Forums » General » WPG TOC Cliff for President of the World

Messages for WPG TOC Cliff for President of the World

Comment Posted by spider Oct 09, 2006 07:26 PM

Wow!.

TOC WPG 2006.

What a blast.

Congrats to all who participated. I was only there for two days, but I did not see an unhappy face all weekend.

Aside from the incredible play of the teams and players and officials, what a great job by the tournament organizers, Ed Laverty and Cliff Kitchen, and their crew of volunteers.

Of course congrats to the Assassins and Eagles who made it to their divison finals but lost in their goal of winning the Championship.

No one really understands the significance of itty bitty Winnipeg doing well at the Nationals. But someone said it and I like the way it was phrased. Southern Ontario and Quebec have over 10 million people to draw players from,and us here in Winnipeg, 750,000.

What a great time seeing all the old familiar faces from across most of Canada. Did you see the crowd at the Faremont on Saturday night??? It reminded me of the old Halloween Social Touch Bowl days. That place was rockin. OC's Ronny "the hawk" Allen, had the tunes rockin with an incredibly great selection of my personal favourites. Judging by the dance floor, a lot of others shared that opinion.

I especially enjoyed workin the bar at Maple Grove with Rick Downie on Saturday. Rick we got to open our own place. You were great. Kathy Harmon who must have spent 72 hours doing everything from bartending to posting scores was incredible. She even managed to snafu Wayner into helping out AFTER he reffed 16 games on the weekend!!!

Plus I got to meet Cliff's wife Denise! Hey Denise you got any unmarried sisters???

However, the guy that made it happen....MISTAAAAAAHHHHHH CLIFF KITCHEN, who I might add, is still at Maple grove as I type this, cleaning up, is/was fantastic. The entire tournament came off perfect. (Well OK Sunday was a litle cold, but...everything else was awesome.) I can not believe the guy organized everything virtually by hisself, played, bartended, socialized, organized and organized and organized and still had energy to be the last to be at Maple Grove, after 4 days.

Geez Cliff,imagine if you was President of the World???

Amazing!

This was my 25 or 26th Nationals(since 1983) and I'd have to say it ranks up there with the best, if not THEEEE Best!

Whoever is hostin it next year.....the bar has been raised. Ottawa. Moncton???Ya better get yor Cliffy on!

Rumour has it, Cliff wants it back in two years, to coincide with the Assassins,30th Anniversary.

Geez that was fun!

Anyone else have a good time?

Comment Posted by Spidey Oct 10, 2006 06:00 AM

Just wanted to recognize the tremendous job Cliff and his committee did
as well. Thanks for making Winnipeg and our league look first class. You
put an incredible amout of time and effort into making this tournament a
success and all of your energy paid off in an absolutely wonderful weekend.
Thanks again Cliff for a great job.
Also, congratulations to the Assassins, my Eagles teammates and the other Winnipeg teams that demonstated that we sure know how to play football here in the Peg.

Grant
Eagles #80

Comment Posted by pippen33 Oct 10, 2006 10:02 AM

you know what the tournament may have been run well as far as gettin all the games organized and completed but i think there were way to many problems with this tournament and a lot of B.S. i'd like to know how the Ed Laverty can kick three players off the assassins out of the tournet because they are apparently not on a roster but then allow a guy from toronto to play for the assassins...also i would like to know why Cliff who okayed our roster move didn't step up and say something when all the arguements started. this weekend really put a sour tast in my mouth for football. i sat and watched probably 50% of the teams in this tournament playin with players that they have just picked up for this very tourney and wondered how we could be the only ones that got booted. i think this subject was handled very poorly and very immaturely.. the organizin committee should not have had the right to kick us out of this tournament and allow all the other players to continue to compete...i mean when i tried to talk to him about all the other players that he is gonna have to kick out of this tournament he was bein a lil prick and sayin that he is done talkin bout this topic...well to me thats bullshit...and the reason he wasnt listenin is because he knows that he would lose a lot of players and perhaps some teams out of this tournament...i mean how do you justify this? in the end this touney lost a lot of credibility and integrity in my books.. and should be run by someone else next year....someone who knows how to handle tough situations like an adult and with some sort of maturity...you sayin cliff for president im sayin cliff let the local assassin team down.

suk

Comment Posted by spider Oct 10, 2006 10:39 AM

fyi

While your main point is valid, Cliff obviously voted for letting the added players play. He was out voted by a committee of Eastern reps. Your points are questions that I also would like answered. Especially when one of the committee reps was one of the guys who launched the protest.

Why were the Assassins singled out? Why were none of the 15 other teams who picked up players just for the tournament, not disqualified.

Seems like the East was afraid the West was going to kick thir butt, and made an Assassin rule.

To their credit, the Assassins sucked it up, and played hard for a half before running out of gas.

I guess that's one way the East maintains it's superiority over the West.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com