Forums » General » Question

Messages for Question

Comment Posted by silver fox Aug 14, 2008 07:32 AM

Can somebody explain to me why a team (Elite Div) plays a team from a lower division and decides to run it up 69-0?

I challenge the motivation of any team that decides to do that. Is the rational stats or what is it? Now on the other hand, if you're playing a team from your own division and lets assume a rivalry has existed over time, or there is some competitive retribution to be had, I get it. However in this case, I really am curious as to why?

I'll give you an example; the first time the Eagles played the Assassins in their history (1990), the Eagles actually won in a squeaker and near the end. We did not play them again that year but faced them early the next season. Lets just say they didn't forget and we got walloped and I understand that....they wanted to show who was still boss.

If the Boston Bruins (not my favorite), played the Portage Terriers and got up 5-0 after the first period in a hockey game, I wonder what they would do.....call the dogs off or hold a parade?

I know what I would do.

Comment Posted by Avengerman Aug 14, 2008 08:13 AM

Mike Brownridge played for the Avengers, who is also the Aztecs QB and they were missing some players.

Comment Posted by silver fox Aug 14, 2008 08:34 AM

Based on the response and if I am correct, then the answer to the question is that the "motivation" is twofold;

a) they don't have a QB
b) they are short staffed

I guess I am a bit dumbfounded because your team (Avengers) has many character guys who should know better.

Sometimes to win a championship the elements of class and sportsmanship need to fit into the recipe.

Do as you please with my comments and suggestions, as I was only curious.

Comment Posted by avengers Aug 14, 2008 08:49 AM

I played maybe 7 minutes of the second half then then our 3rd string QB (note: not 2nd) went in. We had all our spares in the first half playing. It was one of those games for the Aztecs (e.g., interceptions of laterals, dropped balls, etc). After the game the Aztecs had no problems, one of them even went out for beers with us.

We tried to down the ball and the Aztecs refused. We take offense to you comments Jim. If you were at the game you would have seen otherwise.

Thanks for the "motivation". Judging by your slanderous statements, you obviously weren't 'just curious'.

Jon

Comment Posted by silver fox Aug 14, 2008 09:11 AM

Jon,

No slander involved in my comments and if you need that for motivation, I wish you well. Notice I said you have "many character guys", but you failed to recognize that. I would list them but I risk leaving one or two out, and i mean that sincerely.

You beat us last time, beat us good too, so you carry the edge right now....if I were you I would take a little advice, similar to how the Eagles did as they were moving up the ranks years ago. But, your choice, take it or leave it. Some of the advice helped us to win 3 Intermediate championships in 3 appearances, 10 or 11 Elite Championship appearances for which we won 3 and the Assassins got in the way for the other 7 or 8.

How many do you have, and you won't need a calculator.

I asked a simple question but you begged for a response....again, do as you please with the advice.

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Aug 14, 2008 11:05 AM

This is why crossover games with the multiple player rule in place is stupid. We've seen this before, it's nothing new. Anytime you can show up to a game and play for either team sets yourself up for some questions.

Now I'm not implying anything here about what goes on, and I've played on my share of teams in the same situation, but you can see in theory how a team in elite can gain extra wins in the standings if they have a farm team or 2 in div 1. Same goes for any cross divisional play (I'm not singling out anybody here) Considering the elite division's standings are pretty close and you probably don't want to end up 4th, this can make a difference.

Some people will reply with "who cares, it's just regular season, it doesn't matter". If that's the case, then why have the regular season?

Comment Posted by silver fox Aug 14, 2008 11:29 AM

I guess I am a bit uptight because my employer desperately needs a win tonight but JaMarcus is right as far as I'm concerned and this is a subject matter that will never go away.

My issue is and always has been that this rule takes away from the "credibility" of our league and JaMarcus' comments above are but one more example. I understand those who say they just want to play football 24/7 but that's not enough.
Can you name another "credible" league in a "credible" sport that allows for this chaos? I don't think so, and we are a credible league.

There are simply more cons than pros, albeit this thread was not attacking this subject.

Now, can we agree that the Bombers need to win tonight before the bye week?

And, i will look both ways before I cross the road if Jon is driving down the street.

Comment Posted by avengers Aug 14, 2008 11:47 AM

Jim, you have been around in Elite literally decades longer than I have. This is the 3rd year for the Avengers so comparing Elite championships is by definition 'apples and oranges'. Your comment regarding stat hunting and insinuating we ran up the score was both erroneous and stupid considering you had no factual basis to back up your statements. You could have looked at the scorecard to check who played in the game, if it was really of that much concern to you, you might have contacted the refs or either team to see what happened, or you could have just posted the same question, but you chose not to.

This was your question 'Can somebody explain to me why a team (Elite Div) plays a team from a lower division and decides to run it up 69-0?' You chose the term 'run it up' then proceeded to provide examples of what 'good teams would do'. Both insinuating we ran up the score and we were not one of those 'good teams'. Your second comment furthered your inaccuracies by stating we 'should know better' and 'sometimes to win a championship the elements of class and sportsmanship need to fit into the recipe'. Again insinuating a lack of class and sportsmanship. Thus there was no question, just slander Jim. You previously have been on the forum criticizing others for the same type of misinformed comments you are yourself guilty of. Don't take the high and mighty road when you are one undercutting those around you.

You should always look both ways before crossing the street regardless of who is driving. Makes sense.

Jon

Comment Posted by Avengerman Aug 14, 2008 12:07 PM

I think your OK crossing the street Jim. Jon doesn't want to dammage his new car.

Comment Posted by silver fox Aug 14, 2008 12:11 PM

Okay Jon,

You want it straight up....

(1) If you can't understand my message, seek an interpreter
(2) I don't have to be there to know you ran up the score
(3) Now, if you are going to accuse me and call me out, then bare the facts for all to see.
(4) "Undercutting", my ass! You may want to explain that one as I will hold you to it. If you are going to call me "stupid" you'll see me next week....come and tell me
(5) I am no saint for which you will agree....heck, I even got thrown out of a game last year and was suspended for which I was not proud, but....
(6) For a guy who sits on a league executive, locate some grit or some backbone or jump in the water with the rest of the eels.
(7) Given (5) above, I will rest my reputation against yours any day of the week in this league. It won't be unanimous in my favor, but I will take my chances.
(8) And, some more advice.....find some thicker skin or a box of kleenex.

You made it personal Mr. Franklin, and I will never back away from that.

Comment Posted by avengers Aug 14, 2008 12:20 PM

Fine Jim, just do yourself a favor and take your own advice on the 'thick skin' comment. The game was of no concern of yours, and you don't see any Aztecs supporting your comments.

My comments stand. You started this, I'll finish it.

Jon

Comment Posted by Avengerman Aug 14, 2008 12:32 PM

Jon I guess we should have punted on second down in the second half.

Go Bombers!!!

Comment Posted by silver fox Aug 14, 2008 12:41 PM

I rebutted your comments...every one of them.

You conveniently did not...so,

Your "comments stand", and so do mine so we'll leave it at that.

End of subject.

Comment Posted by silver fox Aug 14, 2008 01:01 PM

I'll contradict myself once I guess as it is not the "end of the subject"

Yes, I am insinuating that "you ran it up"

To clarify, and the reason for my beef, is that you are one of the "good teams" who should know better...

I add this for clarification.

Comment Posted by avengers Aug 14, 2008 01:06 PM

And all I was trying to get across was we did everything from rest the starters, put in multiple QBs, and ask to down the ball (which was refused). The game was cut by 15 minutes as it was and the score still ended up lopsided. Heck our rusher went home at half time. As Damian said we could have punted the ball each time it was turned over or kneed down starting in the 3rd quarter but I think that would have been worse. If you were concerned, this would also have been better stated in person than on the forum anyway. At least you now admit you were not asking a simple question when all of this started.

I add this for clarification.

Jon

Comment Posted by silver fox Aug 14, 2008 02:03 PM

I think everyone is bored reading this by now but I will rephrase my point;

My concern is it can't be good for any league when a very "good team" from the top ranked division "runs it up" on a lower division team. Its made more complicated when the Qb and arguably their best player, plays for the Elite team, and they have 7 guys left.

I would have stated that even had it been the Assassins, Sunparties or the Avengers. Feel free to return the favor when the Eagles do the same.

I have no problem approaching you in person and will do so the next time we play.

I was simply interested in the opinions of others....you chose to react the way you did and life goes on.

Comment Posted by avengers Aug 14, 2008 02:14 PM

I thought we were done. You already admitted that you insinuated the worst. Is that your third 'end of the subject' response, or do we have to read a fourth?

Comment Posted by silver fox Aug 14, 2008 05:41 PM

Jon,

You wanted the next response "in person"....I'll meet you at the coin toss. If you have something more to add, I'll be 3 feet in front of you, unless of course you can't make up your mind between heads and tails.

I thought you were a bit tougher mentally.....guess I'm wrong again in your mind.

Anyone want to mediate this war of the words? I just posed a simple question and certainly got an answer.

Hey, when are elections for next year's executive.....might be fun if I can muster enough votes.

Bombers won!

Comment Posted by avengers Aug 14, 2008 05:45 PM

No votes, just join the exec we can use the help. Next meeting is Monday 8:00 Canadinns Fort Garry. Why wait until Friday to discuss this in person?

If you were mentally tough you would have stuck to your word 4 posts ago and shut up. I obviously have gotten under your skin. When's the 5th rebuttal (despite your word that there would be no more)?

Jon

Comment Posted by Jyuen Aug 14, 2008 06:22 PM

There's a Smacktalk forum a couple clicks away FYI...

Comment Posted by nomads Aug 14, 2008 06:49 PM

Wow I thought I was the only one to stir things up on this forum. My comments are this. In my tennis career I have played two tournament matches against opponents who were of a way higher caliber than me who chose to dog it in their play knowing that they could not lose to me. I was so pissed off that they didn't give me their best. One guy even chose to play with his opposite hand. That is way more of an insult than whipping me. Just bring your best or play in the ladies division.
Glen

Comment Posted by spider Aug 14, 2008 07:25 PM

Awesome reading.

nothing out by Grisham and Clancy. this might be better.

This beats trivia all to hell.

keep going.
Let's go back to cross over games.

I think the elite should just play each other 6 times. What a great division that would be.
Div one and two - never understood that. Just make it one big div.
(use the kleenex comment for those that object)

Finally, all players by this time of year should have a matching uniform. isn't that in the Constitution?

Bombers won. Told ya. I was off by fifteen, but make that 9 if the former kicker would have connected.

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Aug 14, 2008 08:51 PM

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the eagles kicked the outsiders 66-6 when we were in div 2 (many many years ago). That's it Jim, now I'm gonna have to have words with you! Ok, I'll forgive you if you give me your tickets to the labour day game. Send me an email and I'll let you know where you can drop them off.

Go riders!

Comment Posted by silver fox Aug 15, 2008 04:54 AM

I need to go to a meeting in about 5 minutes....so,

a) JaMarcus....66 points! Was I the QB, as I do not think I am capable of that? Here's hoping the Bombers "run it up" against your Riders on Labor Day. (poor choice of words, my bad!)
b) "Nomads" - Tennis! I played alot as well, everyday on the courts at Sargent Park. I was slow, but had the big southpaw serve and volley. Want to play...and I won't change hands, and when I have you 6-0, 6-0, 5-0 and serving for the match, I;ll ace you.
c) Jon...Now you want an audience at a meeting, make up your mind! I'll try to make it but is there room on the agenda for me? How about I come to the meeting and we'll grab a beverage immediately thereafter. You can yell at me, I'll yell at you, and maybe we can "run up" the tab...(oops). And ya,if you are still counting, that will be my 6th response.

Have a good day

Comment Posted by avengers Aug 15, 2008 05:45 AM

Orbit room directly down the street from the meeting afterwards. If you drink crown I am sure this could be settled amicably.

Jon

Comment Posted by silver fox Aug 15, 2008 06:02 AM

We have found common ground.

I hope to be there Monday.

Comment Posted by spider Aug 15, 2008 06:03 AM

All I want to know is who is "Russia" and who is "Georgia?"

The lines are a little blurry........

Comment Posted by Avengerman Aug 15, 2008 06:21 AM

More like Itchy and Scratchy.

Comment Posted by scott Aug 15, 2008 06:32 AM

JeanMachine, the only reason that took place was because Iron Maiden was the sponsor for that game.66-6 what a Beast of a game...........

Ps. Orbit room order more crown now!

Blazers still run the shoe.

Comment Posted by dubblezeero Aug 15, 2008 11:28 AM

Yeah I never remember getting crushed by the Assassins a whole bunch of times throughout my career...must be PTSD, and for that matter I think the Ratz killed us a few times....sure we had some competitive games but we got kicked alot too!! Cant remember the scores (again PTSD) but we got k i c k e d..

I can't believe this, one blowout and the whole world has to change now...we should be playin tiddly winks..come on who's game? maybe marbles? no too violent(oh, that's only when playin my brother..bastard!)

Ok ladies...institute a mercy rule 24 pts lead in the second half and the game is called, works in the kids leagues or even better when the kids were 5 and 6 in hockey we didn't keep score so no one was traumatized....thats the ticket

good grief charlie brown.....

Carl#00 aka BSG aka Cliff aka "your an asshole kitchen" aka.......

Comment Posted by spider Aug 15, 2008 11:42 AM

PTSD???? "Put the soap DOWN?"
What the hell is PTSD?
Where were ya last nite. Got a table reserved for eternity now

Comment Posted by dubblezeero Aug 15, 2008 11:46 AM

H O O O O O O O O O T E R SSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Comment Posted by rey Aug 15, 2008 08:41 PM

okay, i've got a lot of material to get through, so listen up.
as well, i am cross referencing two threads, so be alert.
spider, what is it about 69 that you find so repugnant?
i don't see a whole lot of comments about this game by people who were actually at the game, so I'm gonna fill people in a bit.
Point one, Aztecs stunk from the get go. first play on defence aztecs play 5-1. I'm the 1. jon looks at man (very fast man, by the way) who looks like he's running a corner or perhaps a streak and rears back to throw. i turn to take away the corner, jon throws the ball about 40 yards straight down field, but also about 40 yards up in the air so it takes forever to get there. I figure the ball is way over thrown, fast man runs under it and runs the remaining 30 yards for a touchdown. please note that the aztec defence punished the avengers on the convert, allowing no points to be scored, thus keeping the final tally under 70.
Point two, I don't think there was any trash talk between the players, other than when one of our guys shouted 'take that, avengers!' after a successful defensive stop on a convert (twenty seconds into the game).
Point three, when i got home and my wife said, 'how was your game?' i didn't say, 'the other team ran the score up on us,' i simply said, 'we stunk', although in part because I was concerned she may have found the fact that the avengers decided to score precisely 69 points repugnant.
Point four, last year we did beat the assassins; i think it was a come from behind victory too (a repugnant way to win, i know). in this years rematch, their half time rallying cry (not that they required a rally) was something to the effect of 'no let up! these guys beat us last year!'
Point five, our quarterback is the main reason we win games.
Point six, our quarterback plays for the avengers.
Point seven, we had seven guys show up for a game against an elite team. can you imagine that? hey gang, we're playing one of the top teams in the province, you ready? yawn, i think michael phelps is going to win another swimming medal in CHINA. I'd rather WATCH that (okay, technically we had eight show up, but one of them was wearing an opposition jersey).
Point eight, i want to play elite teams, i don't care if we get smacked. well, actually i do care - i'd rather win, but i don't head off to the game thinking, 'great, another whuppin'.' im fired up to play. and i'm there to win.
Point nine, i paid two bucks to park my car to play on a field that was decidedly not one of the best in western canada (i almost killed kanwal when i accidentally kicked a pylon (that was covering a sprinkler (!)) off his dome), so there was no way I was downing it with three minutes left (after 50 minutes of football).
Point ten, when the score is that one sided, is it necessary for every close call to go to the winning team? who really cares if wayne stepped over the line of scrimmage by one yard to complete a 25 yard pass when the score is 50-0? i don't think any team would have hollered at the refs over that...well, maybe one team.
Point eleven, with mike at qb, and the other guys show up, the score is at worst 40-20 avengers, at best, we eke out a victory (don't believe me? let us have mike next year...which brings me to my next point).
Point twelve, if a player plays on two teams that play against one another, he plays for the lower division team (if i say 'play' four times in one sentence again in this post, then he plays for the upper division team). i take it for granted that if a guy is playing on a second team in a lower div, he is an integral part of that team. if an elite team is afraid of playing against a div one team with two or three elite players, maybe they shouldn't be in elite.
Point thirteen, jeff, who the hell are you calling 'recycled'?
Point fourteen, maybe i just don't take this seriously enough. i'm having a blast playing against guys who are young enough to be my kids. but if we don't play against really good teams, our defence always looks good. playing against elite teams (and losing by the score of ***CENSORED*** to 0) forces us to take a look at what we are (and are not) doing and come up with something better. we beat morningwood 55 - 0, I think, and I didn't hear them griping, and then we sat around and drank beer afterwards (well, some lushes did, anyway). i bet that later they talked about things they could have done differently, which wouldn't make much difference against a much better team, but might make a big difference for them in the playoffs.
Point fifteen, if the Bruins got up 5-0 on the Terriers in the first period, they wouldn't be leaving the arena under their own steam.
Point sixteen, i kind of think the multiple team thing is a bit dumb, but i've got a life, so what do i know? but mike is not going to play qb on jon's team, and anyone who has ever seen mike play qb knows that he should be qb on some team, so what do you do? on the other hand, if i didn't have to ref some games, i might be playing qb somewhere too.
Point seventeen, already up by 40 points, the avengers scored on an eight yard hook - that went 60 yards for a touchdown. that's not running it up, that's just silly.
Point eighteen, if jon started throwing with HIS opposite hand, i would have hit him with both of mine.
Point nineteen, we were awful, and they were on.
and just to make it an even twenty...
Point twenty, how do i keep my new one year old dog (got her two weeks ago from the humane society) from crappin' on the basement floor? we don't spend any time down there, so i think she thinks she's doing us a favour.

rey
aztecs

Comment Posted by spider Aug 15, 2008 08:59 PM

Rey, Rey, Rey,

I have never seen "69," "coming from behind," and "dogs" used in the same WTFL forum post before.... I am now going to shut up, and just make trivia questions.....

and yes.....despite being the only living former Rat still playing the game, today.....this undoubtably will be included at some time, as a trivia question.:)

So why didn't the guy play QB for you?(not impressed)

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com