Forums » General » Trivia question for July 16,2008

Messages for Trivia question for July 16,2008

Comment Posted by spider Jul 16, 2008 06:41 AM

2.) Who started organized touch football in Winnipeg, and name at least one of the semi-pro teams he played for.

Comment Posted by maniac08 Jul 16, 2008 06:48 AM

Don Jonas

Harrisburg Capitols of the Atlantic Coast Football League

Newark Bears of the Continental Football League

Comment Posted by spider Jul 16, 2008 07:03 AM

Maniac 08, you are correct.

Don Jonas,while evidently still a member of the Big Blue started touch football in Winnipeg in 1972.

Previously his college career saw him play QB, with another all time great CFL QB., Peter Liske, at Penn state? He went on to star in the semi-pro leagues across the states and one of the first semi-pro league teams he played for was the Harrisburg Capitols. The Newark Bears and the Orlando Panthers were two other teams.

Apparently, the Denver Broncos signed him, as a 30 year old rookie, but that did not work out and he came to Canada with the Toronto Argonauts, where he starred. Later traded to Winnipeg, he brought the franchise back from the dead, and played outstanding football,as a star QB,and place kicker.

Evidently,he somehow managed to get touch football and a league started back in 1972.
Congratulations to today's winner!

So we are tied in the standings. Rob Chaput 1, Maniac 08-1 rest of league -0

We should really get a daily prize, ....Hmm, is there one of our lovely league members interested in becomming a sponsor of this daily contest?

Stay tuned for Question 3. Only 23 hours till post time.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 16, 2008 07:14 AM

Last school year I asked my students to do a Video History project for their World Issues course entitled , "Who's Next?" It was to be about who the next threat to Us in the Western World could be. One of the pairs of stuidents took an approach of rattling off facts, with one student asking the question, "Didja Know" and the other would either respond or not.

Out of all the projects, the "didja know" portion stuck with me.
So, because, today's answer was so quick. (7 minutes until the correct answer was found), I thought I'd add a couple of other trivial facts. and......I'll call it, "Didja know..."

Didja know some of the early playing sites of the league were:

Northwood CC
Sisler HS field
Sir John Franklin Field

"Did ja know" of some of the others?

Comment Posted by jeff_h Jul 16, 2008 02:37 PM

I remember watching games at Old Ex...probably wasnt one of the original sites but it sure was a long time ago

Comment Posted by spider Jul 16, 2008 06:50 PM

and I have pictures to prove it!

Hey Jeff, I just got some old "WTFL TV game of the Week," transferred to disc. Do ya remember where we played some of those? You are in another picture of the Big Black and GOld winning yet another Championship. 'member where one was played? (Your old HS, I think??)

Wayne is that right?

Wayne, what's the exact score?

Comment Posted by jeff_h Jul 17, 2008 12:26 PM

those would be cool to watch...yeah, I remember watching games there too..at the field right beside Vincent Massey Collegiate (home of the Trojans!)...headbands must have been in style back in those days (everbody wore one right?)..and does Bernie still walk around on his hands before games as a warm up?

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com