Forums » General » Crazy Plays # 3

Messages for Crazy Plays # 3

Comment Posted by spider May 21, 2010 05:41 AM

OK this one is for the newbies. I think we have called this one very consistently the last few years, so I am sure the membership will get this one correct.

Here's the situation...

Defender (B1) dives to knock down a pass intended for receiver(A1), but is unsuccessful, and A1 catches the ball. However, in the attempt to knock the ball down B1 brushed A1. What's the call?

Comment Posted by captainwoody May 21, 2010 09:16 AM

I'm 0/2.... lets go for the perfect record!!!

I'm going to say that the play is still live. No call to make.

Comment Posted by lmitchnik May 21, 2010 11:33 AM

I know I am not a newbie, but thought I could at least get one right:

The defender must make a deliberate attempt to tag. Since B1 is playing the ball and not the man, there is no tag called on the play and A1 can continue to advance the ball until a deliberate tag is made or they score.

Les

Comment Posted by cwentz May 21, 2010 11:39 AM

Ref calls target PI, defender freaks out and gets an extra 15yard objectional conduct penalty which is applied on the next play!

But really I gotta guess, no infraction play is live!

Comment Posted by spider May 25, 2010 09:05 AM

Yeah you dudes are all right on.

Here's the offcial wording.

Ruling: No whistle! Atouch must be made deliberately,with the hand, not by contacting the receiver with the body (Rule 9.1)

There's also a comment!!

Comment: When a defender is playing the ball and inadvertently touches the receiver, this is not considered a touch. However, officials must be careful to watch for the trailing hand which many players use to ensure that if they miss the ball they will still get the touch.

Finally. I did read this in the Policy anf Intent Refs manual.A touch must be seen by the official.

So, keep in mind, if you happen to tag the guy/gal and the player you touch hashi/her body in between the ref and your touch, the ref probably can't see the tag. So, besides being aterrific player that you are, younow have to be aware that your great play, must also be seen by the refs.

OK, couple more days, till the next cae. I'll make this one a little more difficult.
:)

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com