Forums » General » Fields

Messages for Fields

Comment Posted by Jyuen Mar 20, 2009 10:49 AM

Assuming all of the fields are gunna remain the same as last year?

Comment Posted by marc Mar 20, 2009 11:09 AM

We've requested a few more fields to give us some better coverage across the city. Last I checked we are still waiting to hear back. As soon as we know, I'll add them to the fields menu on the website.

Comment Posted by Jyuen Mar 23, 2009 05:37 AM

Good to hear. We were at Maple Grove like 90% of our games last year

Comment Posted by marc Mar 23, 2009 06:34 AM

I assume you live on the other side of the city? Most people have positive feedback on maple grove, except for the people who have to drive across the city.

Except for the road that leads to the parking lot. That thing is awful!

Comment Posted by Jyuen Mar 23, 2009 10:54 AM

Yes that road can swallow cars whole some days. And yes pretty much the opposite end of the city. Is Little Mtn completely out of the picture as far as fields go now?

Comment Posted by marc Mar 23, 2009 12:14 PM

Little mtn is completely out of the picture, for a few reasons. The most important one from what I gather is cost. I don't have the exact numbers, but from what I'm told they want stupid money for the use of the fields.

Little mtn is also about 10 min from Optimist Park where we play a bunch of games. We do want to get more fields in the north end though so we're working on it.

Comment Posted by TrickDigga Mar 30, 2009 06:40 AM

I've heard Little Mountain wanted to charge for gate fees and that was the problem. The field cost isn't too bad as it's listed on their website as $50.00/week night/field or $100.00/weekend day/field. I can't imagine that being much more than anywhere else especially as it's not based per game.

I've also heard rumors that there is a new Touch Football league playing out of Little Mountain as well, maybe they are exclusive to there so no other leagues can play there. Who knows?

Comment Posted by marc Mar 30, 2009 08:32 AM

I wasn't on the executive last year but I was on it when we originally hooked up the field. In addition to the per use charge, they also wanted a large lump sum payment for using it all season. This was apparently to go towards fertilizer and other field maintenance costs.

I thought the numbers were discussed at the AGM, but I can't remember now. I do know with the last numbers I heard it definitely wasn't worth the money.

Comment Posted by duhard Mar 30, 2009 10:02 AM

Last year they wanted to double the price for the season (~ $20k) and not give out any free gate passes (as they did the previous year) so we'd have to pay for those on top of the field cost. A bigger problem was they did not hold up to their side and the fields were poorly maintained (rarely watered, never aerated, too many gopher holes etc). So for that price, with the poor conditions, and paying to get in (plus the stupid beer carts only served baseball!), we couldn't justify the money. Perhaps they have rethought their pricing since nobody used the fields last year, but the quality is still not there.

A 4th touch football league?! we're crazy for the football here in wpg

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com