Forums » General » Exhibition Game

Messages for Exhibition Game

Comment Posted by Chefy Jun 22, 2006 03:52 AM

Hey guys,
I am the Qb for the Gladiators which is a team in the Morden Flag Football League. Currently we are sitting at 6-0 and I was wondering if any of the teams from your league would be interested in playing a home and home exhibtion game with us. The link to our website is www.mordenff.com. Check it out and let me know. Our rules are a bit different then yours but we could make it work.

Comment Posted by bdb Jun 23, 2006 02:51 AM

I play on sunparties.com. We are tied for first in div.1. I can ask our captain, but I think that we would definetly be interested. my number is 479-5435

Comment Posted by bdb Jun 23, 2006 03:26 AM

yeah, my name is brad

Comment Posted by bdb Jun 25, 2006 09:44 AM

do you want to play or not?

Comment Posted by Chefy Jun 26, 2006 06:28 AM

Sorry Brad that it took so long to get back to you. We definitly want to play and i guess we would need to take a look at your schedules to see what would work for you. We would want to play on a Saturday but you can call me at 204-325-9558 work or at home most evenings at 204-331-3933. My name is Jeremy Matuszewski. my email at work is jeremym@grandeurhousing.com

Comment Posted by scott Jun 26, 2006 04:34 PM

Chefy, don't take this the wrong way. You should play a div three team.

It would be a good test.

Scott

Comment Posted by Chefy Jun 27, 2006 10:02 AM

well i guess we could but i figured we would take on the best that you have instead of working our way up. I am not sure how we will stack up but i do know that we have some great athletes and a few tricks up our sleeves. If we get kicked by the top team in your league then we get kicked but if we win then i guess we know that we "rural" players can compete with the players in your league.

Comment Posted by Crawdad Jun 27, 2006 01:24 PM

Chefy,
The Chargers (3rd division) came into this league a little over 10 years ago from Portage. We completed dominated the Portage league for the 4 years it ran. No real competition. However, that league folded and we pulled together a lot of the better players from that league and joined this one in one sort of Portage all star team. Very competetive here and more fun. Over the last number of years our Portage players have dropped off considerably and we now only have about 4 players from the original team that came here. We have for the most part always been competetive in 3rd division and have some decent atheletes as well. We would be interested in playing you guys but our July and August are jammed with Games. We could use games in Sept to keep warm for playoffs though. Let me know you interest. A bunch of us travel anyway so a home (Portage or Wpg) and home would interest us.

Brian Crawford
Chargers

Comment Posted by Crawdad Jun 27, 2006 01:26 PM

Interesting rules. In the Portage league we even had field goals. That was really interesting.

Comment Posted by Chefy Jun 28, 2006 03:21 AM

Brian,
Like i said before i have no idea how we will compete against the Sunparties team but right now we are tentitivly booked to play them next week saturday out here. We also have some good athletes and we do have a few tricks up our sleeve as well. We would definitly be interested in playing a home and home with you as well but i am not sure how it would work in september as that is when our league's 2nd half of the season starts. Lets see how we do agasint Sunparties
and go from there. We do have some interesting rules but we have a great league and its lots of fun. Quick question for you so i can judge if i bit off more then we can chew. Approximately on average how many guys on your teams have played highschool or college football in the US or Canada

Comment Posted by Crawdad Jun 28, 2006 05:45 AM

Chefy,
Goodluck against Sun Parties they are a very good team. From my understanding there are a lot of players who have experience playing high school or college football. The league even have a few that have played professional. The upper divisions are full of players with football experience. Please fella's correct me if I am wrong on any of this. The lower divisions do have players with some experience but there are more athletes there. I hope this is helpful. I am not sure how many guys on Sun Parties have played before as we have never had the experience of being destroyed by them but they have a lot of great atheletes.

I hope this is helpful.

Brian

Comment Posted by mbender Jun 28, 2006 06:28 AM

Different type of rules, smaller field, 6 players on the field, Blocking, Fieldgoals, 4 downs for a first, sounds like the Flag game is a lot of fun.

Definitely different than the touch game but Football is still football and we all know that so I'm sure the game(s) will be a good time but my advice for the Gladiators is if you are indeed playing Sunparties.com I think your really going to need those 4 downs for a first down compared to their 3 downs just to try to make it interesting :)

Good Luck.

Marty

Comment Posted by Chefy Jun 28, 2006 09:23 AM

Well i can see that we will be in tough if as you say they have lots of guys that have played highschool or college football. I played 4 years of highschool in the states as a QB but other then a few guys in the league there is not a lot of highschool experiance. I guess it will be a good test for us to see how good our league actually is. We do have lots of good rules and it is a completely different game then the Touch Football game but i am not sure that we will need all 4 downs we have a pretty good offense. Its based on the Wing T. I guess we will see if it works

Comment Posted by avengers Jun 28, 2006 09:39 AM

My first impression was 142-6 for Sunparties but due to time constraints and some possible rule changes I thought Sunparties 66 Gladiator Chefs 3. Then I heard "Wing T", and have again revised the score to 78-0 for Sunparties.

Jon

Comment Posted by mbender Jun 28, 2006 09:42 AM

Hey Chefy, no disrespect meant by my post and I'm sure you guys have a great offense, it looks like you have been steam rolling your competition.

I was just thinking that if you guys decide when you play your exhibition game(s) it probably would be best to play flag rules then I'm sure you'll do fine because of your experience but just for the record basing your offense on the Wing T formation with "touch rules" Your going to struggle because there is no blocking allowed and you guys will struggle against any team. is based on misdirection plays and "Blocking" angles. It's a good offense for running the ball with 3 running backs or a mobile Tight end but it's based on misdirection and "blocking". We ran a similar offense when I played Highschool and Midget tackle ball in the 90's - hence Tackle/blocking is the key word :)

anyways have fun with it, The team your facing showcases some of the best young players Winnipeg has to offer, it'll be a good experience.

Comment Posted by Chefy Jun 28, 2006 10:43 AM

No offense taken at all with any of the above posts and the best part about playing football and being involved in games like this is the fact that we get to talk "smack" etc on different forums. Right now the tentative agreement that we made with Brad from Sunparties was that we are going to play our rules which i think will be a benefit to us. Your right the Wing T definitly relies on running backs and misdirections etc. I guess our offense is more a Triple Threat offense then the standard Wing T but i can promise you there is lots of fakes and lots of interesting things that we do out of that offense. I will gurantee that we will not be shut out and the score will be closer then 78-0.

Comment Posted by Chefy Jun 29, 2006 08:29 AM

Looks like the game will be played in Winnipeg on July 8, 2006 at 4:00 P.M. Right now it looks like it will be played at St. Pauls high.

Comment Posted by marcus Jun 29, 2006 11:06 AM

You guys playing touch or flag?

Comment Posted by Chefy Jun 29, 2006 11:54 AM

We will be using our rules, flags and footballs and your refs and field for this first game. I am not sure what the plan is for the second one.

Comment Posted by Chefy Jul 05, 2006 07:47 AM

Just trying to do a little scouting on Sunparties. Lol. Strengths, Weaknesses, Type of Offense/Defense and the Studs or Go to Guys

Comment Posted by jkull Jul 05, 2006 01:57 PM

They'll go deep, they'll go short. They have maybe one of the fastest guys in the province (maybe CIS) in Brad Black. They have a ton of height and they probably have more team speed than any touch team I have seen.

All I am saying is these guys are pretty damn good, especially considering that they are only a bunch of basketball players :) ..... that's right Suk!!

No offence, but I would think that they would demolish you guys. Hopefully your schemes are pretty good because I don't think any team would match up athletically with them.

Comment Posted by Avengerman Jul 06, 2006 07:28 AM

Don't forget the Sunparties have biggest weapon, The Goose.

Comment Posted by Chefy Jul 07, 2006 03:46 AM

Well the game is on this Saturday at Kelvin High. 7 on 7, I think it will be a good game and i also think that the score will be a little closer then some of the above posters. Either way it will be a good test for us and a lot of fun. The Wing T looked sharp last night though

Comment Posted by Crawdad Jul 08, 2006 05:18 PM

So what was the score????

Comment Posted by bdb Jul 08, 2006 05:45 PM

sunparties won by 20. took us a little while to get used to the flag, but we still handled it

Comment Posted by Chefy Jul 09, 2006 04:58 AM

Final Score was Sunparties 65 Gladiators 53. It was a good game and a lot closer then that scorewould indicate. Either way i think we covered the spread and are looking forward to the rematch in Morden on our home field i think there could be an upset in the making

Comment Posted by ziggy75 Jul 09, 2006 05:46 AM

well wouldn't the rules change to touch rules then?...only fair.

Comment Posted by Crawdad Jul 09, 2006 07:40 AM

Only makes sense....that is the only true way to find out how you really match up against them and your addaptability to the WTFL. If that is what you are wondering.

Flag is a very different game.

Comment Posted by Chefy Jul 09, 2006 09:00 AM

I think they would agree that they had way more fun playing our rules and i do not think we would match up as well playing the touch rules as they have better overall athletes then we do. They didnt have their regular team their yesterday but they had a great team. Both teams agreed that if we played their rules they would walk on us but our rules we can compete.

Comment Posted by Crawdad Jul 09, 2006 09:35 AM

Are you considering a move to the WTFL if so you might want to get us to our rules. If not it doesn't matter.....have fun.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 09, 2006 09:38 AM

Congratulations to Morden and Sun Parties!

Nice "ambassadors- ship" for the sport of non-contact fooball.

I understand, you had a hard time securing the services of "traditional" refs. Just goes to show, "Who needs them?"

Now what was the real score?

Any chance of seeing Morden join the WTFL for 2007, or how about entering the rec. div in tournament of Champions?

Again Congratulations to Morden and Sub parties, for going where no man has gone before!

Hey Chefy, ever think about playing in the winter time,... Indoors, 5 on 5 touch. We could give you a couple of weekends, with a doubleheader to save on travel. Although some teams, seemed to play once every three weeks, anyway, making that suggestion not even needed.

When's the rematch in Morden?

Comment Posted by Chefy Jul 09, 2006 02:53 PM

Yes it was good to see that we could get together and have a great game even without the "traditional refs". The guy that did ref did a really good job and it was a pretty intense game and a good experiance for our guys. The real score was 65-53 for the Sunparties and we were ahead at halftime after trailing 19-0 to start the game. I do think that we can play with them playing our rules if we make some adjustments on defense. It was really tough for us to play man on man with them as they have some phenonmenol athletes. As far as joing the WTFL i am not sure that we could commit to the number of games that you have with all the driving that we would have to do. I think i could put a team togehter for a winter league but i would need some more informaition on that before we could commit. The rematch has not been set yet but we were hoping that we would be playing the 22nd in Morden or maybe early august. It will be up to Sun Parties as to when they can come out. We are ready and willing to get it on again.

Comment Posted by Nitrozip Jul 09, 2006 04:53 PM

I can vouch for Chefy's comments...It was a great game, I was one of the guys (#83) that came out from Morden to play against Sunparties.com. It would have been nice to have 2 or 3 refs there with a more structured format but it went quite well considering there was only one ref; he did a very nice job. For guys like myself, playing any kind of football (flag, touch, tackle) is a blast. I just plain out love the game of football. Although the guys from Sunparties.com showed up a little late, they were really friendly and eager to try flag football. They have an amazingly talented group of guys, and it didn't take them long to catch the drift of flag football. Looking forward to the re-match here in Morden whether it be touch or flag.

Comment Posted by Chefy Jul 10, 2006 05:56 AM

Brad.
Did some checking and Saturday the 22nd looks like it would work for us and you guys as far as the schedules go. Do u think you and your guys think could make that work for you. We would supply the refs the flags the field the balls and probably a few cold ones after the game. lets get it on

Comment Posted by Chefy Jul 13, 2006 10:30 AM

so are we going to play on the 22nd or what

Comment Posted by pippen33 Jul 14, 2006 05:24 PM

chefy...road trip for sunparties may not be possible because a lot of the guys are busy on the weekends...i will see if i can find a day we can make it down will get back to you.

suk\

Comment Posted by Chefy Jul 15, 2006 08:58 AM

Thanks a lot Suk. I know that i can speak for the rest of the guys that we really had a blast playing you guys and would like to have the second half of the home and home. Its been funny for us to read your forum and all the garbage that has been happening in your league cus we all agreed after we were done playing you guys that we think you and the rest of your team are a classy group. Let me know as our guys were and still are under the assumption that this was a home and home series. Thanks
Chefy

Comment Posted by spider Jul 15, 2006 09:27 AM

Chefy man!

This league is a great league! Ain't no garbage happenin! Every league has a few problems every now and then. The talk on the forum is by a bunch of football fanatics. Things get a little heated sometime because they ARE football fanatics. All the boys (and girls)want what's best for their team, but also even for the league. The forum allows for communication, and that's the first step in solving a problem!

The exec ( a volunteer group) put in countless hours. And as has been pointed out,the problems have been dealt with asap. We all don't agree sometime, but, what's important is that your concerns are dealt with. I havesaidit before, I'll say it again, we should all buy at least one exec, at least one beer for all the time and effort they put into making the league happen!

And you are right Sun parties are a great group of guys. Like I said both your teams are "Ambassadors" for the sport!

Winnipeg is holding a tournament (Tournament of Champions) Oct Thanksgiving Day weekend. Don't be afraid of the name. It's called Tournament of Champions, because if you enter you are already a "Champion"

There is usually at least 8 divisions. If you already have played the mighty Sun party team to basicaly a draw, you guys would certainly be good for the men's recreational divison, if not higher. I am sure the registration specifics will be posted shortly. Usually you get a minimum 4 game guarantee over the three days. You may play as many as 7 or 8 games, if you keep advancing.

Teams from all over the country will be coming in,including a ton from Saskatchewan and traditionally the host province, Manitoba. Give the Prez a call for more details 291- 0092.

Maybe the Prez should get something posted to ease the onslaught of soon to be coming enquiries? October Thanksgiving Day weekend. You'll see Sun parties participate and win the National Championship!

Chefy, you should make a plan B to play Sun parties early next Spring. The WTFL shedule is prety packed from now on in, I would think!

Youguys were a breath of Fresh air.

I wonder if there are any other out of town teams that would be interested in a little tournament next year?

Comment Posted by Chefy Jul 15, 2006 01:25 PM

I apologise Spider i guess maybe garbage seemed a little harsh. It just seemed that everyone was getting really riled up at the sunparties and from what we saw when we played them it was a class act. I will definitly talk to the rest of the guys about playing in that tournement cus that would be lots of fun. Whats the cost?? as far as a plan B for next spring if thats what has to happen then i guess its better then nothing however we were under the assumption that we would be playing two this year so if that would work that is what our guys would prefer. The second half of our season doesnt start until September Long so we are definitly flexible. Although we feel like we have some unfinished buisness with the Sun Parties, IF there are any other teams that would want to come play us we would make sure that all had a great time both during and after the game.

Comment Posted by Chefy Jul 31, 2006 04:48 AM

Hey is there anyone that is interested in an exhibiton game with us in morden. We would provide a chalked field, the refs, flags, and a few "pops" after the game if anyone is interested. We are still waiting for the Sun Parties to come and fulfill the home and home with us and i think that might happen towards the end of August but we would love to play anyone else as well. Maybe the powerful OC. Any takers

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com