Forums » General » Roberts & Ryan

Messages for Roberts & Ryan

Comment Posted by andy21 Sep 02, 2008 01:29 AM

Charles Roberts gets traded for Joe Smith. Are the Bombers better off? Was Roberts the reason for our continuing poor performance?
Our 9th game of the season and we couldn't even get one (insert profanity here) touchdown? WTF???? Is Joe Smith healthy enough to give this team the boost it needs?

Note to Taman and Berry.... Jon Ryan was released by the Packers. Get on the phone right now!!!!!

Comment Posted by Jyuen Sep 02, 2008 04:01 AM

I would have traded the Coach before Charlie but that's just me.

Comment Posted by PAYNER Sep 02, 2008 04:32 AM

So we trade the player who is consistent year after year? why the hell did we not get rid of the one guy who's been the most inconsistent---Glen #5.

Getting jon ryan is wishfull thinking but he'll never make it back here!

For the record I hate Kevin Glen - Brendan ( rubberroom ) Taman and that Idiot we got as a head coach! get rid of them all. lets get a complete fresh start!!!!!!!!!

Comment Posted by Long Island Ice-T Sep 02, 2008 04:34 AM

Kenton Keith says hi.

Comment Posted by PAYNER Sep 02, 2008 04:45 AM

or how about get rid of our 5-6 very dissapointing dbs or safetys. everytime every game whenever we need a big stop who always gets burnt? our lovely secondary.

Can Anyone please tell me why its always the bomber fans who get bent over and taken up the tail pipe?

Comment Posted by Jyuen Sep 02, 2008 09:18 AM

I expect to see a lot of paperbagged mugs at the Banjo Bowl

Comment Posted by nomads Sep 02, 2008 02:42 PM

Why should the bomber brass do anything when they will have 29,000 suckers to watch paint dry on Sunday.
Glen

Comment Posted by spider Sep 02, 2008 03:42 PM

Payner,

the answer is simple. You live in Manitoba. It appears Manitobans are "used to taken it up the poopshoot."

- CF - 18
- Crow rate cancellation
- no funding for arena/Winnipeg Jets
- no funding for new stadium
- no funding for infrastructure repair
- no funding for rapid transit.
- no Provincial leadership to develop water /hydro resources (OK that's coming)
- what else?

You have to remember,when Bauer took over the club way back when, Bauer's mandate was to come in here and get rid of the huge debt, that Cal Murphy left us with. As a community owned team, they have no money. Simply put, we get/got what we pay for. Quite frankly, we are probably the poorest team! yes poorer than the Riders!

If you remember, we got a 3rd string QB (Kevin Glenn)from the Riders /Argos for cheap. The operating philosophy is cheap cheap cheap. We don't have any DB's, because we won't pay any of them. For the most part, they were all waived, and we gave them a job, so they come cheap.

Last year, with only a quarter of the season left, they brought in Bolden and Stokes as they'd only have to pay them a quarter of their demands. O line - two expensive guys out, two inexpensive guys in. Westwood a little more pricey, a little inconsistent...dah!!! Get a rookie pay him a third and hope for the best.

But, maybe that's not it either. Why couldn't they just go recruit some unknown guy working at McD's and offer him $ 50 K to come play some ball. I mean you'd take it wouldn't you? All the other teams bring in one of the possible 5 million graduating college players from the states.....How many has Tamen brought in? Dont seem like many does it?

So, that raises the question, Can our GM find talent? Well evidently not at QB or DB.

I was at the game in Regina, and Glenn just is, pathetic. He can't run, His throws literally fly away, and his passes get receivers killed. Franklin, and then Milt on the sideline were nearly cut in half.

This trade and the Westwood "cutting" are scapegoats. If they had "the plan," why didn't they do this in the offseason. This has the makings of a disaster. If the rumours are true that Berry has lost the room, and they are axing all our legends, that ain't cool.
Who's next ? one of Malveaux and the other M guy, Charlton (has that guy made a play),and once he has the record, Milt retires then and there, he's taking a roster spot of someone who can play. Maybe Reid at 2 and the BC Joe guy at 3. That would give us some ball control, that Berry reportedly likes? Give Glenn somemore protection.

Granted everyone has to call it a career at some point, but....there are other ways to handle it. They have chosen some poor ways. That is poor management.

However, Roberts is currently the worst Running back in the league. He doesn't run hard, he has no burst, and no explosiveness. If he doesn't start to train, he'll be done.

However, should this be a "wake up call," Charlie could easily run up 1500 yard seasons for another 5 years. As a Football fan, lets hope so.

Glen is the problem. It's great to be loyal to a guy, but why cut Roberts when Glen is as equally uneffective? Nothing in the bull pen? Don't know. Well they can't cut Glenn because they would have to pay him. Of course he'll be gone at the end of the season.

As we have all seen, get ready for another crap performance by Pee Wee! But!!!!At least we have a Hooters, and it is open and their wings are awesome.

What do you think?

Comment Posted by paulback22 Sep 02, 2008 04:10 PM

Roberts showed his true colors in the Grey Cup. The only thing that runs with any kind of blazing consistancy is his mouth, while his pass catching abilities are suspect at best. Having said that....You "DO NOT" trade a guy who is 12 yds away from 10,000 and would have got it home and at least given the fans something to cheer about. This trade would have been here in a week as Smith was going nowhere fast.

Berry has shown that he has no idea how to get out of this mess..........fire him.
Taman has shown, again, with this trade that he is an idiot..............fire him.
If Lyle Bauer doesn't have the balls to do it............................need I say it?

Desperate trades this late in the season are like putting a fresh coat of paint on a turd. So save the paint, lets clean out the shit, and start fresh next year and use the rest of this season to evaluate what we have.

My $0.02

Comment Posted by spider Sep 02, 2008 04:24 PM

Hey Paul
That's a good point about waiting a week. Wow! an exceptionally good point!

Comment Posted by Mark Sep 02, 2008 05:20 PM

It's not that we're not paying guys enough, we're as close to the salary cap as everyone else and now that they actually enforce it that means something.

I still believe a lot of problems are coaching. Why our offensive coordinator is still there I don't know. Someone can fill me in on our game plan but I don't see it. I'm thinking less and less of Berry every week too, especially as we have Greg Marshall who could fill in nicely.

I'm not sold that Glenn is a major problem, but he had more then his share of mistakes on Sunday. But look at Sask with Bishop. That was scary for them cause Bishop was bad as well. Hopefully Durant gets well soon for them.

Maybe Joe Smith can plunge through some players if our O-line can't put up the blocks they need too. I'm not quite sure why BC wanted Roberts though with Logan around.

Comment Posted by PAYNER Sep 04, 2008 06:00 AM

I know we spen alot of our cap room. every year we are always maxed out or close to. but we always seem to spend the money on the guys who dont deserve it or bring very little to the table.

ex - I like matt sheridan , but he has not played a full season ever EVER! we were so worried to resign him , Why?

the only thing thats gonna make me me buy season tickets next year is if berry,taman,bauer are all fired and Kevin ( pipsqueeck ) glen is gone,traded or otherwise.

I'M SICK OF THIS SHIT !

Comment Posted by spider Sep 04, 2008 07:21 AM

I am sure many agree.

But let's look at this as if you and I were rrunning the team.

For sure there are cap issues.

And the Execeutive jumped the gun signing Glenn to a long term contract for big bucks. But he did have an MVP year last year.

Secondly, they have been snake bitten. Obby Khan, then Sheriden. - weird "injuries" But that's life, move on - they are.

Third - dealing Roberts - excellent- yeah he'd get the impossible yards, but also - 2. Berry and all coaches would like a back to get at least 4 yds on first down. If that is done, the Bombers will flourush, as Pip Squeek is the master of the 6 yard pass!

Fourth- Improve the D. and they have. The last two years, it's the same story, a little weak, but the correct things. That's good. Players like M and M and Ike are very inconsistent, but hey, that's life, get the cards out and deal with it.

All and all, the team ain't that bad.

Certainly they are not far behind Montreal in terms of play.

Have faith. It's not how you start it's how you finish. and the Blue can't possibly be tht bad...can they?

Comment Posted by pchan Sep 04, 2008 09:02 AM

All this doesn't matter

NFL Starts in about 5 hours.

Comment Posted by ArthurG#12 Sep 04, 2008 10:39 AM

how about timmy chang, i think he's better than both our qb's. could he be the guy?

Comment Posted by pfpicass Sep 04, 2008 11:43 AM

word is out that culpepper is retired from football. lets bug taman to get this guy (look what flutie did in a bigger field), drop glenn and use that salary to entice him. all he needs is recievers, and we have 3!!

Comment Posted by nomads Sep 04, 2008 06:37 PM

You could put Payton Manning in at QB and if he's going to throw 4 yard patterns hoping that they break tackles your going to get the same result. Just watch Ricky Ray and almost every other team in the league. Throw the damn ball down field.
Glen
Oh and Brett how do you like the upgrade at QB for the Legends.

Comment Posted by alouette Sep 05, 2008 05:11 AM

Boooooooo pchan. Go start your own No Fun League thread...

Spider, Montreal ranks first in offence, Winnipeg ranks last. Winnipeg ranks 5th in defence, Montreal ranks 6th. I guess you were being sarcastic when you say the Bombers aren't far behind Montreal in terms of play.

At that salary, Glenn is ripping off the Bombers pretty good. What a waste...

Comment Posted by spider Sep 05, 2008 05:43 AM

I don't put much emphasis in stats.

Montreal beat up on two lousy teams to get those stats. Montreal did play well the last two games. And Montreal usually flops the second half of the season.

Winnipeg plays Montreal pretty tough...so if they should meet, I would not be surprised of an "upset."

Glenn has the ability. or had the ability.?? We are not going to get rid of him, so face it, ....hopefully he has enough character to keep trying. Not to make excuses, but the Bombers lost that 1st game kind of flukily, and then got ripped off by officials for a turn around of 21 points. Throw those two games in as wins and we are 500(or so).

The breaks have been against us. We are due for a break out game.

Someone said, the Bombers coaches adjust as the season goes on, and Berry has that reputation. Therefore,the team should get better. I still think they are better than all the East teams. Mark this thread down! Bombers will win the East!...and back to the Cup.

I am so sure, I have booked my tickets and hotel!

Comment Posted by alouette Sep 05, 2008 07:41 AM

Montreal beat up two lousy teams, you mean the Bombers and Toronto ? They dominated all the teams in the East and have been measuring up quite good against the West.

I like your optimism, but the break out point was last week. They lost and I didn't see anything positive about that game to build on. With Glenn at the helm, they are bound for mediocrity...sad.

Hey, I have my Grey Cup tickets and room as well. I just feel sorry for my wife who thought we were going to see the Bombers win against BC. Guess we'll have to settle for another Montreal - Edmonton thriller...

Comment Posted by spider Sep 05, 2008 12:16 PM

I hear ya, and don't have much for rebuttal...

I am no Glenn fan, "but" even if he is bad, he just has to throw the ball to our guys. And I admit I did not see many positives from Pee Wee either. However, in some games there have been drops, when he has laid it in there. So, if the receivers play somewhat perfect, we have a chance.

and should it not be a rematch of last year's Grey Cup.....Hey there's always the Montreal Cdns, and underground shopping. What's playing in New York that weekend?

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com