Forums » General » WESTWOOD : ON THE MONEY OR SOUR GRAPES?

Messages for WESTWOOD : ON THE MONEY OR SOUR GRAPES?

Comment Posted by andy21 Aug 14, 2008 03:45 AM

I'd imagine many of us read Troy's column in the Sun last weekend. He stated that the locker room has lost respect for Doug Berry and don't want to play for him. With 11 points in each of the last 2 games one wonders if Troy is right. Despite a good start Alexis Serna seems to getting worse with each game. He is dead last in punting and field goal percentage. Setta in Hamilton is averaging a full 8 yards more per punt than Serna and 4 kickers are averaging over 80% on their field goals. Three of them are at 90%. Serna is below 64%.

While I'm not a big Westwood supporter he was popular with the other players and perhaps Berry's treatment of Westwood has left the players with a sour taste for Doug Berry.

So is Westwood right or is he just a whiner?

Comment Posted by Nolby Aug 14, 2008 04:53 AM

I think its a case of both.I can assure you that he is still bitter about being let go by the team after being with them for 17 years but then again I think his bitterness is just a little over the edge as I don't believe the players have lost respect for him they just aren't playing up to par this year.Does this mean that when any team starts off with a terrible record their players lose respect for their coach?No,how bout Hamilton last year with their 3-15 record,the coach is still there and Hamilton seems to be playing much better ball then their record shows.

Comment Posted by spider Aug 14, 2008 06:13 AM

The Bombers problems have little to do with Westwood or Serna.

Obviously neither are the best at their position.

Westwood to his credit, did come back last year when put under the most enormous pressure possible. This year he was cut because of a personality problem between player and coach. His inconsistency at the position would have done him in eventually. I suspect that's what Berry decided. Rather make it "sooner than later."

However, the stupidity of that was that they had no one else any better.

Serna, has great stats in US college. However, if he was so great why didn't they bring him in before camp. He is clearly the "make ther best of aa bad situation" situation. Berry tried to propagandize his potential, but as you indicated the poor kid's stats are not very good.

For those of us that have played on a footall team, we know there are the untangiles that go into making a team. Maybe call it the"Rudy" factor. Some teams have a guy, that takes all the shit, gets dumped on, doesn't play much but has a spirit that says "don't let it get cha down" Other players see that,and it makes the team flow. Was Westwood one of those guys? Maybe? Was it someone else?

Secondly, the loss of Hebert on Defence really hurt the team's ability to take things away. Essentially they were playing with 11 guys.(no safety)

As you can see by today's line up they have moved Malveaux back to safety. This should prove to be a good adjustment vs. a rookie QB, with a real football player at safety. (Sorry the Canadian kids were rarely near a ball to knock it down.)

(Last year they won with defence...Glenn stunk the second half the year.)

Offensively, Glenn appears to have lost any hope of mobility. He can't even run plays from behind center, as his legs appear to be that bad?? Every other team has a QB that has some "escapeability" Glen appears to have lost any ablity to elude the slightest bit of pressure. That combined with the worst O line in the league, gives little hope to any offensive production.

That's it plain and simple.

Darren Yewchyn's Hotdogs are now for sale under the Eastside stands, and that certainly makes for an enjoyable experience, as does having Hooters wings with whatever friends you want to send over( table "Mazur # 83)

Not to worry,Tonite,Glenn will shine, with the the D picking off "sidearm sam " 4 times. Armstead will have a big return(although, I still prefer the other cut guy Stokes)Was heour "Rudy"? The team sure perked up when he came along.

Anyone else have a "theory"

Comment Posted by Mark Aug 14, 2008 06:34 AM

There's a few problems I've seen this year.

1) The offensive play-calling has been bad and unimaginative. The game we actually won against Calgary was the best called game of the year. Somehow we're *still* not giving the ball to Roberts even against both Toronto (who has the worst run defense) and Montreal (where Roberts had a 6.5/carry average but only 11 runs). I'm not sure what is so hard to figure out. Even before this season I've said I want to see the O-Coordinator go I don't think he is that good.

2) The players including big names are just making dumb mistakes. You can take a few of those but when they happen at critical times it just kills you.

3) Special teams are still a joke, and were a joke last year, improving somewhat in the last half of the season. But that's one decent half in now one and a half seasons and a lot of the problems (carrying the ball out at bad times) to me comes down to coaching. I've wanted to fire the special teams coach even longer then the O coach.

4) Berry has to make decisions sooner and play to win. He waits too long to make changes during a game and as demonstrated this year during the season. We're 1-6 and while not impossible to climb out of how many weeks do we want to hear "nothing major is changing" while the losses pile up. Something is broken so please fix it. Also at critical times in the game he always chooses the "safe" choice or seems to not be going for the jugular or at least trying to make the big play to get back in the game. You watch someone like Don Matthews coach and his foot was to the floor the whole time.

So I guess I do have a couple theories.

Comment Posted by Jyuen Aug 14, 2008 06:28 PM

I think Troy over exaggerated the locker-room state but I'm sure there are at least some that may feel that way. Regardless of which, the Bombers should not have gone to the lengths of banning him from the media booth, a place where he has the right to be as a member of the press. That goes to show that some of his words ring true. otherwise why would they have such a reaction.

Troy may not be as good as he has been in years past but definitely he should be the kicker for this team. Even in his lacklustre state, he's still a better kicker than Serna and he was valuable as a veteran leader on the sidelines. To me that still makes him a valuable guy to have around but the Bomber brass obviously think otherwise.

Comment Posted by dubblezeero Aug 15, 2008 11:44 AM

It's 4:43 on Friday and Serna hasn't been cut yet, what the hell is going on? Yeah we need an american roster spot taken up by some less than .500 kicker...Trevor Bell suit up!!

Comment Posted by Shadrack Aug 21, 2008 07:40 AM

Berry is an ass. Any coach who makes a point of tuning up his players every time they make a mistake, and in front of 27,000 fans, is an ass. They sure hated it when Asper gave them a tune up publicly, and cried "should have been done behind closed doors" but when the shoe is on the players foot then the rules change.
Berry is disliked by his time in my opinion and the way he treats players, whether it is Westwood, or anyone else, is unprofessional.
Didn't see him tearing into "Mr Reliable Stegal" though when he dropped that touchdown last game did we.

Comment Posted by nomads Aug 21, 2008 06:57 PM

Ok Let me expose our Al Castell/Shadrack: This guy pretends that he is so righteous. When we were on the sidelines one game he told us that he is a math major and he did the numbers for the WTFL and the money does not add up. You know what he is incinuating. Let's see you wriggle out of this one professor.
Glen

Comment Posted by Jyuen Aug 22, 2008 07:03 AM

What does that have to do with Berry being an Ass or Troy not being in the press box?

Comment Posted by spider Aug 22, 2008 07:55 AM

TROY'S THE BEST KICKER THE BOMBERS HAVE HAD ALL YEAR.

Isn't that a sad reflection on Brendan Taman,and the penny pinching organization Lyle Bauer runs.

Yeah he saved the team after Cal lost thousands. But that's the reality of the game. It costs money to bring in a quality guy. Luckily, Glenn, and the guys they have brought in, have developed somewhat. But are they good enough? Last year Yes..this year no. What gives?

But why didn't the "brass" know they were going to ostrasciz Westwood and try and run him out of town? Isn't that just poor planning?

Weird huh?

The good news>>>> Serna hasn't missed a field goal (in a game) in a week!

Comment Posted by nomads Aug 23, 2008 06:22 PM

Well Jason: I can explain. Al is so quick to chastize other people for not being nice yet he can go behind someones back(in this case the league) and stab them. That is why I made that reference.
Glen

Comment Posted by Shadrack Aug 24, 2008 04:51 PM

What I said Glen, you idiot, was that we were at a meeting and spoke up about the insurance and how the league was making good money on the insurance. Damian was at that meeting. We spoke up publicly about it at the meeting. Nothing hidden asswipe. No conspiracy. I told you about it, and that, you idiot, was the conversation. Something I have spoken out about. Something the league knows and has reasons for. All you do by trying to twist things is show your own stupidity and desperation in these conversations.

You are sitting...not playing. Acting like sour grapes. Drowning yourself in your booze and reality shows wishing that someone, just anyone in this league who played with you, actually gave a shit about you. Don't you notice nobody sides with you?

Call that rightous? I call that truthful.

You bicker away like some old pissed off hermit, trying to absolve to others why you have been hard done by.
Pathetic. Really. Truly Glen. Pathetic.
Don't think that anyone on the team I play on would call me rightous. I'm a team player, offer advice, always show up, stand up for the players on this team, not that they need defending.

You notice nobody wants to side with you?

Have you not noticed that yet?

Not one person.

One post.

Not one soul out there defends you or stands up to you.

They can all read, you idiot. They can all see the bitter old man who quit because he was being asked to mix things up.
Asked to be a team player Glen. You quit because you wanted to call the whole show when it wasn't working.
That is why no team wants you right now.
I quit on you Glen. Because of you. Because I didn't want to divide the team and wreck it. That is why I quit. You don't think that it was hard to quit on Damian, Paul, Glen, George, Mike, Von, Drew? Some of these guys I am great friends with. I quit so they didn't have to get involved. Quit because of you.
For that, I will continuely chase you down on these forums and take my shots. I won't tire of finding ways to make fun at your expense.
Until you get it and either shut up or admit that you should have handled things differently.
You put a lot of guys out when all they asked you to do was try some different things.
You quit and then started to take shots at one of my best friends.
Another reason I will chase you down on here.
You want to have words in public about this, in front of others if we cross paths, I am good with that too.
You are a child who messed up a great team. Took them a while to recover. Make no mistake Glen, that was your fault. You should have been a leader and took the advice and been a team player.
I've seen the emails.
Why don't you look in a mirror and see who the fool is right now.
Maybe then you can fix the problem.
You.
Either that, or shut up. You never say anything positive, so who needs you?

Call that rightous?
I call that saying what we all see. Sorry for being blunt, but man, you don't go quietly into that dark night.

Comment Posted by nomads Aug 24, 2008 04:56 PM

Me Thinks Thou doth protest too much.Your wriggle didn't work. We all see through you.
Glen

Comment Posted by Shadrack Aug 24, 2008 05:03 PM

No wriggling here. Are you so bored that you think your posts grant you status?
Sad.
Sad old Glen.
No protest idiot.
Facts.
Seen through clear eyes.
Not red wobbly pop eyes like yours.
Your line is getting old. What is that, three times you have used it.
Read another line of Shakespeare so you have something else to quote.
Sad.
I'm sure Damian and Paul remember what I am talking about because we have spoken about it on numerous occasions.
By the way, what does the fact of telling people that I am educated have to do with these conversations? So I majored in stats, actually. Get it right.
Were you drunk that day and that is why you have all these facts wrong?
Drunk?
Stupid?
Both?
Methinks.

Comment Posted by nomads Aug 24, 2008 07:07 PM

Al:You must love me. I see your keeping track of my lines. Please don't stalk me.Oh, hold on I have to take another sip.And by the way I happen to be a very good listener. You said you were a "Math Major". You've been caught again.Do you happen to notice that I don't have to stupe to your level in name calling to get your goat.
Glen

Comment Posted by nomads Aug 24, 2008 07:21 PM

Al: All my friends who like me noticed it too.They tell me poor Al. He doesn't know what he's up against.
Glen

Comment Posted by Shadrack Aug 26, 2008 07:05 AM

Stats major. You were drunk. Caught again? On what? I guess when you aren't playing football you have a lot of time to dwell.
You don't get into it with me because you are witless.
All your friends? Tell them to start speaking up for you on here, or are they from the same school of mispellings as you? Maybe they can't type? Perhaps read? Perhaps in the imaginary world you live in you have friends but in reality it doesn't seem that you have many.
By the way, you forgot your comments to me that day when we were talking where you said in response to my comments about the insurance "why would you expect anything else Al, the league has always been financially a mess." Or did you forget that response to me?

Glen, I am up against a simpleton. The town idiot who people humour and laugh along with because they feel sorry for him.
You are a malicious little turd who refuses to get the fact that I enjoy toying with you. Maybe get someone else to log in as you and put up some sort of a battle.
Stalk you?
Yeah. Who seems to know that Paul wasn't playing in the last legends game? Maybe the legends should look at who feeds you all the info. I would call that stalking. Keeping track and commenting on the team that you quit on.
I just stalk you on here. I get bored and look for you on here to toy with.

Comment Posted by nomads Aug 26, 2008 01:51 PM

Dumdeedum
Glen

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com