Forums » General » Rumours de jour

Messages for Rumours de jour

Comment Posted by spider Jan 28, 2007 07:50 PM

Happy New Year

Hi, I have been asked to help market the WTFL. Any ideas?

Here are some rumours: Will that help?

- Div 2 to feature 10 - 12 teams. Top half of teams will also play an interlocking schedule with the Elite.

- Elite will have 4 teams?

- No weekend Games,(daytime Saturday/Sunday) unless your team absolutely demands it.

- Woman to play more games

- Stadium Games return, but you have to pre-sign (so we can use the other field slots)

All- Star Game is on and we are going tosend two lucky winners away, thanks to Sun parties!

- Sun parties.com is also on board with the MVP of the League again.

-WTFL will be "angelic?", philanthropic? and promote touch football outside the perimeter with it's copy-cat (but in a good way) Millenium tour. You know Intermediate teams (and no none of the Avengers can play) play in these friendly touch football tournaments, so they can win money, and boost rural Manitoba economy.

We are looking at maybe the inaugural "Marty Bender Pre-season" tournament May long weekend. If I can quote othe former prgnosticator of political correctness, so teams can find out where they rank and what division they should enter. Then, because Regina wantsto come to Winnipeg, the famous CANADA DAY weekend, and then we are thinking maybe Winkler/Morden will host the August long weekend, while Portage/Elie will host the inaugural Lionel Bernhard/Brian Crawford tournament on Labour Day.

OK, that's the pre-season January fodder.....do you have any ideas on how to make our league expand and grow, and get better.

Comment Posted by marcus Jan 28, 2007 10:13 PM

You can't split a division into two different types of schedules. If you want div 2 to cross over with 1, then THE ENTIRE DIVISION HAS TO. Otherwise the standings get all screwed up and you're creating a 2A / 2B scenario. It will cause problems. If the teams in div 2 don't want to play div 1 (if that is what is decided) then they can move to div 3.

Hey I'm all for more tournaments, but do you have the volunteers to get it done?

Comment Posted by mbender Jan 29, 2007 04:21 AM

Darrell

The "Marty Bender Pre-season" tournament, I'm fatter, I mean Flattered :)

Maybe if you want to split a division into 2 (like the 1A and 1B) that you had last season you could do the same in div 2 with the Cross overs (Div 2a crosses over with 1B for example) Anyways I know teams enjoyed that preseason tournament in years past.

What is the deal with NO weekend games? Football is played on Sundays, bochi ball can be played during the week.

Lastly, rumours.... I will be playing for team based outside of Winnipeg and the OC, oh and Laping is still Gio's favorite poster boy.

thats it for my rumours.

JJ

Comment Posted by avengers Jan 29, 2007 05:39 AM

Don't worry Marcus, we will reserve a seat in elite for the Outsiders so you can cross over versus the div 2 teams.

Jon

Comment Posted by spider Jan 29, 2007 06:28 AM

Volunteers schmalanteers.

Ya know...really... they only get in the way!!!!!

Asking what to do, where to go, scoffing the free clothing and beverages, eating the free meals, and staying in the free hotels for those weekends. I don't know about too many of the rest of those tournaments, but I think I'll do one, so I can stay at the Westin, with all my buddies who "help" out, get all that free Labatt's stuff, meet the Hooters gals, enjoy the sauna, and enjoy the free beer.

Besides, it's our new rural friends who are going to put on a couple of the events. If I need any workers I'll raise the tournament participants fees and pay the workers. It really is quite simple. Ya know $ 10.00/hr isn't bad.

Marcus, the only place you'll find success before work is in the dictionary. Don't we want to expand our game? I do! and stop this incredulous wining about the divisions and teams.

I mean c'mon it's WTFL Div 2. This ain't Canford!!! Ya know, I'm gonna tell Jon to put us all in one big division. Like I said,back in the day there was just one fricken division!!! I think we should go back to that, and then some of those cherry pickers in Div 2- New Team would soon appreciate the divisions they are in, once they had played the mighty Avengers or Assassins.

And what's the big stink! It's not like elite where the first place team wins it's entry fee back!

Let's just get along and have some fun! No one here is going to the Super Bowl!!!

OK well I am, next year, but...that's another story.

Geezus Marty, be careful what you say!

and while I personally like your take on Football on Sundays, even the crazy Americans know not to start that until September! Summer weekends is for humans to be at the beach!!!

Just because it offers us the best fields and the great weather for Touch Football....bah! Humbug!!! Bring in the elements. Let's slow those fast skinny pukes down with muddy, snowy conditions, and then guys like you and me can SHI-INE.

Our motto this year wil be,"We start in the snow and we'll finish in the snow, because we are the WTFL!"

We are actually geting shirts made up with that saying on it:)

Comment Posted by mbender Jan 29, 2007 06:54 AM

Darrell,

Mike totally knows I am kidding and if he doesn't I am.

sounds like an interesting year shaping up anyways.

Comment Posted by marcus Jan 29, 2007 07:17 AM

Jon, the outsiders won't be playing this year. Reserve all the spots you like though, as long as I'm not paying for them. Even if we were in elite, I wouldn't want to play Div 2 teams anyway.

Making "A and B" sides in a division is stupid. It didn't work out last year, it won't work again. Next thing you guys will want to do is allow players to play in both.

Darrell, I'm all for expansion of the league but it's not the highest priority. I think fields and refs are. If you think you got all that stuff taken care of, and you got enough time to expand the league even more, than all the power to you! I'm just saying don't spread yourselves thin.

Comment Posted by spider Jan 29, 2007 08:33 AM

Marcus,

Oh yeah you be 100% correct! Fields and refs is/are thee # 1 priority. The tourney thing, if it happens will have a life of it's own(rural enthusiasts) And you know me. I can easily organize a weekend event, anywhere. Of course you know I know your point! Just don't want to put 34 hours a day into it! Yes 34!! So those have to be member driven. If they want it they will say./play. If not I am hangin in Osborne Village that day!

No, the Number 1 priority being talked about are the fields. Secondly, how to manage the refs and games/fields together, to get the correct amount of refs at games, is a second, crucial problem we are working on solving!

I wasn't on board when the fit hit the shan last year, and I did not realize that many games, only had two, or one ref. That really is unacceptable!! However, that's a league exec management issue, from my perspective. Whoever is in charge of schedulling, better be aware that you can't schedule 3 fields a night, with all the refs teams playing. And do yourself a favour, also, if one team has a ref on it and is playing, maybe make it available, so he could do the game after.and,....don't schedule a "3 ref" game and then a "2 ref" game together.....lots of things to tinker with, plus some new policy ideas also.

Plus the re-schedulling games like the Assassins and Eagles did, with a total disregard for the procedures, will stop this year. So re-schedulled games will be fewer. There will be a cool idea for the rainouts also. But I don't want to step on any toes here, so, I'll let the other exec members introduce that one, when the time comes.

Those are the # 1 and 2 on the agenda for the exec. And having a new Prez and a few others on board, obviously they/we want to make a Great 1st impression. Hey we met for 5 hours on the last Saturday!!!

I really can't believe there should be a problem with refs and fields. I guess because I have done the schedulling in the past, I knew where to schedule games so as to have the most optimal # of refs available, plus there were less teams when I schedulled two years ago.

From what we have talked about though, I am confident the field/ ref problem will be taken care of.

Now having said that, you all might want to be prepared for some different schedulling times, and maybe locations. However, some really exciting stuff. Really exciting!

Be prepared, we have some new people and some new ideas. Ya know that box you had.....throw it out, 'cause we are thinking way outside the box. So far outside, we are almost in Portage! Crawford land, home of the Provisional Government

Comment Posted by Crawdad Jan 29, 2007 10:48 AM

Burn the box.....its got holes in it and it is no damn good anymore.

Still a lot of work to do before the start of the season and lots of things still need to be worked out. New Team, stadium games, refs, fields, scheduling....and stomping on Ref Abuse. All being looked at.

Marty....what team could that be....not OC and outside of Wpg. LaSalle, Morden....Steinbeck???? Who, what, where???

Comment Posted by marcus Jan 29, 2007 10:56 AM

Wherever it might be, one thing is for certain. The town will have to be big enough to have a McDonald's. Grimace needs his medicine.

:)

Comment Posted by spider Jan 29, 2007 02:09 PM

Look Brian's back!!! Hey Brian, what's up?

Marty...OK, but who is "Gio?"

Comment Posted by mbender Jan 30, 2007 02:13 AM

damn Marcus that was cold :) funny as hell but cold! I should of thrown more passes over the middle for you to get clocked in the fall indoors if i knew you were going to throw shots like that :)

I'm speechless and that doesn't happen often!

Darrell Gio's from what i understand is like the Blue Oyster from the Police Academy movies, I think Marcus was trying to get sponsorship there, It appears he is a regular patron :)

Comment Posted by spider Jan 30, 2007 04:21 AM

Damn! This forum is not only a vehicle for an exchange of ideas, but also educational!

Comment Posted by marcus Jan 30, 2007 07:10 PM

Gotta startup the burns early in the season!

Marty, you would've thought Laping could've hooked up the entire league with sponsorship from there, but it just never happened.

Comment Posted by nomads Jan 30, 2007 08:10 PM

Amazing!!!! I haven't fired up the site in months but it's the same bunch of dopes saying the same dopey things. Without me on this site you might as well shut it down.
Glen

Comment Posted by spider Jan 31, 2007 05:27 AM

Hey I thought G"B"D was censored from the site?

Oh well it just goes to show you that they'll let anyone on the site! Oh yeah, it's not good to discriminate against Senior citizens. geezus Glen, hasn't arthtitis set in on those fingers? I thought It had, judging by the way I saw some of those passes wobbling? :)

Comment Posted by nomads Jan 31, 2007 07:13 PM

Arthtitis only occurs when working with women. 55 is the official age for Sr Cit. to get discounts. I can't wait. Every time I ask for a discount I'm going to have to show ID. Brown locks and all.
Glen

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com