Forums » General » Ask the Ref

Messages for Ask the Ref

Comment Posted by spider Apr 22, 2006 06:35 AM

Here's one that need clarification:

8.) Case: The ball carrier is running down field but falls in front of the chasing defender. The defender’s hand passes over
the fallen player but does not make contact.

Comment Posted by mbender Apr 22, 2006 06:55 AM

Here is a better question : did he drop the ball when he fell? did it roll forward or backwards? did his knees touch the ground ? does any of that make a difference :)? (remember there is no fumbles in touch football for all you rookies) I remember a guy playing new division caught the ball at the 45 and ran untouched to the endzone, he didn't get a touch down because I called him down at the 2 (he got cocky and started his endzone dance and the ball slipped from his hand and hit the ground at the 2) he continued to run in the endzone and figured he was good.... icky woods would be so ashamed.

Now saying nothing did happen from above, the offensive player tripped over the 30 yard line hit the ground and now what, Did the closest defender try to make a "waving motion over the fallen defenders head or body? does that make a difference? hmmmmmmm

alot of players last year did not know that officially that the wave wasn't considered a tag any more in the WTFL. Some referee's called it some didn't... a few of us were told that If you waved over a fallen player it didn't count as a tag anymore, you had to make contact with the player by either "Jumping over" him/her or applying a tag to him/her - personally I thought it was incredibly dangerous to omit that wave and go with this jumping rule, some poor bastard was going to take a kick to the head from someone so it all depends on what stands this year.

no attempted contact by the defender or "wave" (if that rule is in effect this year), the play is still live is it not?

and I think that u should clarify that kicking a guy's foot in mid stride (when they get tangled up) is considered a minor form of pass interference is it not ?

Marty B
OC and Venom QB #18
/Referee

Comment Posted by jkull Apr 22, 2006 07:28 AM

Waving a hand over a player should never be considered a tag.

The only way it would be a tag is if the ball carrier fell a few feet in front of the defender and the defender jumped over the player to avoid a dangerous situation.

Comment Posted by spider Apr 22, 2006 08:30 AM

Wow!

I was just asking about the wave over rule.

Criteria for pass interference involves 14 points.
and context. Attend that portion of the clinic, for an information session that will be unforgetable and fascinating. Pass Inteference is Thee hot topic of that session

Come to the Official's Back Judge clinic 9:00 - N00N,-Polo Park CanadInns and 2:00 - 4:30 at Tec Voc, for some Assassins/Avengers pre-season scrimmage so we can practice reffing.

Hey Jeff whay aren't you at practice?

Comment Posted by mbender Apr 22, 2006 09:04 AM

so did I get it right or did I get it wrong regarding the play would still be live?

I find it rather funny because Isn't Darrell (spider) the highest ranking referee in the province (level 5) so IF you asked the question, what is the correct answer regarding both the tangling of feet and your scenario because I along with everyone else who cares (players) are probably interested? I know both scenarios come up alot during the season.

I swear darrell if teaching wasn't your passion you should of ran for politics because your great at giving a long winded response without actually answering anything :)

WHEN / WHERE is the "HEAD REFEREE CLINIC" (along with times)?

I thought this thing was only going to be to 3PM why is it now till 4:30?

Comment Posted by kanwal Apr 22, 2006 11:34 AM

Gentleman,

I believe the hand over the fallen player was a good rule. In terms of safety, I think the last thing you want are players jumping over other players in vulnerable positions or guys diving at the downed player in order to get the tag. The downed player is definately defenseless.

As for pass interference when legs are tangled, as always this is under the discretion of the official; but if incidental, who is the penalty called on? What if the defensive player falls down? Is it offensive pass interference and a change of possession? Do we call penalities simply because a player fell? and which player? If not intentional(again at the discretion of the official), I think we should just leave it as a consequence of the game... not a foul.

Just a defensive player's opinion.

I know... I know... touch is a scoring game.

Comment Posted by mbender Apr 22, 2006 12:49 PM

Hey Kanwal,

I totally agree with you on the waving situation,I feel it should be in place because of safety issues.

With the incidental tangling of the feet, see plenty of new team division players (because that's the majority of where I refereed last season) always felt that PI should of been called, the referee crew always felt it was a "no call" and would try to explain it as such, time was wasted in my opinion because if everyone (players that is) were able to understand the reasoning then the bickering and game would go smoother.

The reason I brought this up is because another reckgonizable name who is a long standing official in another league (And no I'm not trying to start banter here between leagues) explained to me a few seasons ago that incidental or not this is something that "should" be called everytime. I think alot of new players would benifit from knowing the clear ruling of this and it would help speed up the game where some inexperienced player wants to argue with you about innocent colisions that occur from bumping/tangling of the feet where the ball was uncatchable anyways.

I kind of want clarification also because I have let it go myself (as u said it's at the discretion of the official) Guess it might be answered at the course.

Comment Posted by spider Apr 22, 2006 02:14 PM

PI - 14 known variables. Context.....and youwant a ruling on a textcase following the wave over rule????I am so confused....But here goes...

"and I think that u should clarify that kicking a guy's foot in mid stride (when they get tangled up) is considered a minor form of pass interference is it not ?"

What is the context?

Who had gained positional advantage to the arrival point of the ball?
Did one guy have an advantage, and the other guy was trailing.
Was the ball on target and not undertthown, causing some contact?
Did one guy's contact affect the other guy?
Did one guy determine the path to the ball first, and had it takenaway by presumably the defender? (with a bump?)

If one guy had gained positional advantage to the eventual arrival point of the ball,..... then contact the affected that guy (receiver?)I against the defender should be P!.

If the ball would have been catchable (landing withing 5 yards of the receiver) it would be target PI!

If the pass was uncatchable,it would be downgraded to remote are PI ( a ten yard penalty from the LOS.)

Damn.... now there are only 11 more keys to calling PI that I have to tell you about.
And wait till you see the culprits from this league!! Was that Dr. Kanwal Saran??? perhaps one of the most astute at taking a players path away and causing "subtle" contact, there by blowing the receiver off his pattern.

Did the Dock learn the skill from "Dr. Bump" Corey (I did not touch him)
Hanssen?

9:00 CanadInns Polo park Level II backjuddge clnic followed by Level III HR, at 1:00 pm.

On field proving ground....er practical to follow.... Assassins vs.Avengers 2:15 pm.

Marty see you at 9:00 bells cost $30.00

$30.00 gets you through the door, with a souvenir manual, rule and case book, exam, and certification. Only 5 spots open. Get your registration in soon.

5 spots left. If you want to "get it" "be there!"

Comment Posted by sosay Apr 22, 2006 03:10 PM

is not the defenders job to try and make the receivers pattern change

Comment Posted by mbender Apr 22, 2006 04:34 PM

I still stand correct, a bunch of mumbo jumbo and no real answer :) what is the word on the wave over rule?? we get a better guess on if you are conserative, NDP or let me guess darrell from your answers you must be part of the "green party" :)

either way See yah next saturday at 9am.

Comment Posted by sosay Apr 22, 2006 06:06 PM

sorry what i meant is isn't it the defenders job to stop the receivers pattern.agree with the hand over rule

Comment Posted by spider Apr 22, 2006 06:49 PM

Marty,

You know me,.....full of hot air.

Saucey, Defenders can't kung-fu/Jai Alai,rough up a receiver. That's illegal

Marty how was that? (I'll start practicing for sat.)

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com