Forums » General » field locations

Messages for field locations

Comment Posted by Fingers Jun 09, 2008 04:00 PM

For what it's worth, my opinion is that the league should arrange fields that are more centrally located. With the price of gas what it is, playing games at Optimist and Maple Grove or Christine Lesperance is just too far to drive. It's fine for guys that live in St. James or south St. Vital, but it's pretty expensive for the rest of us. There must be other options that are closer to the city's core area.

Comment Posted by spider Jun 09, 2008 04:39 PM

None

Comment Posted by duhard Jun 09, 2008 05:54 PM

If you can find fields that are suitable for playing football on and are available to the league, let us know. We do our best with what's available.

I live downtown so everywhere is far for me, it's just the way it is. My volleyball league plays only in Transcona, it sucks but that's what I accept when i join a league. The league did it's best this year to spread it out as much as we could, but it's surprisingly hard to find fields the proper size that are available to us. If the north end and the east suits you, that's where the other league plays. We're always willing to pursue a field if you let us know at the beginning of the season...

Comment Posted by Byatch Jun 09, 2008 07:11 PM

There is no area of the city we can call Central, that has fields. I have no interest playing ball at Vimy Park.

Just so happens that the majority of the best fields for the league are in the South this year.

No matter what fields we use, it's going to be inconvenient to somebody.Last year it was us Southerners that were inconvenienced and this year it's the North.

Ever tried to get to Little Mountain for a 6:00 game when you live in St. Vital?

Comment Posted by spider Jun 10, 2008 04:25 AM

Central fields in use are Tec Voc, Minto and Rods.

How much more central can that be?

Comment Posted by Fingers Jun 10, 2008 06:50 AM

Our team plays 4 games at Tech Voc and the rest are at Maple Grove and Optimist. Rods is not exactly "central" but it would be a definite improvement over the west or south perimeter. Tech Voc is a good location, and it would be great if a few more fields in similar locations were available. It would make sense to investigate possibilities like Simkin, Elmwood, or Windsor Park. If these fields aren't available, fair enough.

Comment Posted by Jyuen Jun 10, 2008 07:07 AM

There's also a pretty large field by Red River Community Center, looks like a decent field. Frank White, think the Nomads use this field. The fields at Sisler High school.

Comment Posted by spider Jun 10, 2008 08:43 AM

I asked Nomads about Sisler and Frank Whyte and old Hawkeyes and was told it wasn't available. I asked about this way back in February/March.

Simkin and Windsor Park are rented to Ultimate. Elmwood is in possesion of Elmwood football team. River East was deemed not suitable by a past president.

Tev Voc, Minto, Rods and Wpg Stadium are far more central than Simkin, don't you think?

Comment Posted by duhard Jun 10, 2008 11:39 AM

simkin, windsor park and river east are all used by the UTFL. and none of them are central.

Comment Posted by Fingers Jun 10, 2008 12:56 PM

Wow, you guys are really defensive about this, aren't you? You'll notice from my original post that I said "more centrally located." Almost any field in the city would be "more centrally located" than a field within stone's throw of the perimeter, and our team plays eight out of 12 games at fields that fit that description: Optimist and Maple Grove. By "central" I did not mean Portage and Main, I simply meant closer to the core so that whether you live in St. James, St. Vital, West Kildonan, or wherever, you shouldn't have to drive for 45 minutes to get to all of your games. Obviously, sometimes you will have to, and I'm sure we all accept that. But if we can improve on the situation, let's try to do it. If you say that the fields we've mentioned are not available this year, fine, I accept that. See what can be done next year. But as for Elmwood, that field is empty more than it is in use, so I would think that something could be arranged.

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Jun 10, 2008 01:33 PM

If we can just get the fields lined, that'd be a start.

Comment Posted by scott Jun 10, 2008 01:44 PM

Brant Cook and Jon Franklin are working the fields Wed, but more rain is expected.

Comment Posted by spider Jun 10, 2008 03:07 PM

Elmwood is a lousy field, and it is reserved (saved) for their football team. That comes from the City of Winnipeg and their coach Rob Bell. We have fields in every corner of the city. Where exactly would you like to play? We are not defensive, we are just answering your question.

Comment Posted by cwentz Jun 10, 2008 03:46 PM

Just curious, and a little off topic, but would it be a posiblilty for next year if teams could pick a home field (that the league uses) and plays half there games there? Im not sure if that would be a scedual nightmare. But just an idea, cause then u could play at least half your games close to home.

Chris

Comment Posted by mel Jun 10, 2008 03:48 PM

Has anyone ever checked if Grant Park was available for WTFL games? That would be an excellent location. Only 10 minutes from downtown. Acres of fields there with not much happening on those grounds during the summer.

Comment Posted by spider Jun 10, 2008 04:04 PM

Good idea Chris. Go for it.

Comment Posted by nomads Jun 10, 2008 06:56 PM

What a bunch of dopes. Just show up at the field and play. Spend less at the bar or for your suck in Tim Hortons coffee and you will have enough money to pay for gas. If you can't do that apply for welfare.
Glen

Comment Posted by Byatch Jun 11, 2008 10:17 AM

I see Glen has gotten his red Rubbermaid cooler back.

Comment Posted by nomads Jun 12, 2008 06:32 AM

MMMMBeer
Glen

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com