Forums » General » Crazy Plays # 15

Messages for Crazy Plays # 15

Comment Posted by spider Aug 13, 2010 01:34 AM

Here's one that I was guilty of as a receiver, BUT, I thought I was legal…I'll still say it was. BUT according to the rule book was I right?

Receiver A83 is running downfield on a pass pattern, and defender B80 is about one yard behind, trying to catch up and defend against the pass. The ball is thrown to A83, but it is thrown too far. A83, realizing that there is no chance to catch the ball. slows down in an attempt to draw the interference penalty on B80 as the ball sails over their heads.
B80, looking at the ball, but not knowing where A63 is runs into A83, causing him to stumble.
So, was I legit?
What's the call?

Comment Posted by captainwoody Aug 13, 2010 06:55 AM

Spidey... drinking a little early are we? Where did A63 popup? Do you mean A83? I assume that's what you meant.

If A83 deliberately slows down B80, A83 has committed offensive pass interference because they took away B80's right to the ball. Therefore , its PI on the offense, and an automatic turnover. First down Team B at the spot of the foul.

Comment Posted by spider Aug 13, 2010 10:15 AM

Yeah a typo, and missing comma....

In a your argument, what about A83's positioning. He was closerto the eventual arrival point of the ball? Riddle me that Batman.....er Capt Woody!

Comment Posted by captainwoody Aug 13, 2010 11:59 AM

Had A83 kept running, he still would have been ahead of the defender. Because he slowed down, he is trying to obstruct the defender from reaching the ball. Perhaps B80 is an olympic world class sprinter and would have beaten A83 to the ball, but the fact that A83 deliberately slowed down, leads me to believe its still Offensive PI.

Comment Posted by spider Aug 16, 2010 10:13 AM

I am going to have to get up even earlier in the morning to try and stump Capt Woody! You certainly have this one nailed. Congrats!

OK Here's the explanation.

A83 WAS in the more ADVANTAGEOUS position to play the ball and did not continue to attempt to reach the arrival point of the ball. Thus B80'sactions do not constitute Pass I. If the official believed that the ball may have been caught by B80, if B80 had been able to continue then pass intereference mustbe called on ole #A83. If it is determimed that the ball was uncatchable by either player, then no Pass I can be called!

Nice Work Capt. Woody!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com