Forums » General » Crazy PLays # 4

Messages for Crazy PLays # 4

Comment Posted by spider May 28, 2010 04:08 AM

OK, this one is a little more tricky. As stated previously, this one happens maybe 2x a season.

Here it is.

Flash QB A1 (..because she is!) throws a forward pass down field to Flash receiver A3. However, the pass is too high and goes over A3's flowing red locks. The official blows the whistle "inadvertently," (who ever made that word up?)while the ball is still in the air(anticipating an incomplete pass,)...but GG Dubs DB (B3) is able to dive and intercept the ball.... What would be the correct ruling in this case?

Comment Posted by captainwoody May 28, 2010 05:51 AM

It is tricky. I'm going to say that the Interception Stands, and the GG Dubs will scrimmage from where the ball was intercepted.

Comment Posted by alouette May 28, 2010 07:52 AM

Ha ! Something similar happened on May 18th between Aruba Knights and T.A.K. Aruba Knights receiver (A3) in this case bobbled the ball and an "inadvertent" whistle was blown by one official (remember Neal ?) thinking the pass was incomplete. The ball was recovered by T.A.K. (B3)as the ball never touched the ground and started to run because he was untouched. The play was whistle dead but the ruling on the field was T.A.K. ball where B3 recovered it. Team A argued that it should be an incomplete pass since no one on team A went for the ball since the whistle was blown. Is the fact that the ball was bobbled make it a different situation than an overthrown ball ?

Comment Posted by dvmuir May 28, 2010 08:35 AM

I think the interception should stand, unless there was a Flash player within range to make a play on the ball who stopped when the whistle was blown. If the whistle caused someone to stop who could have made a play on the ball then the interception should not be allowed.

Comment Posted by captainwoody May 28, 2010 12:32 PM

Alouette: Yes I remember. Bobbled Ball, Wet ball, Slimy Ball, Air Ball... I don't think it matters. Interception, ball is scrimmaged from the point of interception.

Comment Posted by spider May 31, 2010 12:36 PM

Yep, no foolin, you guys.

Here's what the official ruling says, plus a comment.

The play will stand and the interception is good, provided the ref is certain beyond a doubt, that the whistle did not effect the play. In this case, the ref determined that the interception would have been made whether there was a whistle or not. The play is dead when B3 intercepted the ball, and can not be advanced. (Rule 10.6.11)

Now there's more........... for you touch football affianados.

a Comment: An inadvertent whistle requires careful consideration as to when a play is affected or not.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com