Forums » General » July 17 Trivia Question

Messages for July 17 Trivia Question

Comment Posted by spider Jul 17, 2008 06:17 AM

Question # 3

You want to be able to look them up huh??? OK!

In a game last night, the Offense scrimmaged 1st and 10 on their 40 yard line. On the play the WR jumped offside, and the QB threw to the WR on an out. The inside reciever ran a crossing pattern,but was held by the DB.

The refs threw two flags. One for the WR offside and the other for remote area pass interference, on the DB.

How are the penalties applied and what will be the next line of scrimmage and down and distance?

Ready, set, go!

Comment Posted by ziggy75 Jul 17, 2008 06:21 AM

what is this a trick question?...2 live ball fouls.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 17, 2008 06:36 AM

OK, Ziggy...c'mon Ya think I know the answer? I ain't given away any more clues. The prize at the end of the season for the trivia winner is huge, (I mean get a suitcase ready)! and hey don't they train you UTFL refs on this stuff?

I ain't sayin a word, and hey....maybe one or both could or could not be live ball fouls, but then again.....

Ah the fun begins....

Comment Posted by maniac08 Jul 17, 2008 06:43 AM

off setting peanlities....replay first down

Comment Posted by spider Jul 17, 2008 06:57 AM

What the hell is a peanlities???? Are you talking dirty Mel?

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Jul 17, 2008 07:20 AM

Offsetting live ball fouls. Neither of these can be applied as dead ball fouls. Replay 1st down and 10 on the offense 40 yard line.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 17, 2008 08:12 AM

Awwwl riiiiggghhtttt The first complete answer, and a record 1 hour ands ome minutes. The trival master is on a role.

However,

You are correct JARULE. In the illustrious game of touch Football, two live balls assuming they will both be taken by their respective captains (which you failed to mention),would wash each other out, and the down would be replayed from the previouis line of scrimmage.

OK so what's that make it

Rob Cahput 1 Maniac 08 1 and Jarule 1

Yo, Jarule, I have been thinking (someone call the Free Press!!) Could you set up a Trivia division.

Heres what ya do...??? (You being the Webmaster, Master....???)

Under Divisions create Trivia Division.
Then as correct guessers are done we enter them. Or if anyone wants to play they can sign up. Obviously not concerned with wrong answers so under losses we wouldn't tabulate. I don't want to say those answers were incorrect. They were "successive approximations"(Prevents trivia trauma)

Ja Rule can we do it, or would that screw up the entire workings of the Free world?

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Jul 17, 2008 08:20 AM

I've got better ideas in the works for trivia questions, polls and quizzes.

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Jul 17, 2008 09:01 AM

Not to jump on Spider's trivia questions, but I'm going to add a double live ball foul question. There is no prize for the right answer except the satisfaction that you're right.

Offense scrimmaging from the opponent's 20 yard line with 5 seconds left in the game. They are down by 1 point. Offense attempts to punt into the opponents endzone but in doing so they commit no-yards but do not make a tag on the returner. The returner punts the ball back out of the endzone and then his team commits no-yards on the return punt. The player is tagged and and the play stops.

What's the penalty application? There are 2 live ball no-yards flags thrown....will they cancel out? Will they not? Stay tuned!

Comment Posted by ziggy75 Jul 17, 2008 09:51 AM

no kidding i knew the answer....that's why i said it was a trick question...sooo 4 minutes would be correct. i suppose i should have typed out the answer,rather than pave the road to the answer.marc wouldn't the first no yards call be applied...and if accepted then the second no yards is not an issue.besides if you cant punt a ball through the end zone from 20 yards out....time for a new punter...lol.

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Jul 17, 2008 10:12 AM

Correct, since there is a change of possession between the penalties. And correct on the lame punter :)

Your turn Ziggy to come up with a lame reffing trivia question :)

Comment Posted by Polish Prince Jul 17, 2008 12:40 PM

if that offside rule is the way it is with one team being called offside and then pass interference happens then that needs to be changed. if its an offensive offside the play should be blown dead immediately (just like in all other football leagues). only in the case of defensive offside should the play be be allowed to continue because the defensive player has a chance to tag up to avoid the offside call. offensive player does not have that chance once the ball is snapped.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 17, 2008 01:22 PM

Thanks for your opinion. Now go out and get a sack.

Comment Posted by rob_chaput Jul 17, 2008 04:36 PM

Unless I am misunderstanding your description of the offside rule: I don't know about other touch leagues, but in "all the other football leagues" that I watch (the CFL, CIS, NCAA and NFL), the play is not blown dead when a receiver jumps offside. You see it a lot more in the Canadian game due to the receivers being allowed to take a running start, but it does happen down south as well. I personally remember a big Blue Bomber play last year (not sure if it was a TD or not) being called back due to the great Milt Stegall crossing the line of scrimmage before the snap. The rule gives the D a chance to play extra aggressively and try and get a pick without needing to worry about getting burnt for a TD.

Comment Posted by Polish Prince Jul 17, 2008 06:21 PM

its always blown dead in the nfl and college. and lets be serious, the cfl doesnt isnt a real league. 8 teams comon, and the talent is still watered down. all i was saying is if the rusher has a chance to touch up and get back onside the receivers should be given a chance to do that too. OR if a receiver is offside then he should be ruled ineligible just like if he were to run out of bounds. im all about giving the defense advantages but it has to have some other reasons besides letting the defense play more aggressively.

PS i had to throw in a shot at the CFL because the league plays 18 games only two teams miss the playoffs. an 18 game season has to mean a lot more than just home field advantage.

PPS i did get a sack. did you make the call?.. lol

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Jul 17, 2008 06:23 PM

You're thinking of procedure, not offside.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 17, 2008 06:51 PM

Receivers in Touch are allowed to get back onside, as is the rusher. So, what are you trying to say. No, wait never mind, I don't want to know.

Now Marcus.....this is a trivia thread, and look what you have done. You've got a guy who has played two years in the league, trying to change the rules. Riiiggghhhtt!

11 hours and 15 minutes to go, till Question Number 4...

Who is the woman...(aaaggghh I have to wait)

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com