Forums » General » Crazee Plays # 10

Messages for Crazee Plays # 10

Comment Posted by spider Jul 10, 2010 08:35 AM

OK another oldie but goodie.
This one happens a few times a year.

Play: Defender B1 is lined up 1 yard off the LOS. On the snap,Bi rushes across the LOS to cover the halfback in the backfield. What's the call? and Why? and how could it be legal?

Comment Posted by captainwoody Jul 10, 2010 11:43 AM

If B1 was the first player to cross the line of scrimmage, he/she would be flagged for Offside. This is because the first defender to cross the LOS must be from 5 yards away.

It would be legal if the rusher B2, who was lined up 5 yds in front of the LOS, crossed the LOS first. Then B1 could safely cross the LOS without incurring a penalty.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 10, 2010 02:24 PM

Well that's almost a perfect answer. I'd give ya 99%, but then I am a bit of a softy. There's one other possibility/addition/clarification or omission from your almost 100 % correct answer. You did however make the main point.....just have to add one tiny phrase to make it 100%.:)

Comment Posted by captainwoody Jul 12, 2010 08:25 AM

Ahhh shades of Grade 12 English class... I remember my teacher always docking marks for not being "Thorough". Yet, I usually just wait for my teacher to tell me what I needed to add :-)

So I'm waiting...

Comment Posted by spider Jul 12, 2010 09:13 AM

I rarely give away answers....but however......if by the end of the day we have no takers, You know I'll supply the one little addendum, that is needed to make your masterpiece a classic answer!:)

Comment Posted by alouette Jul 12, 2010 09:40 AM

What if the QB immediately passes it forward to the HB before the rusher crosses the LOS, then the defender B1 could cross the LOS without a penalty ?

Comment Posted by spider Jul 12, 2010 10:38 AM

Good idea, but the first defender to cross the LOS still must come from 5 yards away. So by your scenario, while it is an alert eager enthusiastic player, he still couldn't cross the LOS, until someone else did from 5 yards away, otherwise it's still offside. That defender would in thoeory have to lurk "onside" on his side of the LOS.....

come on dudes........it's right there....

Comment Posted by captainwoody Jul 12, 2010 12:48 PM

Maybe I need to add the following:

If B1 intended to rush the halfback immediately following the snap, he would have to line up 5 yards in front of the LOS.

Is that what i'm missing. If not I'll have to borrow Marcus' Mazur Decoder Ring :-)

Comment Posted by kirby Jul 12, 2010 08:54 PM

is it Defender B2 needs to be 5 yds back from the LOS plus needs to be within 5 yards of the snapper on either side of the snapper?

Comment Posted by spider Jul 12, 2010 10:10 PM

You guys are soooooooooooooo good, but, still missing one point, it involves an "and/ or"...Two more good points. Kirb you are right. The scenario you note actually adds more decsion to the call, should there be interference. But he can still rush, but does have to be 5 yards from the LOS or....he can cross the LOS......OK I am giving this away. Just add that little "and/or" answer, and we can put this baby to bed......

Comment Posted by spider Jul 14, 2010 04:03 AM

No takers???

OK. BI would be offside. The first Defender to cross the LOS must have been 5 yards away.When sending in a defender to cover the halfback in the backfield, the player must either line up 5 yards from the LOS, or line up closer and wait for the rusher to cross the LOS first, OR at the SAME TIME (happened in a game last night!!)

The case book also noted that the defender rushing the halfback has no special rights until they cross the LOS. (Why?..outside that 5 yard on either side of the Center, where the rights are applied.)

OK, this case included a bit of a technicality. However,the point of crossing "at the same time" should be something we all should be aware of, and secondly, to note, that outside that 5 yards area, on either side of the center, no special (unimpeded right of way rights)are available to that person rushing!!!!)

Was this a helpful insightful bit of info?

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com