Forums » General » Suggestions for revitalizing All Star Event

Messages for Suggestions for revitalizing All Star Event

Comment Posted by mel Aug 19, 2007 08:22 AM

The lack of participation at this year's All Star evening suggests that perhaps a change of format is in order.We have to find a way to encourage all players from every team to have a reason to participate. Since most players in this league have young families I suggest that our next All Star event incorporates the concept of family. Rather than promoting adult entertainment after the event, why not have a family barbecue as part of the event. Why not set up a series of games and events that children can participate in along with small prizes for every child.Changing the day from a Friday evening to a Saturday afternoon/evening would also help. The All Star game and adult challenges could still take place. And if the Stadium is a big cost to the league for such an event, why not move the event to Bird's Hill Park. What a beautiful day it could be for all players and their families to participate in.Perhaps we could even set up a horseshoe tounament.This is our league. Lets get everyone involved and lets all have some fun. Would anyone else like to see more family involvement at this event in the future ?

Comment Posted by avengers Aug 19, 2007 09:09 AM

Horseshoes? I have to vote no. We had over 45 participants in the all-star game alone (not including all the events), that is a very good number. Teams are not obligated to send players and if we had all 80 some-odd teams participate we would have 20 players per team which logistically is too many players anyway.

Jon

Comment Posted by mel Aug 19, 2007 09:36 AM

Your right Jon. We would need a lot of horse shoe pits going at one time. Might not be a good idea unless we play till midnight. I'm just trying to get some positive feedback as to how we can get this event reenergized for next year. Perhaps many of you feel no changes are neccessary.What is stopping the other teams from participating ? This is our showcase event of the year. How can we work together to make it better ?

Comment Posted by spider Aug 19, 2007 12:51 PM

Horseshoes, no stadium? Count me out.

However, as you said, "This is our showcase event of the year. How can we work together to make it better ?" Awesome question.

While the numbers seemed to be down from last year, the contests went off perfectly. I think I should move the Receiver challenge to 6 pm, because that seemed to have the most participants. That was cool! Thanks to Jim Bell for taking care of it, and cranking it to 100 km /hr when the Assassin, Sun party and Avenger guys went up!!

This year we introduced and we stuck to "no walk-ons," and it worked like a charm. As Jon noted, it's a "fun, come if you want to," event. Hopefully with the great prizes, people will think it's a fun thing to take part in. At worst, Hooters's took care of all the team reps and all-stars, and that's nice to honour those guys. Great job by Hooters.

Some of the event winners received over $150.00 + in prizes and gift certifs. Plus some people really impressed, with their talents. Plus we saw new talent.

The Rushman challenge, which is really a quickness drill, I first saw at the Kansas City Chiefs free -agent camp I attended, is awesome. I have used that drill with my DB's, as well. At the All-Star gam, I got to run that drill,and the participants improved once they got the hang of it, and then some real talent and ability came through, as Damien won it with a 4.74 time, which is one of the best recorded. Damien's strength,I thought won it for him, as he was accelerating out of the cuts/turns, especially the last one, which seemed to do it for him.

Jason Gibbons of the Bandits, won the QB challenge with a time of 8.41 seconds.
Shawn Webb won the fastest man with a time of 4.66
Aztecs won the Mazur relay.

At Hooter's we had about 60 people come through the doors. I budgeted for 100, like I think we had last year. But that was fine, Everyone had more than enough food and beverage.

The most coolest stuff, and the actual hilites for me, were the two games. I saw only pieces, but I did see Jesse Clarke(Venom/Maroons) hit Sonja(Chargers) on a gorgeous 55 yard TD pass, second to none. The final score in this game was 7 -6!

The second game saw the #1 and# 2 QB's deal it out, as Jon Franklin's team defeated Tim Shea's team, by one TD. 19- 12! This battle has been going on all-season, with one side winning vs. the other. However, Jon is now 2-0 in the last two meetings. Tim?

I had some new volunteers step up and help me out. Nicole Laping, Melissa Harmon, and Beca Duhard along with our tresurer, Raj Brar, refs Wade Johnston,Reynald Neault and Ref/Don's Photo rep, Derrick Godfrey, who snapped over 400 pictures for us!!! My regular cast of returning volunteers, led by former Prez, Cliff Kitchen, Ref official's coordinator for the day and Hooter's jersey winner Grant Wuckert, My main man for the QB challenge, Les Mitchnik, My main "never say no" Woman's div co-ordinator Wendy Shapinia,who took care of player registration and prize distribution, and co-ordinated that group of workers, so well!!!. Wayne "the Plane" Harmon, who came straight from the airport as his flight landed at 5;45, and he was at the stadium at 6:00!!! Additionally, The Rickster, last year's beer drinking champion, who this year, lost in the semi-finals to a Trojan, who lost to the eventual Champ, Jon Franklin. Scott and Jon from the exec, closed the gates and made sure everybody was out, and the place was respectable.

Geez! From an organizational point of view, things went perfect!

However, I would be interested in hearing of some alternatives. I have already started by thinking the Receiver Challenge should be moved up to 6:00, so we can get everyone in,and not interfere with the game. Or does it matter?

What else?

Comment Posted by mel Aug 19, 2007 02:56 PM

Would moving this to a Saturday afternoon make it more convenient for more people to participate Darrell ? What do you think? By the way kudos to you and all the great voulunteers for all the time you put to this year's event. There were some great prizes awarded to the participants.The person/persons who solicited these prizes must be commended. If anyone has any positive suggestions for next year's extravaganza the AGM would be a good place to voice your opinions.Right now we have more important things to be concerned with. Playoffs are right around the corner and the best foorball of the year lies ahead of us. Good luck in the playoffs everyone. May the best teams win !!!

Comment Posted by spider Aug 19, 2007 03:57 PM

Naw let's yap about it now! Playoffs are months away.

We originally had it on a Saturday afternoon, way bach when...... I don't know why we moved. Although I know saturday afternoon's, in the summer, are pretty lazy days.

Friday under some lights? plus the hurried frenzied rush to get there. My coaches that were with me earlier that afternoon were jumping at the bit, let's get over there, let's get over there, (or maybe that was just to get to Hooter's..I don't know) I am thinking Froday still rocks, 'cause then you still have the weekend?

But yeah, a sat afternoon, and I like the kid's thing. Maybe Yewch could bring his dogs, The Krevco boys could bring a bunch of portable plug in whirlpools. We could get those plastic blow-up things...er sorry.... I mean for the kids to slide around in.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com