Forums » General » The 22nd crazy play

Messages for The 22nd crazy play

Comment Posted by spider Oct 01, 2010 08:43 PM

Here's a Gotcha!

B1 blocks an attempted punt by A1. A1 catches the ball before it hits the ground, and throws a completed forward pass to A2. What's the call

Comment Posted by eagles6 Oct 04, 2010 06:11 AM

I would say you need to throw a no yards penalty on A1 and a offside pass on A1 but not till after the ball is either completed, intercepted or incomplete as team B can delcine both penalties if the ball is intercepted and returned for a touchdown. But i have nothing to back that up other than that's what I believe the ruling should be.

andy

Comment Posted by alouette Oct 04, 2010 07:16 AM

If the punt is blocked in team A's endzone, it is still team A's ball and A1 can run with the ball or throw a pass as long as he/she doesn't cross the line of scrimmage. Anywhere else on the field, the play is blown dead as soon as A1 touches the ball and Team B takes the ball where the punt was blocked.

Comment Posted by spider Oct 04, 2010 12:43 PM

Uh huh! Told ya it was a Gotcha! I'll wait another day, and see if there are any more "Gotcha solvers." :)

Comment Posted by ziggy75 Oct 04, 2010 04:07 PM

i would say since the ball was punted and deflected team A gave up posession of the ball...so if team A is first to touch the ball a no yards penalty would be applied at the spot the forward pass was thrown...first and 10 team B.

Comment Posted by alouette Oct 05, 2010 11:05 AM

The Touch football rule book 2004 clearly states on page 27 in Case on rule 5, point 3: O7 attempts a punt from behind the line of scrimmage. D3 blocks the punt. O7 catches the ball in the air and throws a completed pass donwfield. INTERPRETATION: When O7 touches the block punt, the play must be whistled dead. Team D takes possession at the point where the ball was blocked.

This is in contradiction with the case book which states that this is a legal play.

If you read rule 5.8 on page 26: When a punt is blocked on the field of play, the non-punting team is considered to be in possession. If the punt is blocked in the endzone, the punting team is considered to be in possession.

I'd say the case book interpretation is right only if the punt is blocked in the endzone. Which would make my post above the right call.

Comment Posted by duhard Oct 06, 2010 09:17 AM

Pretty sure the second part you're referring to about possession is there to indicate that a blocked punt in the endzone means it is a safety since the punting team is considered to be in possession. The call here is that the play is whistled dead as soon as A1 catches the ball and team B takes possession at the point where it was blocked. If this occurred in the endzone (team A's) the play is still whistled dead and is a safety. At least that's what i'd call :)

Comment Posted by spider Oct 06, 2010 05:32 PM

Those are all good answers

Now in true season ending fashion you'll have to come back next season for the answer.

Thanks to all for commenting, and don't forget Indoor starts in 3 weeks!

See ya then

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com