Forums » General » Best team in Manitoba!

Messages for Best team in Manitoba!

Comment Posted by marc Sep 07, 2010 09:33 AM

I just heard that the best team in Manitoba actually gets crowned in Regina now? Wacky stuff!

I'm think the Winnipeg Elite Division Championships are held at CanadInns Stadium on October 16th. That's where I thought this "title" would be handed out...ya know that big trophy with like 30 years of history on it. I think the Sunparties currently have it, but who knows maybe they took it to Mexico and lost it?

Somebody clear this up for me, I'm confused!

Comment Posted by hlarkin1 Sep 07, 2010 11:43 AM

I wont speak for the team but since we aren't allowed to play the regular season, we certainly wouldn't turn down an opportunity to have a game with the wtfl elite champions whoever that may be. To be the best you have to beat the best, just sayin...

Comment Posted by hlarkin1 Sep 07, 2010 03:51 PM

oh and marc its ok if you say "avengers" instead of using inuendo, we wont have hurt feelings over your opinion

Comment Posted by brett holfeld Sep 07, 2010 04:23 PM

If you really want to see who is the best team in the city, next year, all of the best teams in the city should be in the same elite division. That would be the Assassins, Avengers, Doggs and Sunparty. We all want the best playing the best so this would give us that and provide some very competitive football. Just my opinion though.

brett

Comment Posted by marc Sep 07, 2010 05:04 PM

I guess the best team in Manitoba is Meglomania! They are awesome, they have our title and they don't even play here!

Brett I agree with you, except that you don't even mention the Greyhounds! That hurts dude, for that we will give you a beating on friday :)

Comment Posted by hlarkin1 Sep 07, 2010 05:05 PM

agreed x10 ... put ego's and vendetta's aside, and play some f'ing football...nobody (individuals or teams) benefit when we cant play against the top competition the province has to offer, and it gives everyone a fair shot at staking claim to the "best" team in manitoba.

Comment Posted by spider Sep 07, 2010 05:50 PM

What happened in Regina?

Anyway. Mazur's Indoor...Last year we had all the good ones except a few. Let's get'em all in.:)

Comment Posted by Ostar Sep 07, 2010 06:46 PM

Avengers beat Assassins by 10 in the semis and Meglo beat the Avengers in the finals in converts.

Comment Posted by spider Sep 08, 2010 05:18 AM

Wow! That's a change from the past 30 years!!!

Hey,(Harlo)

As a former exec member when the WTFL had a ton of teams, I am well aware of the debate that led to the seperation of teams from one league to the next. (Personalities, philosophy, and spite???) Personally, I actually liked both viewpoints regarding should there be multi-teams for players or not. (My proposal was to do as the Dub has now, and limit it to two teams.).....(My other ideas were to reduce the number of league games to 16, and reduce game time to 18 minute qtrs....basically to satisfy the ref problem. All were voted down.)

I stepped down as President, because the exec was fractured, (3 camps)and I felt to such an extent, it became counter-productive. I left the league in September, when deceit, dishonesty, lies, and a lack of integrity hit me in the face. It was clear a certain element had other agendas. Basically, the year end plan was set, everything was in good shape, and I couldn't be with people who were dishonest.

Now....too many teams are showing up, with the bare minimum to play. And like I said while some may argue it's great to "play" more football, ya have to admit the quality of play with a team that has 7 guys is not going to be very good. (By the way we are the only province in Canada that has mult-player teams.)

Therefore, if that's the case, some of these teams that have guys from 2-4 other teams on their roster, are spread too thin. Quite often, play is horrible and players are almost going half speed. All that, plus how loyal can one be, when playing for more than two? teams, so who cares??? Ya get my drift? It's like a "so what" attitude? I won't name names, but there are few "good" players, who I have interpretted their effort to mean just that. I ask myself, why would this guy play at such a level, and play with such a team that produces very little skill advancement for that guy?

and that goes to a question of loyalty and commitment. Pick a team, work on getting better (a practice??)and be commited. I don't see how guys that play on many teams can do all that, playing with so many teams.... so eventually, it becomes that the player is "just there" Certainly not putting out the best effort. And if ya don't do that, how much better are ya going to get?

My point is, like you are saying, is that if you want to be the best, you have to play the best. So why do some good players who have that philosophy, play in lower divisions?
As the previous 5 years have shown, to a certain degree, play in Manitoba isn't getting better. (Meglo beat MB)It's time to get those teams playing against each other in competitive "more pressure" situations on most every play. Lower div play doesn't do that at all.

If you want to get better, you have to play the best.

You're right in what you have said in your post, some of these "snit fits" by some are counter-productive (to the goal of producing better teams) However, should all these teams get into one division, that division should be governed by reps that show integrity, character, ethical behaviour and fairness to all. If that's the goal, then the wishes of the entire group have to be respected. and Yup that might mean personal points of view will have to be put aside.

The best thing about the Dub, is that it is an elected group. If you want to contribute jump on board. If the management is not good, new people can come on board. The other interesting thing about the Dub, is that it has been run by guys that have been to the Nationals many times, and have seen "other" ways of organizing. (Trillium tour of tournaments) The Dub has always pioneered many "initiatives" to better the sport, ref clinics, tournaments, player clinics, web site, woman's div, promotional clinics, etc.

And that is part of what you were mentioning. If ya want to be the best ya have to play the best. The Dub provides a division where that happens. Promoting the game and providing development is crucial, for that to happen.

If teams are not playing in that Dub Elite division, it's because THEY chosen not to. As you have seen, the 4 teams from the dub and the 4 teams from the U have produced higher quality play,and clearly no obvious favourite, as basically all the teams have beaten each other. That's the kind of play that you are talking (perform under pressure)about so all those players can perform!!!

Glad you got the taste of the elite level play in Regina. Doesn't it make you "lust" for that in Winnipeg? I know it does for me. I want to see 4 teams in the top ten at TOC. And to do that, as you are saying, they should be playing each other every game. Pushing each other to get better, providing more "go to guy" moments under pressure.

Waht do ya think?

Comment Posted by scott Sep 08, 2010 11:10 AM
Comment Posted by Owen Sep 08, 2010 11:50 AM

You said,

"If teams are not playing in that Dub Elite division, it's because THEY chosen not to."

Tell the Assassins to play without Tim and see if they would still want to play. Since that is basically what happened to the Avengers.

Comment Posted by jkull Sep 08, 2010 02:30 PM

I think the difference is Tim didn't do anything to get himself banned from the league, so I think your comparison has very little merit.

Don't make this into a Assassins vs. Avengers debate. This started by a Greyhounds member stating that the Sunparties are the best in the city, not what and Avenger stated. Don't bring us into your pity party.

Comment Posted by spider Sep 08, 2010 05:32 PM

Regarding Owen's point,.....Again, this reverts back to people's points of view. If the one person, has a view not shared by the others, and he wants to play with the others,... what would be the rational thing to do?......suck it up, and compromise??? so he gets to play with the elite? I woulda thunk..... Why there wouldn't be a "giving in" to the majority's wishes, for the betterment of their own team and elite fb in MB is beyond me. But I guess that's ego.?? To me, it doesn't make sense, and that's essentially what Harlo is saying also.

From what I gather, the Avengers QB didn't like what the majority liked so he took his ball and made his own playground.

Good for him! Commit to your belief. However, as Harlo put it, "put ego's and vendetta's aside,"

Of course vendettas escalated, and more deceit, and well..that's where it stands.

so while, another league was created to allow multi-team players, how has that made those player's teams better? Ya know, what's the point if you're not going to play the best?
(and again I DO agree there is a place for multi-team players i.e lower div teams having a "coach" or a couple players to "coach" at a lower level. That makes sense)

I for one have reffed a ton of these interlocking elite games with the W and the U and those teams would make for a very interesting playoff... if they had one. IMO that's the best ball to watch!..er ref:)

and if you agree that as Harlo said, to be the best ya got to play the best, then the Dub/U Elite crossover div is where it's at.

So, imo, what happened was a short term goal or victory prevailed, but, in reality, after two years, it did nothing to better Elite caliber ball in MB, and again, as Harlo noted, "nobody (individuals or teams) benefit when we cant play against the top competition."

Shameless plug time. If ya want to play the best, the Golfdome Indoor league had it's elite div with some of the top teams. So, it's there for ya....same as the Dub...For Indoor regsitrations by end of October.

Comment Posted by Owen Sep 08, 2010 06:19 PM

Well there is an easy way to settle this debate, and put all egos, and vendettas aside. In an open letter from the Avengers:

"We believe we are the best team in Manitoba, and challenge any team, anywhere, any time, to prove us wrong." The open challenge would have to include ALL members on the Avengers roster able to participate.

The Avengers

Comment Posted by marc Sep 08, 2010 07:39 PM

Who let the kicker post on the website anyway? Avengers need a new PR guy.

(just kidding owen, you're still my favourite 7 yard hook guy...when you catch it)

Comment Posted by jkull Sep 09, 2010 03:27 AM

What debate Owen, and what personal vendettas? It seems the only people that are debating this and have a huge chip on their shoulders IS the Avengers. We've moved on, so I suggest you tell your players to do the same. If you guys feel like you guys as a team have been shafted by everybody associated with Winnipeg Touch Football (I overheard your QB blaming the Assassins for them not being the WTFL this weekend...lol), perhaps you should remind your QB that it was him that tried to destroy the league that holds the teams he wants to play.

Comment Posted by spider Sep 09, 2010 06:57 PM

Yeah, and another thing......the Best team in Manitoba....would actually be the Wildcats......they at least won their division!!!

Here we go Wildcats here we go!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com