Forums » General » Crazee Plays # 7

Messages for Crazee Plays # 7

Comment Posted by spider Jun 18, 2010 01:56 PM

Yo!

OK this next one has happended 3 times in my 30 year touch "career."

But man was it ever a #^*& when it did.

The Ref announces third down and eight yards to go. The offense calls a play and gets a completion for 10 yards. Then the ref notes a first down was not gained, as it really was more like third and twelve to go.

What to do?

Comment Posted by bshea Jun 18, 2010 03:50 PM

Turn-over on downs

Comment Posted by spider Jun 18, 2010 05:23 PM

wise beyond your years....

Comment Posted by spider Jun 21, 2010 06:50 AM

What was wrong with the play?

Well, this play illustrates why officials (and especially the Head Ref) should refrain from announcing "exact" yardage. Rather, suggest that the teams "check the bags,"or give an approximate (about x# of yards)figure, with a clear advisory that it is an approximation.

The Head Ref is responsible for the correct down: The teams are responsible for knowing the exact yardage needed for the first down.

I found this example interesting, because, last year on a few occassions, one of the newer teams became somewhat irritated with me, for not telling them how many yards they needed.

In certifying our Head Refs, I tell them not to tell the yardage, but, if they are going to try and assist to emphasize the "about" word in their vocabulary.

This week moves to Saturday for the next case.

Comment Posted by cswanston Jun 21, 2010 07:18 AM

Thanks for doing this Darrell- Crazee plays are a great training tool for refs and players and another reason why the W has the best refs in the city!

Thanks,
Craig

Comment Posted by spider Jun 21, 2010 11:02 PM

My pleasure "Daddy-O."

The Dub has always been a leader /pioneer in developing and or promoting touch football, in Manitoba. Whether that would be in promoting the game through clinics, multi divisions, differential pricing, All-Star game, Summer tournaments, ref certification clinics for all three levels (and a soon to be Level IV Head Ref clinic)accountable management, a constitution that respects its members, Stadium games, Finals at the Stadium and accountability.

The Dub not only provides the best quality refs, best fields, best teams, but it also provides those little "extras," such as a little "clarification" of the rules, so we can all enjoy our favourite game even more.

I got a hot case, for this Saturday, but, and although it's related to the above case, it's a little different, and is somewhat controversial in how to call/answer it. Basically, it's an "Oh my Gawd," situation......so stay tuned....(not sure if Bshea will get this one.)

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com