Forums » General » New Rules for 2007.

Messages for New Rules for 2007.

Comment Posted by spider Apr 29, 2007 05:59 PM

Time outs There is no more floating 30 second t.o. It's been changed to a full minute. Useable either half.

The big rule change is the one involving the rusher.

Tagging a Quarterbacks throwing hand/arm when in the act of throwing an overhand pass is now a personal foul on the rusher. Live ball/dead ball application procedure options apply as roughing the passer.

Obviously this is a huge rule change.

Another one that may comeinto play is this one,

On a kick off, when the receiver muffs (fumbles around and accidently kicks the ball or it hits his foot)the kick, it is no longer blown dead. The returner or some one else in an onside position may retrieve the ball and advance it. In previous years this was considered a "dribbled" ball and automatically whistled dead.

Oh and here is another potentially big one for Rushers. Prior to this season, the wording for a rusher lining up, said he had to be "outside" (proximity) of the center's foot. Now the new re-worded rule states the rusher must be one yard outside the center's foot!!

Oh yeah, and there is that one from last year that the WTFL put in, all Players must have the same Jersey color on, in order to play.

Oh yeah this will be a tough one for that really bitchy whinny guy you have on your team. The league has taken on the spirit of the Kyoto Accord and Sustainable Development. That is it will be employing a number of young first year officials, as headlines people. In some cases some of the Headlinesmen /women will be minors (under 18 years old) Therefore, any abuse directed at the officials will be penalized immediately.

So, Shhhh! (I know, Iknow... I hate this one also, because, I liked to swear at the officials also when I played. Even when I reffed, I still used to swear at them!) Now however, any snide comments, or anything deemed derogatory or inappropriate, is supposed to be flagged. (I imagine it will be like the NHL calling hooking.)

There are a couple more that are a little repetitive, and/ or don't occur too often. They and all the other rules can be found in the TFO (Touch Football Ontario)rule book available on line at the TFO site.

http://www.tfont.com/

If you have any questions regarding the rules, feel free to post them, or even e-mail me, and I'll try and get the answer for you. The league also has a lot of real old refs,who also know most of the rules, so you can also seek their guidance after a game when you buy them a beer. The Official WTFL Old Refs are Grant Wuckert, Brad Kelm, Lionel Bernhard, myself (Mazur)and Cliff Kitchen. They have a total of about 125 years of experience officiating football and should be good people to ask.

Good Luck and have Fun. Look for the Boston Pizza Player of the Week, and don't forget to attend the Team rep night May 16, at the new Boston Pizza on Ness and St.James. Free Pizza and beer for the team reps. Starts at 8:00 bells. (Team Reps bring a picture of your team's potential Player of the year)

Comment Posted by sarge Apr 30, 2007 06:07 AM

nice rule change about the muffed kick returns. that was annoying that someone juggling the ball gets a "reward" for dropping it (ie not losing posession). this will probably pose more of a challenge for those who take the ball in the air more.

good call!

Comment Posted by Byatch Apr 30, 2007 06:37 AM

By reading Darrell's post, I don't think he meant the kicking team can recover muffed punts or kicks. A receiving team player that is onside can recover.

Am I right here Darrell?

Thurston

Comment Posted by Avengerman Apr 30, 2007 07:02 AM

As to the rule regarding the rusher taging the QB's throwing hand.
I believe the rule we agreed on at the AGM was that the rusher was able to touch the QB's hand-arm as long as it was not a chopping motion. If they kept the arm extended upward, the penalty was not going to be called.

Damian

Comment Posted by sarge Apr 30, 2007 07:11 AM

Oh maybe you're right and I may have misread it. Can a member of the kicking team recover the kickoff if it is muffed by the returner?

Comment Posted by dubblezeero Apr 30, 2007 07:32 AM

On a muffed KO or Punt reception, the ball is live to both teams (free ball) only before it hits the ground, once it hits the ground it is only live to the receiving team (loose ball). Additionally, all are subject to any dead ball conditions ie. a muffed punt in a forward direction is dead when it hits the ground.

Comment Posted by Byatch Apr 30, 2007 10:31 AM

Of course. Like a lateral.

But like you said, the kicking team cannot recover a fumbled ball that has hit the ground.

Comment Posted by spider Apr 30, 2007 08:06 PM

Right. Sorry If that was illwritten

No Damien. I believe that you will be called for any attempt at touching a QB's throwing arm/hand during any part of the passing /release point.

The idea is DO NOT TAG HIGH!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com