Forums » General » League News

Messages for League News

Comment Posted by jdyck Mar 08, 2006 02:03 AM

Hello everyone!

Spring is just around the corner, and with it, the kick-off of the Winnipeg Touch Football League (WTFL) 2006 season!

In the ongoing efforts to improve what is already the best darn touch football league, we have a few updates to announce:

1) The WTFL will have 5 divisions plus the new team division. Most importantly, we will be capping the number of teams per division - 10 teams max for each of the regular divisions, and 24 teams total for the new team division.

*Divisions will be filled on a first come, first serve basis, so it will be important to get your registration in.

2) We are streamlining the registration process. Instead of holding a registration meeting, teams will be required to REGISTER ONLINE at www.wtfl.ca, and MAIL their registration fee (certified cheque or money order - no cash!) to the league’s mailing address at:

P.O. Box 2456
Winnipeg, MB
R3C 4A7

Please note that your team is not officially considered registered and can not guarantee a spot until your full league fees have been received. Registration instructions (including waiver and insurance forms) will be posted on the website shortly.

REGISTRATION DATES
Teams from Divisions 1-5 and the New Team Division can register online from April 1st, 2006, through May 1st, 2006.

Women’s Division teams will register June 1st, 2006 through July 14th, 2006.

LEAGUE FEES
League fees for the 2006 Season are as follows:

Divisions 1-5: $999.
New Team Division: $575
Women’s Division: $525

Divisions 1-5 will play an 18 game schedule, the New Team Division will play a 14 game schedule, and the Women’s Division will play a 12 game schedule.

This year, all the divisions will have playoffs the same weekend - with a windup at the Blue & Gold room complete with awards, season video, dinner and dance. Stay tuned to www.wtfl.ca for details.

So get your team together, get your registration ready, and get practising - kick-off is only 12 weeks away!

Visit www.wtfl.ca often for updates on registration, scheduling and league events.

Jeff Dyck
WTFL Communications

Comment Posted by Crawdad Mar 09, 2006 02:59 PM

Comments...

While I think it is great that we are into the new age of computer use and online registration is a wonderful idea. I do have a few comments.....discuss, yell, rant or vent as you wish....

5 divisions is a good idea...however by capping at this you may loose teams who are slow in registering just because a few players are slow in turning in there money. You might say...why is that the leagues problem. It really isn't but if you are now getting new teams that are only going to play a year and turn your back on teams that have been around for years then it might be something the league should consider. There are team reps that bust their butts to get the money in as it is but now to have the chance not to play or get in the division they want simply because of a few slow guys...not really fair.

Should the reps then take the responsibility to top up the funds....I not sure that is fair to ask of them.

Next the first come first serve basis....not really team orientated. League orientated yes. Again, teams that have played in the league for years should get 1st choice. We are the ones that keep the league going. Is it fair that if 2nd division fills to have the outsiders choose to sign in div 4 because that is the only league left with spot or the Assasins for that matter. No those teams may rather quit or leave then do that. Or should a team like Anvils be forced to sign in div 2 or 5 if 3 and 4 are full. I think the league should give this a little more thought.

Just my respectful opinion.

Brian
Chargers

Comment Posted by Token Mar 09, 2006 03:13 PM

12 weeks? That's June!

When is the start of the season?

Comment Posted by jkull Mar 10, 2006 02:50 AM

Based on what I read on the schedule of events, registration starts April 1st, fees are due by May 1st, so this gives you 1 month to collect cash.

Comment Posted by Crawdad Mar 10, 2006 04:42 AM

Jeff,
Yes but your spot is not guarenteed until your money is in. So if you don't pay until May 1st you may not get your spot. That is how I read it.

If I am wrong please let me know.

Comment Posted by Breen_004 Mar 10, 2006 10:15 AM

Do new teams have to play in the new team league?

Comment Posted by spider Mar 10, 2006 11:01 AM

Brian

Your point kind of sucks! You have been in the league for umpteen years, with basically the same roster. You know who is going to play. So set your fees accordingly. Gee so someone may have to pay up front. I would think most of your guys have jobs! Make your payment, guarantee your division and your happy.

The league is popular! what can you say? We're hostin Tournament of Champions, we want to give ourselves some room to work with. Yeah ! If we get everyone in, there is more time for adjustin the schedule, getting better fields, getting them lined, etc. You know all the stuff you bitch about!

So we are taking advantage of technology and the experts we have volunteering, to get the league business done, saving you a trip in to town, and jumpin into the future.

Send us your money, honey and we'll let you play in your division. You snooze though...., and your power to choose diminishes. Basic supply and demand econo boy!

Man I didn't know Portage had a winery out there, I thought you boys was

Comment Posted by marcus Mar 10, 2006 04:49 PM

Brian, you make a valid point that I will discuss with the executive at our next meeting (thursday). I have a potential solution to your issue that I will discuss there before posting here.

For the question about having to play in the new team divisions if you're a new team....the answer is no. The WTFL will let you play in any division you want, so if you would rather start out in a higher divison that is your decision. You may want to try to attempt to get in an exhibition game with a team from the division you are thinking of joining before the registration deadline. This might help judge where you should go, if you are new to the league.

Comment Posted by Breen_004 Mar 14, 2006 03:29 PM

couple of questions. For the new teams that want to try and get in a higher league is there a sponsorship letter that we can get, because I know businesses are going to request one, and is there an online rulebook available anywhere for the league?

Comment Posted by marcus Mar 15, 2006 06:47 PM

Not sure what you mean by sponsorship letter.

We are currently working on the online rulebook. For something to hold you over for now, Ontario has their rulebook online at: http://www.ontfl.com/pdf_files/tfo_rule_case_book_feb_eng_2004.PDF

Take a peak at that, the WTFL probably has a few rules that are different, but if you are completely new to the game, that is probably a decent read.

Comment Posted by Breen_004 Mar 16, 2006 02:04 AM

well i went to a few places and they are asking me for some kind of letter just to show that that there money is going towards our team and the wtfl.

Comment Posted by marcus Mar 16, 2006 08:49 AM

League sponsorship's are taken care of by Darrell our marketing guru, email him at marketing@wtfl.ca.

But for team sponsorships, you shouldn't need anything from the league. That type of agreement is between your team and your sponsor.

Comment Posted by jdyck Mar 23, 2006 02:26 AM

Hello everyone,

To clarify the registration process:

Team registration (for Divisions 1-5 and the new team Division) starts April 1, 2006, on a first-come/first-serve basis. In other words, starting April 1st, you can enter your team info as well as your requested division.

You then have until May 1st to get your league fees in to maintain your spot in line. Please note that payment must be received by May 1st - not postmarked by May 1st - so make sure it gets sent a few days earlier.

Hope this helps!

Jeff Dyck

Comment Posted by mel Mar 25, 2006 02:31 AM

When are the insurance fees due?

Comment Posted by spider Mar 26, 2006 04:44 PM

Yeah Breen Man

I have never heard of such a request before.

Tell your sponsor to check out this impressive website, our logo, and how it specifies "where the Pros come to play."

In the past (1983)some sponsors wanted a team/ organization constitution, but, now a days, as Marcus specified, the relationship is between you and the sponsor manager.

Who were you to? maybe they can sponsor the entire league. 65 teams coming into their business is better than one

Comment Posted by marcus Mar 26, 2006 07:00 PM

Mel, insurance fees + forms are due 24 hours BEFORE your first game. Also players must be registered on the website and added to your roster 24 hours BEFORE your first game(team reps will be able to do this themselves).
Failure to do so will result in defaulted games.

You will mail your signed insurance form (available on the left hand side of the site under downloads) and your $15 for each player to the WTFL's mailing address which you can find under the Contact link in the menu at the top of the site.

hope this helps

Comment Posted by Crawdad Mar 29, 2006 07:49 AM

When and where do we put our requests for game dates and location??? Will there be an online process for that as well?

Brian
Chargers.

Comment Posted by avengers Mar 29, 2006 01:28 PM

Location? If we took location requests then Optimist would only have tumbleweeds rolling through it.

Jon

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com