Forums » General » OC in Div. 2 next year??

Messages for OC in Div. 2 next year??

Comment Posted by Token Oct 16, 2006 08:40 PM

This is a legitimate question and by no means meant as a jab to the OC,

but how do you plan on staying competitive next year in div 2?

Omar and Wayne are already on Aztecs, and Ziggy is already on Outsiders (who I believe are returning to div. 2 next year if I hear correctly).

Ziggy and Wayne accounted for 244 of your points and 22 picks this season, and Omar had 33 sacks. Those are big shoes to fill, especially when you'll be moving up to tougher teams.

Mike

Comment Posted by marcus Oct 16, 2006 09:25 PM

It's way to early to tell if the outsiders will be anywhere and who will be on the roster or which division we will be in. Ziggy wasn't at our playoff game so I'm assuming he doesn't care about the outsiders too much. Assume he's on OC.

Comment Posted by Token Oct 16, 2006 09:33 PM

oops, sorry bout that. Ignore the Ziggy part in the first post... but Wayne and Omar are huge contributors too...

Comment Posted by marcus Oct 16, 2006 09:58 PM

Don't get me wrong, when Ziggy came to our games he played hard. We picked him up after the season started so I assume he was committed to his other teams first.

The real question is why do you care? The season is far away and lots can happen.

Comment Posted by Token Oct 16, 2006 10:25 PM

well there's been a lot of talk by the OC about how they plan on moving up and I was just wondering if they had a plan for the loss of the two guys mentioned earlier.

It's not meant to be a combative question and I don't see any harm in asking. I mean, more power to them if they can effectively compete in Div. 2 next year. But it's hard for teams to move up when they are already playing with players who play on upper div teams already.

For example, if the Blazers decided they wanted to move up, we'd lose Jon Franklin, Gavin Panchuk, and Kanwal Saran. Those guys are major contributors to the team and it would be next to impossible to replace them. Obviously we would not be competitive.

So all I'm wondering is if the OC has anything up their sleeve to keep them competitive.

Comment Posted by Long Island Ice-T Oct 17, 2006 01:51 AM

Hey Token...it is a valid question.

As far as I know...we don't know. :)
If we were to take a vote on our team it probably would 50/50 right now.

You are right...those guys mentioned are major contributors to the OC squad so a lot depends on what our roster is like for next year. But I have heard some encouraging things regarding that so we'll see.

Vaughn
OC

Comment Posted by jmack Oct 17, 2006 03:14 AM

Token,

I think the question that should be asked here is why don't the Aztecks and Blazers move up to Div 1? They killed pretty well all the other teams in Div 2 this year. Take a look at thier rosters, they are pretty well Div. 1 teams already with the players they have. I am not sure why any of the of the other teams would ever go back to Div 2 so they can be the proverbial lambs lead to the slaughter just so some Div. 1 players can win it all in Div. 2. Why don't we have a rule like in soccer where the top team(s) in one Division move up, and the bottom move down? Of course that was a rhetorical question as the answer is that too many Div. 1 players play for the top two teams in Div 2.
We may as well have a 3 or 4 team Div. 2, as the other teams have a non-existant chance of winning against the Div. 1 teams that are pretending to be div 2.

Comment Posted by mbender Oct 17, 2006 05:19 AM

Mike,

To answer your questions, although I cannot speak for Wayne Jackson or Ziggy Haliuk or anyone on the OC other than myself and let's face it this is 8 months away and there is no "contracts" here so a ton can happen but I will shed some interesting light on the subject in my opinion.

Mr Jackson originally wanted to play with the OC to have an opportunity to play with his good friend Kirklin "Chillin" Sam who will hopefully be back with the OC next season after suffering an injury that kept him out of the line up for a year. Kirklin is a former div 1 player who lead the OC in points and interceptions with 156 points and 12 interceptions. Kirlin's Uncle happens to be our Center and one of our team captains in Phil Sam. So we expect Kirklin back next year as he is one of the best receivers i have every played with. Maybe Wayne plays another year with the OC Maybe he doesn't, As a Qb it was a pleasure having him to throw too and I know all the guys loved his intensity and he is an awesome teammate. We'll find out in 8 months we want him back and Hopefully he choses to play in orange but as the scoring champ of 3 divisions and a super freak on the field he will have tons of different teams wanting him to play.

Ziggy on the other hand just won a championship with Me in the UTFL on Sunday and after playing 2 years as one of my receivers he has scored over 112 points a year on 3 different teams i have QB'd so when he plays with me he knows he gets the ball thrown his way. He is a big part of our team on both offense and defense, and I know there is interest for him to play higher from other teams, hopefully he chooses to play again with team, I would think we have great chemistry on the field and I think he enjoys the team but then again he probably will be asked by a few elite teams to play.

Omar Dwyer is a critical part of our defense and the top rusher in the league (my opinion) I would think he would want to come back as he is learning from one of the best rushers to play the game in Ron Allen, We are hopefully adding one other player who happens to be good friends with Omar in Ferand Dopewell, Ferand and Omar played with us in TOC and were an excellent 1,2 punch as rushers.I would assume if we made the jump up Ferand would continue to play with the OC as he and Phil Sam have become good buddies. Ron Bumbry has shown interest in playing again in the WTFL (a former scoring champ) so if we do lose our keys guys we have others interested in playing, Hopefully we have room for all of them as we do have a good team both on and off the field as everyone is buddies.

a few of us really want to play higher as we all know you don't get better unless you play higher competition. The Key in my opinion is not just the 3 you mentioned but in my opinion is that we get Ron Allen and Phil Sam to play another year as they are the glue of the OC. Both of them have helped so many of our games as individuals and Phil has made me a better QB in the past 2 seasons, hopefully he has the patience to mentor me another few years.

Like I said, I don't know anything but my own plans but hopefully in the futre we see all 3 of the guys you questioned in OC jerseys. I'm sure The Aztecs will be interested also in how this turns out but only Norm Mcreight who runs the OC only knows what the plans are for the team next year and it's roster. Guess you could say Let the free agent season begin :)

Comment Posted by Token Oct 17, 2006 09:15 AM

Thanks for the response Marty and Vaughn, that's all I was looking for.

As for your post J-Mack...

Maybe you should do some homework before you start throwing accusations around. Blazers and Aztecs have 3 upper div players each, you're right, but we're not the only teams in div. 2 to take advantage of that rule. Woodys also has 3 upper div. players in Andrew Henry, Rabichuk, and Jason Shannon (don't you play on Woodys?), and Torsion has 2 upper div. players in the Swanston brothers.

In fact the only team in the top 5 to not have upper div. players was the Bowflex Bingers who went 11-7.

Mike

Comment Posted by marcus Oct 17, 2006 09:19 AM

Lets not forget Colin Cheys and Randy Wiebe who have played in div 1 for several years too.

Comment Posted by Token Oct 17, 2006 09:24 AM

Neither of whom were at our last playoff game.

Comment Posted by marcus Oct 17, 2006 09:30 AM

I don't think that's the point though :)

Comment Posted by snapper30 Oct 17, 2006 01:06 PM

I would agree with Marcus, its not the point.
Regardless of whether you have 1 upper div guy or the maximum at 3. Both the Aztecs and Blazers destroyed the competition in div 2.
Out of 5 games we played the Blazers(including our play-off game)we(Woodys)only beat the Blazers once, and it was a close game(10
point differential)the games we lost were blow-outs!!Against the Aztecs we only beat them once and I believe they had 8 guys and
Brownridge was not 100%. Both teams dominated div 2 this past year.Look at the standings and the individual stats. Besides their
upper div talent both teams were surrounded with a great supporting cast including yourself Token. You will not find any weak players on either
roster!!Great recruiting by both Todd and Jon respectively. We won div 2 with a regular season record of 3-15 last year. We
did anything but dominate last year,hence us staying put in div 2. This year div 2 was much stronger based on the fact that we
had 2 very good teams in the Aztecs and Blazers. As well, the Bowflexors were stronger this year. I would definitely like to see both teams moved up
next year based on the great season they both had. As team captain, it would not be very encouraging knowing that both teams would be back in div 2 next
year to rack up the stats.
Snapper 30
Joey
Woodys

Comment Posted by snapper30 Oct 17, 2006 01:12 PM

Good luck to both Aztecs and Blazers in the final,should be a hell of a game!!!
Good luck to all the teams that made it to their resective division finals,its a long road.
Thanks to the leauge volunteers and Cliff for putting on another great season.
Woodys will be sure to send a rep the AGM.
Hopefully OC will move up to div2 next year along with No D and St.Vitals Finest!!
Snapper 30
Joey
Woodys

Comment Posted by Byatch Oct 17, 2006 01:50 PM

I think alot of you guys have forgotten that the Blazers are essentially the same team that played Div 3 last year.

They moved up and have given the Aztecs a run for their money. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, they've moved up 3 out of the last 4 years. They have alot of talent but saying they should've been in Elite this year is a bit silly.

How many teams jump 2 Divisions when they've never won a Championship?

I prefer to play better teams and hopefully when playoffs come my team can pull an upset(Woody's style). If not, at least I got to play against better players, which in turn, can only make me better.

Whatever happens, I expect Div 2 to be very interesting next year.

Best of luck to the Aztecs and Blazers.

Thurston
#8 Torsion

Comment Posted by ziggy75 Oct 17, 2006 02:30 PM

as far as the oc moving up into div 2 well it all depends on the roster,as far as me...this old hurting body cant handle that many teams...lol.

right now just trying to heal up for that great season of indoor.

Comment Posted by rey Oct 17, 2006 05:42 PM

i haven't finished this entire thread so maybe this is addressed later, but.....

"Kirlin's Uncle happens to be our Center and one of our team captains in Phil Sam."

??

you have more than one team captain inside Phil? how does that work for your roster situation? does phil have to register online twice, or three times, i guess if he has more than one captain in him? i don't mean to dredge up old arguments but was phil even eligible for the playoffs if he didn't register twice (or more)?

i am confused, but i will read on.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com