Forums » General » July 29, 2008, Trivia Question # 15

Messages for July 29, 2008, Trivia Question # 15

Comment Posted by spider Jul 29, 2008 06:16 AM

He was the only one, the host of Kinsmen Bingo on CKY, Saturday afternooons in the late 80's, AND he also was President of the WCTFL. Who was he???

Comment Posted by mbender Jul 29, 2008 06:28 AM

Barry Wall

Comment Posted by spider Jul 29, 2008 08:26 AM

The Jumbo Rumbler, a.k.a. Burnt by Bender, is once again correct, and now moves into a tie in the standings. JaRule and Burnt By are tied with 2 wins each.

How did you know that Mr.Burnt by? You must have been 13 years old?

None the less the "voice like Joyse" smooth talking Barry Wall was indeed the Pres in 1988? He remodelled the Touch Player cards, wrote a column in a local amateur sport magazine, and was the Saturday afternoon host of Kinsmen Bingo. Mr.Wall went on to work with the Bombers also.

The Walls played for the Steelers and Rods, where Barry Wall also presided. Today Barry is still working in Radio in British Columbia.

Congratulations Marty!

Comment Posted by mbender Jul 29, 2008 09:12 AM

Mr. Wall and I have a very interesting history.

It is a rather amusing story actually. My very first game as a "starting" WTFL touch football quarterback just so happens to be the very first game that Barry was benched as a QB in favor of me. My tackle football days had just ended and this was actually my second dealing with Mr. Wall (Barry didn't know this but I was the starting QB for the St. James Midget team and he bragged to us on the practice field how "good" he was whenever he would show up to the Rods field. I wore a visor in my tackle days so he had no idea who I was) anyways a former teammate asked me to throw for his Div 4 Sundevil team too which Barry Wall was the current Quarterback. I was asked to throw because the year before they finished in last place and Barry's arm strength had started to drop off significantly since his days with the "B52's" if memory serves me. Let's just say he didn't take kindly to being replaced by a 19 year old "kid" especially finding out 10 minutes before the very first game of the new season.

By half time Barry blew a gasket on the sidelines because he wasn't involved very much in the offense, Being a north end kid I was raised to respect my elders so I tried to remain calm and not bust his jaw :) so I just explain to him that It wasn't my decision to replace him and I am sorry that he was mad. Mr. Wall continued to freak out and belittle me and the guy who ran the team in front of everyone and then had the nerve to want to shake my hand to say no hard feelings when he was done. My Grandma played kinsmen bingo so I remember seeing his cheezy Tom Selleck moustache so I took his handshake and then I made a sly comment to him - "Mr. Wall I truly didn't mean to offend you, just meeting you is a huge honor." Of course Mr. Wall's ego got the better of him and he said "you've obviously seen me on TV?" I said yeah all the time, aren't you the guy with the big red afro hair and big red clown feet that takes orders at the drive thru window? - Barry swore up and down at me and had to be restrained. Two games later he quit and played with the Hurricanes. During our initial match up Rob Vickel a former teammate of mine intercepted Barry 6 times in a Sundevil win. I heard that he was a super good guy and from talking to others it seems that I caught him on a bad day because lots of people liked him. All I know is that I still remember seeing Barry sporting those gold Wpg Blue Bomber practice pants ever so proudly so I don't know what to think.

So what exactly is the "Grand" prize in this WTFL Trivia?

Marty B
Spartans/Legends QB

Comment Posted by spider Jul 29, 2008 11:52 AM

Cool Story...now that you mention those pants....aghh!

Grand prize..... Sand, Surf, Sun and S.. courtesy Sun Parties.com. Get yo Mexican/English dictionary and bathing suit ready...

I 'm also workin on a daily prize, covering the entire contest. Of course if you win too many daily contests, the bathing suit option might not be pretty.....but, an announcement should be forthcoming in mere(how do you spell mear?) days.

Stay tuned and keep playing!!

Congrats!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com