Forums » General » Rosters

Messages for Rosters

Comment Posted by jeade Jul 30, 2008 03:11 PM

I'm new to the league and just wondering how it is that players can be allowed to join a team 3/4 of the way through the regular season. Seriously people, this isn't pro sports. there are no contracts to negotiate or trades to make. Maybe the WTFL exec need to take a look at how every other team sport registers teams. Teams must be registered before the second or third game is palyed, if you're not on the roster and all signed up and paid up, too bad. And whats with higher division players coming down divisions, who thought that one up? If you play in the nhl do you think someone might have an objection to you playing against them in the sunday night beer league?

Just a thought is all, just a thought.

Joe
{thats for you Glen)

Comment Posted by Grizzled Old Vet Jul 30, 2008 03:54 PM

Hmm, Div 6, 8 games played and 0 stats. What are you whining about again???

Comment Posted by ArthurG#12 Jul 30, 2008 04:04 PM

the rule is before the 15th of aug is it not???
or if they play high div they half to make half the games and ref, right??
the only 1 in question is our rusher who refs, so the problem is....
myself i joined the team because they were close to folding and i didnt wanna see that happen to a good bunch of guys, im far from a high division QB so it cant be me lol. and the other find also doesn't have a team in the wtfl this season, so if this is just some venting cause a 10-3 team lost to 1-11 nerf then it is what it is.

great game otherwise gentlemen

Arthur Garand

Comment Posted by avengers Jul 30, 2008 04:19 PM

That would be pretty wicked to play against an NHLer in a Sunday night beer league, as it is alot of fun to beat up on the occassional CFLer who plays in the W.

Jon

Comment Posted by spider Jul 30, 2008 04:24 PM

Hey Joe,

The WTFL allows you to pick up guys until the last day of the year. So does the CFl and NHL if the guy doesn't have a pro contract....

See we're just like the CFL and NFL. Only we pay the league to pay, they don't pay us.

Thanks for the comment. Where are you from?

Comment Posted by jeade Jul 30, 2008 04:44 PM

It's not that we lost, our offence didn't do well and i won't deny that one bit. Nerf played a good game. the point is in most leagues there is a limit to how many divisions a player is allowed to play down(usually 2). If players can play within any division at any time, then what really is the point of having divisions? Why not just have one big league where the guys who are there more for fun then a competative game get stomped on constantly, I mean that sounds reasonable to me.

And for the record we also have a guy who's playing on a third division team who should not be playing in the sixth division either. I'm just putting it out there, maybe something to think about.

Comment Posted by mel Jul 30, 2008 04:46 PM

Amazing what a difference proven quarterbacks can have on a team's fortunes. First Marc joins the Woodys and ignites a fire under them, and now Arthur has led Nerf from the brink of collapse to a 2 game winning streak. I think allowing players to join in mid stream is good for the league. If rosters had to be declared by week 3 many teams would fold due injuries, players on vacation etc. Teams that are not competitive in their respective divisions can strengthen their rosters throughout the season and have an excellent chance in the playoffs. Good for Nerf for adding Arthur to their roster. An excellent move to make their team more competitive.

Comment Posted by jeade Jul 30, 2008 04:46 PM

And for the record we also have a guy who's playing on a third division team who should not be playing in the sixth division either. I'm just putting it out there, maybe something to think about.

Comment Posted by jeade Jul 30, 2008 04:48 PM

sorry guys comp went wonky for a second there

Comment Posted by ArthurG#12 Jul 30, 2008 04:58 PM

Thanks Mel, you have always been a class act,

but as for the constant poundings in question, i encourage any player to look at what nerf went thru the first 11 games of the season, and did so with their heads held up.
I mean over 400 pts against and 6 for with a default, if that doesn't make a captain stressed out then what does?i agree a div 2 QB shouldnt play lower than 2 divs but whats stopping the player to try a new position with some friends. or to just help some new players learn the game from them. Its players who do so who really improve the skill and level at which the game will be played for the future i think,

just some more thoughts

Arthur Garand

Comment Posted by DeLorean Jul 30, 2008 04:59 PM

I'm the only person on 2 teams in wtfl on Nerf, and I was picked up in the same weekf or both teams, and those are my only two teams... only reason Im playing is because I ref and both teams were looking for a extra guy, I didn't even know what divisions I was playing for when I signed up, I just signed up, I coulda been playing elite for all I knew, I just said yes because I wanted to play, this is my second year playing football man, so don't think Im some ringer coming from the CFL, as for the other mid season pick ups, they aren't even on other teams lol

Comment Posted by jeade Jul 30, 2008 05:17 PM

I think everyone's thinking too specific to this game, as i said nerf deserved the win, i just thought going into the future the execs might want to look at limiting how many divisions down players can play. Might make each division over all more competative.

and good on nerf for turning around there season, games that are close are more fun to play then blowouts(even if you're winning).

Comment Posted by DeLorean Jul 30, 2008 05:28 PM

there is that rule I believe lol

Comment Posted by nomads Jul 30, 2008 06:56 PM

Joe: I really don't think the players that play different divisions play because they want an advantage. They play because they like touch football period. If a team picks up a player mid season it usually is because they need a player or they are a friend of someone on the team.
Glen

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Jul 30, 2008 07:35 PM

I think the league should remove the multiple player rule even though I abuse it every year.

Comment Posted by Byatch Jul 31, 2008 12:16 AM

Glen ,

that is the most intelligent thing you've said this year. I totally agree.

Comment Posted by jeade Jul 31, 2008 02:51 AM

the point is if say a division one team had a bad season, the team wouldn't be sent to the fifth division for the obvious reason that it would be unfair for the other teams in that division to compete against them, so why is expected that players in lower divisions should have to compete against guys from way higher divisions.

And in all fairness, a lot of guys care more about their individual stats then team stats. Just keep your ears open next time you're anywhere near a field.

Comment Posted by Jyuen Jul 31, 2008 05:09 AM

I think everyone cares about their own stats but I venture to say that a larger portion of those will care more about the teams' overall status more than their own glory.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 31, 2008 06:39 AM

Holy smack talk!

Israel and Palestine about to sign a Peace Treaty.
Cheech and Chong reconcilling and going back on tour .....
and now Glen and Byatch complimenting each other???

This has the magnitude of Hogan and Macho man breaking up and getting back together again!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com