Forums » General » Crazee Plays # 13

Messages for Crazee Plays # 13

Comment Posted by spider Jul 29, 2010 07:43 PM

Here's a couple of doozies:

Case # 1:
Receiver A1 standing just inside the team B endzone(awaiting a TD pass?) leaps high in the air to catch a pass. The pass is caught in mid-air, in the end zone but the receiver lands on the one yard line and is touched there.

What's the call amigos?

Case # 2:

Receiver A2 (A1's buddy) catches a pass while in the air and close to the sideline. Defender B2 touches A2 while A2 is still in the air. A2 then lands out of bounds

Quece ca ce, Mon amie?

Yee haw!!!

Comment Posted by jkull Jul 30, 2010 05:51 AM

1. Ball caught in endzone (assuming with control) = TD. It doesn't matter where you land, as long as it's not out of bounds.

2. As long as B2 doesn't force A2 out of bounds, it's no catch.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 30, 2010 01:40 PM

jkull, bacause you are such an awesome player, I would defer to your excellent experience....but,..... this is "Touch" football. the "concept" of "forcing out of bounds" is rather interesting, and could require defining to clarify your answer.

Therefore there must be some added clarity to the answer, as things aren't always as they appear to be...........

Can anyone help provide the clarity I seek?

Here we go Bombers here we go!!

Comment Posted by captainwoody Jul 31, 2010 05:51 AM

If B2 forces A2 out of bounds, this is pass interference on B2.

It is up to the referee to determine whether or not A2 would have landed in bounds. If the referee deemed that A2 would have landed in bounds if he/she was not pushed, a completed pass would be ruled and a TD awarded.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 31, 2010 08:16 AM

Naw the guy already caught the ball, so the tag occurs, but it's a question of TD or incomplete pass or complete pass.

so if we put all our heads (posts) together we get......(Is this why refs huddle up on some calls?)

Spell it out for me mes compadres!

Comment Posted by jkull Aug 02, 2010 03:30 AM

You can tag a player and force him out of bounds, right? I'm pretty sure I've done that before. Just give the guy a little shove so he lands out rather than in.

As for the ruling, if the player catches the ball, should it matter if he's tagged in bounds? If he lands out, he's out. No catch.

Comment Posted by spider Aug 02, 2010 07:04 AM

Aha and there's the rub.....(Mang am I qouting Shakespeare????Hell has frozen over!!)

Yes, the "force out" (by the tag???!!) is something to consider in this evaluation. Therefore............(like the Old NFL, when making this call, you have to consider.....????)

Comment Posted by spider Aug 06, 2010 03:44 AM

OK time to clear this up, although you sort of got to it.

Case # 1:
Receiver A1 standing just inside the team B endzone(awaiting a TD pass?) leaps high in the air to catch a pass. The pass is caught in mid-air, in the end zone but the receiver lands on the one yard line and is touched there.

What's the call amigos? This is to be ruled a Touch down. (Rule 17.2)

Case # 2:

Receiver A2 (A1's buddy) catches a pass while in the air and close to the sideline. Defender B2 touches A2 while A2 is still in the air. A2 then lands out of bounds

Ruling: It is not automatically considered a catch, because B2 touched A2 while in the air. The determining factor in awarding a completion is where A2 would have landed had B2 NOT touched him. If the official feels that A2 would have landed in bounds had B2 not touched him, then a completion must be awarded. The official shall give the receiver the benefit of any doubt on such a play.

Note also the concept of "benefit of any doubt" is also applied to any offensive "tie" situation. I.e. tag on the QB releasing the ball,(unique to touch) also simultaneous catch, and measuring for a first down )according to Touch Philosophy and Intent Manual.

(All Level 3 certified refs get one as part of their certification)

Good answers dudes!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com