Forums » General » Early Bird Deadline Aug 3rd - WTFL Summer Tournament

Messages for Early Bird Deadline Aug 3rd - WTFL Summer Tournament

Comment Posted by duhard Jul 30, 2010 11:09 AM

A reminder to all teams that the Early bird deadline is almost here. We will be extending the Aug 1st deadline to Aug 3rd due to the long weekend.

Early Bird Registration Deadline: August 3rd, 2010 - $350
After August 1st, 2010 - $400

Please send Cheque or Money Order to:
WTFL
908-90 Garry St
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3C 4J4

For complete details checkout the Tournament page on the left menu. Don't forget to sign up your team! http://wtfl.ca/teams/signup

For any questions feel free to post here or email tournament@wtfl.ca

Comment Posted by spider Aug 03, 2010 10:25 AM

So, who's in?

The old WTFL tournament. Kudos for the League exec for bringin this baby back to life.

I remember the first one (hosted by the Assassins I believe) out in St. James. I think we even played at RRCC. It was my Bison's teammates and we played the Combines (Rick Koswin, Rick Suffield, Ron Gustafson), the Assassins, and not sure who else.) It was just fun to play the best guys.

I don't remember how we placed. Just remember having a few ales after with those jerks, the Assassins.

Then another year at the Holiday Inn South field, again, the beer gardens, after.

I think the next year, I began organizing the tourney. We had a social, social games "bowling for beverages." The Regina Harlottes Gals football team. Sorry but that team was literally "fun to watch"

Great time to meet the guys from other teams. And what's great about that, is that you find out they love football just as much as you. Two years later I joined the "jerks" and became an Assassin, and went to theSaskatoon Labour Day tourney. Yeah back in the day 1982? it was still held in Saskatoon. Apparently, that was the first year they won!!

Yup, so that brings us to the Dub tournament in two weeks right here in Winnipeg. For those that haven't travelled to any out of town tourneys ya don't know what you are missing. The comraderie increases atany tournament. I mean ya have to survive right? Lifetime memories are furnished, as well as team bonding (corny huh?)

I wonder if today's "generation" realizes the "significance" of a tournament? Seems not! Where are the teams? The only answer acceptable is "I am delivering my team's entry fee tonight!"

Also, related to the development of your team and therefore each person's experience, is that you DO get better as a team,and therefore also as a player. I have always thought, if you can party and play and win the next day, you are a true Champion. But enough of the partying......The entrants in the Men's Elite, will provide great games. Literally, games not seen in Manitoba in the last 3 years.

Now, of course, there are a few more teams out there that haven't appeared registered that sure would make the slot of games even more interesting. Where are they? get registered.

Please don't use the excuse of "too busy." or "going to the cabin." I mean. "winners make it happen." The tourney only comes along once a year for most of Winnipegs 130 teams.

Actually, (as it is in the east) the tournaments they play (one a month) are actually mare meaningful than "league" games. And you can see where I am coming from. In Winnipeg we have 130 teams (give or take a hundred), but when they show up with only 6 or 7 guys, or not at all, ...really how much fun is that?

Ya know these tourney teams aren't rostered. (Of course for the tourney the same group has to playwith the same guys...although not always)That means ya can combine teams, and make a new "tourney all-star team."

Sure would like to see a few new combined teams get it together, for some real competitive ball, wouldn't you....certainly better than the usual watered down summer games of late, wouldn't you agree.

So, who's in???

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com