a rep to the AGM! This is your league guys and gals and you should be interested in how the elected members of the board run the league and you should be able to come up with at least one suggestion to improve things, goodness knows I hear some people complain all season long - well come to the AGM and get it fixed.

Remember all the board members are volunteers. I know that this is still the best damn league in the city and we want to keep it that way.

Andy

Comment Posted by spider Apr 19, 2010 12:31 PM

Speaking of chiming,

This policy was in effect at various times, during the last 30 years of WTFL action.

And Andy you are quite right. As a member, you should unsure that you have a voice on how your money is spent(by the league exec.)Thus any league meeting is open for members to attend, as is the AGM.

I think we had this (refundable PB at the AGM)in team handball, also. No big deal. Spend a couple hours on a sat morning listening to what went on behind the scenes and what the next year looked like, and vote on some issues, collect your money and go for a beer.

Consider the opposite. Collect thousands of dollars(by the league) spend it anyway you want(just come up with some kind of answer if pressed)and leave the members with no way to have their concerns addressed.

Don't some of the world's countries have that kind of system???Russia, China, Iran, Myanmar, Libya.

So, by having this PB returned at the AGM, the teams actually re-pay themselves, plus find out what's happend/happening/going to happen.

In team handball, we just rolled over thePB to the next year.(We always madeour games, so it was never lost)It was a one time cost, as long as our team manager was on top of things , which he was.

People are complaining about it???

Comment Posted by captainwoody Apr 19, 2010 12:32 PM

Hear hear Andy!

Although Jyuen makes a good point... teams with proven track records shouldn't have to post bond. I disagree with not posting a bond entirely, but perhaps the amount they post can be reduced.

Perhaps we can set up some sort of merit system. For every year a team doesn't default a game, they get a merit point and subsequent deduction on their performance bond. Similar to the MB drivers license program. Feel free to trash that idea at your own will, its just my opinion.

Anyways, the reason we hold AGM's is to get this type of feedback in the first place. Let's get involved WTFL members.

Comment Posted by spider Apr 19, 2010 12:58 PM

Hey are you saying that if I go to an AGM I get merits on my license??? Damn I haven't been involved in an accident for 20 years and still only have like 3 merits???? What's up with that? Gord????

Why not just balance it forward year after year? (as I mentioned previously) If you're a vet team, with no convictions, you're good to go. So therefore, if Delorean proposed, that "good"teams shouldn't have to pay it, that would be a way(sort of) to not pay it annually, but have it "on the books" in case of emerge.

This is good....can we have another AGM at Boston in a couple of days?

Comment Posted by rey Apr 23, 2010 06:57 AM

"Don't some of the world's countries have that kind of system???Russia, China, Iran, Myanmar, Libya."
You forgot the US, Canada and Great Britain, among others.
As far as the bond goes, why not just deduct it off of the following year's fees? That way you've got a (near) guaranteed returning team, and all those who are too busy or are just plain happy with the way the league is functioning don't have to be at the AGM.
Man, what's an extra ten bucks a guy?

Comment Posted by spider Apr 23, 2010 07:14 AM

Naw in Canada, America and Great Britain, if you consider their leaders tyrants, or incompetent,at least they can be voted off, or out. In America, they have the safeguard, that perhaps knowing their citizens couldn't see (not smart enough?)a sneaky, manipulative, disrespecting, group in the leadership position, can only serve a maximum number of years. That's certainly what seemed to happen to Bush and the Republicans.

In those other countries, if you voice a concern, or note some unethical practice, you are either ignored, liquidated, jailed or just disappear. That doesn't seem to be quite right, that society's members don't get a vote on how their contributions (financially)to the administation are used,and they are not allowed that voice.

I think that is part of why the WTFL wants an AGM, and it's members to show up. And that's also kind of the basis for respect for people's rights. The more people lending a hand(contributing ideas) and public discussion, leads to a healthier life.

And in those situations if ya don't like the leadership, you can vote some new people in.

Good point on the bond.

Comment Posted by marc Apr 23, 2010 11:19 AM

The major reason for the bond is to help establish a quorum at the meetings. Unfortunately this means that people who are happy are still needed to be there.

Although I don't have any official numbers here, I'm pretty sure previous AGMs before the bond often didn't have enough members present.

Comment Posted by marc Apr 23, 2010 11:23 AM

Of course at the next AGM you could motion to remove the performance bond :)

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com