Forums » General » Crazy Plays in Touch Football: In Case you wanted to know

Messages for Crazy Plays in Touch Football: In Case you wanted to know

Comment Posted by spider May 06, 2010 08:31 AM

Hello,

Since the start of the season is soon upon us, and also because the Level III HeadRef clinic goes this weekend, with the practical "on field" portion, at Tec Voc starting at 2:15pm, I thought I'd throw out this, for discussion. As part of the level III, (and the new soon to be completed Level IV), actual game examples (cases) are part of the certification process. So if you are ever interested in being a head ref (up to $37.00/game) or just want to learn or see if you know the crazy rules of Touch Football, check out this case (which usually happens 1-2 times a year in games I ref)

If there is any interest in this, maybe I'll search for a case a week.... or maybe you have one, and if so, email me and I'll see if we can get an answer for you.

Well here is a relatively easy one.

One for everybody.What do ya think the answer is?

Case # 1

The Play: The center picks upthe ball from the ground after breaking the huddle, then sets it on the bag. During the cadence the center makes a definite move to snap the ball, but does not. The rusher moves inside the five yard zone, then the center snaps the ball. The rusher:
a.) continues to rush over the line of scrimmage;
b.) stops the rush and another player rushes from six yards away;
c.) stops the rush, returns completely behind the rusher's bag then rushes over the line of scrimmage.

What's the call/correct ruling in a,b, and c.?

Comment Posted by santos12 May 06, 2010 10:41 AM

the answer is A.

Comment Posted by spider May 06, 2010 10:59 AM

Hmmmmmm. Let me re-explain. Those are the three scenarios. What's the call in each of the three, if the rusher does A. or if B happens and if C happens. You have to tell what the correct ruling would be...Offside, Procedure, no call...etc.

OK I explained it better. I betterdo some better explaining at the Head Ref clinic this Saturday!! :)

Comment Posted by captainwoody May 06, 2010 11:10 AM

Well did the Snapper actually lift the ball from the ground?

Here's my breakdown:
A) This would be offside on the defense if the ball wasn't lifted from the ground. Otherwise there is no infraction.
B) No infraction. Play continues.
C) No infraction. Play continues.

Although I thought i remember reading that you cannot make a deliberate motion to draw the defense offside.

Comment Posted by lmitchnik May 06, 2010 12:06 PM

Once the center sets the ball, the next movement of the ball must be to snap it, thus my interpretation would be:

a)illegal procedure on the center and offside on the rusher, blow play dead and replay the down.
b)illegal procedure on the center, play continues and defence is given option to apply penalty or not.
c)illegal procedure on the center, play continues and defence is given option to apply penalty or not.

The snap must be one continuous motion, but in order for the rusher to not be offside in a) he/she has to tag the center as they go by before the ball is snapped.

Leslie

Comment Posted by spider May 06, 2010 03:06 PM

You're getting close.

Comment Posted by Sel May 06, 2010 05:51 PM

Same as lmitchnik said except:

a)illegal procedure on the center. 5 yd penalty applied. Rusher is never offside in this situation because he/she is drawn by the feint.

Comment Posted by spider May 07, 2010 09:10 AM

Sel you are the winner. Your rational would be correct for letter A as lmitchnik was for B and C,.....you rushing - center expert!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com