Forums » General » Crazee Plays # 12.

Messages for Crazee Plays # 12.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 23, 2010 06:50 AM

# 12????

Have we really been at this for 12 weeks??? Wow!

OK like before, this one happened just last week, and is usually a once a year, maybe twice a year happening. Maybe you have seen it also.

The center snaps the ball, and then cuts across the rusher's path, three yards in front of him. The rusher, startled by the move, studder steps, and continues rushing the QB......You are there...anyone remember that film series in Junior High???.."You are there....!!!"

Anyway, what's the call on the above case? Anyone know????

Comment Posted by captainwoody Jul 23, 2010 07:34 AM

This should be called Obstruction on the offence and a 10 yd penalty if accepted by the defence
Reason being is that the rusher has a direct line to the Quarterback.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 23, 2010 11:07 AM

Not always...........huh!??

Comment Posted by alouette Jul 23, 2010 11:45 AM

Not if the rusher switched to the other side of the bag after the center lowered his/her head to snap the ball. In this case, the rusher has lost his/her direct path to the QB and there is no obstruction penalty on the play.

Comment Posted by santos12 Jul 23, 2010 12:03 PM

its never a obstruction until he runs into the rusher or the rusher runs into the center.... well at least thats what i have been told a couple of times this year when i am rushing.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 23, 2010 12:36 PM

You are all so close to the perfect answer.

I guess I was hoping to clarify just what is rusher interference and why it would or would not be. There was a clue in the wording, when I wrote the case. If you go back and re-read it can you note what I was meaning?

Comment Posted by alouette Jul 23, 2010 07:22 PM

If you're talking about a film series in junior high, not everyone here grew up in the sixties...But if it is the cut across 3 yards in front of the rusher, the center didn't actually obstruct anyone. The rusher got stunned not obstructed. But then again, I haven't seen a center that has time to snap the ball and cut across 3 yards in front of the rusher.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 24, 2010 09:02 AM

Bingo my "you are there film" watching ami. That was the point. Players can cut in front of the rusher as long as they don't "interfere" with his direct path to the QB. If the rusher miscalculates and voluntarily adjusts his path, then that is the rusher's "choice" In that case, (given the offense crossed three yards in front) no interference has ocurred. The rusher has errored electively, and changed his path of his own choosing.

I have used the example of three yards, because this is a subjective call by the Head Ref. Anything less than that might be too short a time frame for the rusher to voluntarily studder step. I would estimate that given that "yardage" amount the rusher could change direction or wouldn't have to as the offensive player(s) would effectively be out of the rusher's path.

Thanks for the answer! Not sure if everyone was clear on this, as I heard the statement,"you can't cut across the rusher's path." In the case I noted, you could, without penalty.

It is easier just to say you can't cut acros the rusher's path, so no interference would ever occur.

The other time you can cut across the rusher's path is if he is outside 5 yards of the rusher's bag.

So, very good points in both your answers!!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com