Forums » General » Crazy Plaze # 5

Messages for Crazy Plaze # 5

Comment Posted by spider Jun 04, 2010 07:51 AM

Here's another one that is unique to Touch football. We'll make this a two parter…

Scenario 1: The punting team punts the ball. The ball lands and becomes motionless. Punt returner B1 is standing over the ball, waiting for his fellow teammates to possibly position themselves, for a lateral.

Scenario 2: The punting team punts the ball over the B2 punt receiver's head, and comes to a stop on the team B 10 yard line. The ball lies there motionless, while the punt returner races back to pick it up

There are a few conditions that have to be met /not met, that result in a couple of different calls. Anyone know that they are and what the resultant call(s) would be?

Like I said this one is unique to touch football, and as usual maybe gets called once a year. Anyone know the call(s)??

Comment Posted by marc Jun 04, 2010 10:33 AM

Scenario 1: See rule 10.2:
If a ball lies motionless on the ground for three seconds and there is no attempt to play the ball, the play shall be whistled dead.

Scenario 2: This is Case #7 of Rule 10:
The play continues. There should be no whistle, as yet, on this play. Since there is an attempt to play the ball by the receiving team, the three-second, motionless ball rule does not apply.

Comment Posted by eagles6 Jun 05, 2010 10:30 AM

Darrell owes Marc a candy for getting it right.

Andy

Comment Posted by spider Jun 05, 2010 11:39 AM

Hmmmm!

"There are a few conditions that have to be met /not met, that result in a couple of different calls. Anyone know that they are and what the resultant call(s) would be?"

Well, while the answer very good, it is only somewhat correct. I don't see the conditions mentioned. This is a very important component of the answer, that is missing. So, I'd have to say, the answer is not as complete, as it could be.

Can can anyone add to the answer and be more specific, so I can really understand, and award that "Andy Candy!???"

Yehaw!

Comment Posted by marc Jun 05, 2010 01:06 PM

Well that's the last time I use the RULE BOOK to answer a question!

Comment Posted by spider Jun 05, 2010 09:42 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Grasshopper..........There is more to life than the rule book, and by rule book I know you probably meant casebook...........but.........perhaps the Touch Football Philosophy and Intent Manual, all might add to the enlightenment..........hopefully by rulebook you did not mean the Tfont production???

Tell me it ain't so..... :)

Comment Posted by marc Jun 05, 2010 10:02 PM

For scenario #1 I quoted a rule and for scenario #2 I quoted a case. Both from the TFONT book which is of course the book that we use.

My Philosophy and Intent book is very old, so I need a new copy of it. Anybody know where I can get one?

Comment Posted by spider Jun 06, 2010 08:03 AM

aha!

Comment Posted by spider Jun 07, 2010 08:28 AM

OK, not much response to this one..........

Here's what was missing. The key point is that the refs shouldn't blow the ball dead, until a player is in position to, but is not playing the ball after 3 seconds. In other words, if the receiving team hasn't gotten to the ball yet, the whistle should not sound until the player has definitely stood over the ball, for that 3 second period.

And of note the 3 second count (like basketball's "3 seconds in the key") should be counted "thousand and one, thousand and two, thousand three, thousand and ....."blow the whistle.

The idea is to let the receiver, get the time to play the ball.
That's what I was looking for............

OK Friday, passes to the halfback in the backfield.....

Comment Posted by marc Jun 07, 2010 11:22 AM

Sorry I didn't receive my Mazur Decoder Ring in the mail yet. Hopefully they'll have extras at the next board meeting!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com