Forums » General » Summertime Blues?

Messages for Summertime Blues?

Comment Posted by spider Aug 06, 2010 04:35 AM

Hey remember that band, "Blue Cheer?" (from the late 70's early 80's?? or was it 60's?? memories!!!)They came out with a smoking hot version of the song "Summertime Blues" a rock/blues classic. I think it was their only hit...bunch of long haired hippie freaks from San Francisco.....But man did that thing rock....Great title for the description of the last couple of weeks games on the schedule!!

Is it just me,???? or is there an extraordinary number of teams having difficulty fielding a full squad, during these recent wonderfully hot summer weeks?

It used to really upset me when I played to show up to a game,and I was all fired up to play, and then find out either a default win was facing us. Or, we would be playing a previously good opponent, now with an inferior roster. (in terms of number of star players.) sigh

If you talk to the old guard the philosophy is that "Fall is for Football." Recently, as far as a few years ago, some people bent the ear of the sheduller, and said October play-offs were "too cold!" So,..... the sheduller had us/has us finish the season earlier now. Boooo!(Now we start in May and it's too wet!!)

But,.... this kind of makes sense. I mean IT IS "Touch" football.... ya don't wanna be playin in freezing weather for the play-off or Championship......or do ya????

Again the old timers ..er purists,... insist that's what makes Canadian football kinda unique. You have to sometime deal with the elements.

I kinda agree, because I personally HATE the cold. However, having played in it during my tackle days, (and touch)one soon realizes that temps around -2-4 degress C, aren't that bad when ya start playing. It's doable.....so, not sure if the new generation is correct on that point. (heh heh)

Plus, there is nothing quite like having a team meeting before the game at 9:00am at McDonalds for that 11:00am game, discussing strategy, making sure "who knows who" is going to cover the other team's star receiver, and how the rusher is going to rush. That great hot coffee, cool crisp morning temperature, clear blue (but chilly, early morning) sky.....agggghhhh! I can feel it now.....(shiver!!)

When "Touch Bowl" used to be the Halloween weekend, the schedule used to coincide with local Provinces finishing up prior to that, and therefore (theoretically) having their teams "peak" for the Nationals. (Of course only 1-4 Winnipeg teams only travelled to the Nationals, but....)

If ya play touch football, ya really have to check out a National Championship tournament (it's like a mini Grey Cup) Put it on your "to do" (bucket?)list!

To facillitate that, it allowed for more games to be played in the Fall, when less people were not off to the cabin (theoretically) There really was nothing like playing 8 games (2 games a weekend in September). This of course allowed for fewer games during the "Summertime Blues" period,and therefore more competitive games (in the Fall)less defaults in the Summer, and certainly less re-schedules.

I for one feel the greater pain for those Summertime Blues rosters, that only have a maximum of 8 or 9 players. Ya know,.... what's the lesser evil???? Play in the Fall when it's "football" weather, or drag yourself through a summer evening game?
Ya know.....it would even be easier schedulling games if we returned to the way we were.

Recently(because of Global warming?) tempshave remained quite nice until mid November. I remember a few years ago on halloween we had snow....but since then it's been pretty warm.
Hmmm.

Anyone interested in a Fall "division?" Play mostly on the weekends. We used to have one back in the day. Sometimes before Bomber games, sometimes on weeknights....some games started at 5:00pm!!! But most on weekends. Play a 6-8 game shedule, and still finish up around November 1st....Hmmmm!

Comment Posted by Brady Aug 07, 2010 04:27 PM

What is going on with this league? My team the Untouchables have been waiting for months for 2 of our reschedules to be scheduled! I've asked the league 3 times about this, still nothing! Then The Assassins had a game vs us on tuesday switched to friday which we agreed to.Then the league steps in and causes a bunch of crap and it get's cancelled. Now we have 3 reschedules we are waiting for. Can the league please focus their attention to this?

Also what's with no updates to the scores? We are in a tight race in elite and it takes days sometimes weeks to update the site. We even had an instance this year where the ref had the score card destroyed in the rain and didn't tell any one. To me it looks like the league is defaulting on a lot of it's responsibilities.

Shawn Reyher

Comment Posted by captainwoody Aug 10, 2010 07:28 PM

Hi Shawn,

We apologize for the delay in the reschedules. Elite game reschedules are challenging given that we have very few referees who are comfortable and able to officiate these high level games. I 'm sure you would agree that having 3 elite officials would add value to your game. We have rescheduled all your games and you should have been contacted with the new dates.

Again sorry for the delay, and let us know if you still haven't received your reschedules.

Thanks,
Neal

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com