Forums » General » Enquiring minds

Messages for Enquiring minds

Comment Posted by spider Nov 22, 2009 07:43 AM

If there is anyone out there who can shed some light, here is a question never before seen on any Winnipeg football forum.

Looking for some insight.

I just witnessed two player injuries involving knees. The players in question basically inflicted the damage themselves. Simply put they made a cut, and injured themselves.

As a coach I have seen this potentially happen many times. (Obviously, like thousands of coaches we try and teach the proper mechanics of making such a cut) Usually, a player tries to make a cut, and I assume due to their speed, power and change of direction,on artificial turf in particular, they get injured.

Now not all touch football players come from football coached backgrounds. Is that a problem with regard to making a "cut" (change of directon for non-football trained people???)

It's almost like we should have players who register, sign a form noting they have been taught how to make a cut(especially on artificial turf)

Maybe we should hold a mandatory player clinic, providing players with info on "how to make a cut in football." I would think that most players withsome formal football training, have been taught by our coaches, to "break down"(slow down), lower the centre of gravity, and then plant your foot in a 3 step prepatory sequence before the final plant to change direction??? Yes?? NO??

Does that sound logical??

As I stated I have seen 3 people, literally rip their ligaments or cartilage,(by themselves,) making a cut, seemingly on artificial turf. I am starting to cringe when I see this, as I am starting to expect the worst. I feel like yelling," Don't make that move at full speed, you have to slow down." But I feel I am an old white guy, whose forte wasn't ever speed, and I had my success, always by breaking down and making moves, as opposed to speed....so what do I know?

Does that happen on grass? Has anyone noticed the same thing?

If anyone can shed some light on this, maybe it's something we should make all our players aware of?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Hockey has that new "STOP" on the back of jerseys to prevent hitting from behind. Should we put a little sticker on our shoes saying "slow down" ( as a reminder to gear it down prior to making a cut??")

If you have ever had one of these torn ligaments/cartlage, you know how debilitating they can be.

Any ideas on this?

Comment Posted by cswanston Nov 26, 2009 09:34 AM

Hey Darrel,

The guy who did the double knee cap dislocation simply jumped (no cut) and landed on both feet at the same time...you could hear the p-pop! I've never seen anything like it.

Craig

Comment Posted by spider Nov 26, 2009 03:01 PM

Yeah that's right,

I wonder if anyone else has heard of something like that?

Apparently he tore both tendons and is awaiting surgury...What kind of move did you put on him,"Ripper?" :)

It was like a bad scene from the Matrix only with Quentin Tarrentino directing a scene from Kill Bill,mixed in. I wqs waiting for the bl....wait, that's far too graphic.

At least the pain appeared minimal.??

Why don't skiiers and gymnasts have injuries like that?

I'm still perplexed.??

Comment Posted by cwentz Dec 01, 2009 07:58 AM

Hi Darrell,

The main reason for knee injuries in football is because of cleets. Wearing cleets puts added strain and torque on the knees, when you dig your feet to make your cut the force is transfered through the knee.

For someone who doesn't train to play in cleets shouldn't wear them, the reason pro football players don't blow ligaments every week is because they strenth train there legs.

So this could be a reason u are seeing gross knee injuries. I know I've torn mine a few years back and still wear a brace to this day in whatever I do, and it boiled down to running in cleets when my legs were not strong enough to take the added torque.

Chris

Hope that helps

Comment Posted by spider Dec 01, 2009 05:35 PM

Oh yeah I am familiar with that. Plus guys who play football, are trained not to try and cut with a high center of gravity.

But this guy had Nike Shocks on! You're probably "bang on" regarding training though!

Should "the league" have a pre-season clinic, to "demonstrate/" provide a training program?"

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com