Forums » General » Origins of unique WTFL team nicknames ?

Messages for Origins of unique WTFL team nicknames ?

Comment Posted by mel Jun 21, 2008 01:38 PM

Some rather interesting team names in the WTFL this year. It would be interesting to find out what rationale was used in picking some of these creative names. Our team name Maniax was taken from the now defunct XFL team the Memphis Maniax. What about interesting names like the Aints, Colostomy Bags, White Russians,Dangle Berries,Woodys, Morningwood,Pirhanas, etc. How did these and other interesting team names come about ? Must be some very good stories behind some of these names.

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Jun 21, 2008 01:50 PM

For some of them I'm assuming beer was involved.

Comment Posted by Gus Jun 22, 2008 07:17 AM

Our team captain is a Saints superfan, add in a little self-effacing humor and you have The 'Aints.

Comment Posted by cobras63 Jun 22, 2008 07:29 AM

And for others, double entendres appear to be the inspiration.

Comment Posted by mel Jun 22, 2008 08:21 AM

For those of you that might be wondering, a double entendre is a figure of speech similar to the pun, in which a spoken phrase can be understood in either of two ways. This can be as simple as a phrase which has two mutually exclusive meanings, and is thus a clever play on words.

Comment Posted by spider Jun 22, 2008 09:05 AM

Can you provide 3 examples, one of which must be from a James Bond movie, or more recently, Austin Powers.

Comment Posted by mel Jun 22, 2008 09:56 AM

You got me stumped.Okay Darrell since you are the teacher please be so kind as to provide us with some examples of double entendres. Examples from Austin Powers or Get Smart will do.

Comment Posted by spider Jun 22, 2008 11:27 AM

Hmmm, I stumped the West End Wiz??? I better dig into this, and get to the root of this problem!! :)(heh! heh!,,couldn't resist)

OK how's this for straight forward,

"Ms. Lotta Vagina," and "Pussy Galore".... not sure if that's Powers or Bond, with the obvious reference to two hot Babes...There are a ton from early Bond flicks, however, I am at a loss, at this time, to recall them.

Second, there's the scene from the first Austin Powers movie where he and the girl,are escaping from the shark tank and they trick the guard into falling into the water,and he rattles off about 5 double entendres, something like, "He had a nice trip." and "He was falling for you."

Third...
Mel's movie ( no pun intended :)) Ok it is....Young Frankenstien...(that would actually be Mel Brooks...)

The servent Igor, played by Marty Feldman, who has one eye that doesn't look at you. Upon introduction, he says his name is "Eye- Gor".... That's more of a sight gag (again ..this time pun intended)

The scene where Igor picks up Frankenstien, from the train station upon his arrival in Transylvannia, and they are riding back in the carriage and there is a howl by a wolf, and The DR's assistant Tery Garr? says, "ooooh Wearwolf" and the driver Marty Feldman replies, "ah, There wolf..." (one of my favourite lines)

Same movie as they arrive at the Mansion, and knock at the door, and Frankenstein remarks that the doorknockers are huge, by stating,"What Knockers!!" and Terry Garr replies, "OOOh sank you Dr."

Same movie, later in the story when Frankenstein's fiancee arrives from the USA, and Frankenstein tells Igor to "get the bags," and Igor replies, " OK, you get the blond and I'll take the brunette." The entire movie is almost made up of double entendre skits.

and next to last, I think this old joke would apply,

Mel, I heard you used to play for the Clifton Cougars, as a lineman. I heard you played Guard, End and Tackle. You'd guard the water, sit at the end of the bench and tackle anyone that came near it.

Finally, I also have two very funny ones refering to Touch Football that just happened, unplanned, off the cusp. One was during our old television show "The WCTFL TV Game of the Week," shown bi-weekly on SHAW. We were doing play by Play, and the color commentator made the remark.....No, I can't say it. It is on tape though!! The second one involves positional terminlogy slang during a woman's game and......No I can't.... they are somewhat questionable, for public consumption.(like the above ones are) and again a cliche that uses an ethic slang.

I'll save those for the Year end Awards windup Dinner. To get more info more on the Year end Awards Presentation wind up Dinner and or Dance contact Nicole.

Comment Posted by mel Jun 22, 2008 12:16 PM

Wow that was a remarkable posting Darrell. You have quite the uncanny memory. On the topic of the Assassins, who founded the Assassins and who is the person that came up with the team name ? Congratulations to the Assassins for being together as a team for 30 years.Seeing that most teams disband after 2 or 3 years, thats an amazing accomplishment. Are there any longer lasting teams than the Assassins, playing touch football in Canada ?

Comment Posted by spider Jun 22, 2008 01:15 PM

That's a good question? I doubt it. Certainly not at the top level. Plus it's kinda cool that they have been the # 1 team for all but 8 - 10 of those years.Even more so, if they weren't the # 1 team they were probaly # 2 for the majority of the other years.

Of course, Tim Shea started the team at the U of W, intramural dept., I do believe.

Comment Posted by mel Jun 22, 2008 01:38 PM

Somebody should start a Canadian Touch Football Hall of Fame with Tim Shea being the first person inducted and the Assassins being the first team inducted for their accomplishments. Wouldn't Winnipeg be the perfect location for this Hall of Fame. Say Darrell I hear you used to be quite the player in your day. Maybe you should be in the Hall of Fame as well ?

Comment Posted by spider Jun 22, 2008 05:25 PM

Mel, if you want "Hall of Fame," or should I say "In-fame," check out the Assassins Roast/Dinner/get together, July 5th, at the Blue and Gold Room. For more info on the weekend, check out the website: assassinsfootball.com. There are stories I haven't heard yet. They can involve bridges lampshades, stairwells, hills, cleats,pianos and planters, plus umpteen more.

The Assassins may have been good, but other Winnipeg teams made them that way. The Combines, Ratz and Eagles, and now current teams like the Sunparties and Avengers, all caused the Black and Gold to have to raise their game.

Like I said, while it's billed as an Assassins Re-Union, it does have relation to the History of the League. Momentoes from the early 70's, up to current business, will be on hand, when the Winnipeg league was first started by ex Bomber stars, Don Jonas, Paul Markle, and Bob Larose.

Comment Posted by spider Jun 22, 2008 05:30 PM

Team Names:

OK from the past, my two original teams the Bison Alumni - da, pretty obvious on that one, then my second team "Santa Fe Express." - Again simple - sitting around the Grant Park field, after a pre-season practice, trying to decide on a team name. Of course back then in the early 80's you could see the train tracks across Grant Avenue. Of course what did the Box car say? Santa Fe. So,a non-stop train is was called an express. Hence Santa fe express. We finished 3rd or 4th in the Elite div that year.

Any other team names of interesting origin?

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com