Forums » General » Food for thought

Messages for Food for thought

Comment Posted by spider Nov 07, 2010 08:22 AM

Well as a long time advocate of the game of touch football, I thought I'd throw out one of my favourite ideas...That is a way to provide a fun time with actual skill demonstration.

Basing this on previous years, and a couple comments from the past couple years, I'd like to propose that we invite anyone and everyone to a big party, that involves a little tournament action.

The last couple of years the Dub has offered a tourney at various summer times. Competition from volleyball and Basketball has made it attended by less teams. So the thought was again to move it back/up to June. Now that is when the annual Spring Tournament used to be held.

I know Saskatchewan, has said that would be a better time of year. So I a thinking June 24, 25, 26th.

So the crux is of course, all those people who were saying we should have a real competition,well this is your chance. I would hope all the Elite teams in the Province and all the second tier teams would register. Of course the other great experience of the tournament event, is the fact you get to play a bunch of different teams. That would be where the other divisions should also register.

A third benefit of a tournament is that it really helps your team gel. Spending a day together or two or three really brings people together. So therefore all teams should be eying this as a "must- do" event.

This is not a new great idea. Ontario has been doing this as part of their regular schedule for years. (What they do is have a smaller "league" schedule i.e. 14 games, and then allow weekends for @ 7 tournaments across the province.) Many years ago we also had tournaments in Brandon, Clear lake,Steinbach and Winnipeg.

So, I would be willing to step up and organize such an event, but I would like to check out the interest ahead of time.

Any comments ideas, suggestions would be appreciated. Post 'em up or email me

Comment Posted by spider Dec 11, 2010 09:47 AM

OK been doing a little planning. The Spring Tournament is on!!

Just got word that the city has confirmed the use of Tec Voc for June 24,25,26th and am in the process of confirming the Rods field site, possible 3 fields there also. The Rods would have their canteen and washroom facilities open.

Here we go Winnipeg!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com