Forums » General » Explain two calls

Messages for Explain two calls

Comment Posted by cobras63 Sep 13, 2008 08:05 PM

The Bomber game featured two calls by the refs that confused me. Maybe someone here can answer them, as Doug Brown couldn't.
1) Bombers punt, Toronto lets it bounce around. It bounces into the leg of an Argo, and a Bomber is within the 5 yard halo. No yards is obviously the call; but why oh why did the refs give them a 15 yard penalty? Last I checked, a bouncing punt no-yards was merely 5 yards.
2) That weird catch/incomplete/fumble thing on the sidelines. Now, to my eye, that was either incomplete or a fumble, but certainly not a completed pass. Anyone else catch that who wants to try to explain?

Comment Posted by Mark Sep 14, 2008 02:13 AM

1) My only guess is that the rule may read that it is a 15 yard penalty if you are in the 5 yard radius while the ball is still in the air, regardless if it is caught. But like you I am unsure on the exact reasoning for the call.

2) From my view of the play I thought it was a completed pass, followed by a fumble that did not touch any Bomber player on the way out-of-bounds so Argo ball. It was very close to not being a fumble until it was out-of-bounds to start with.

Comment Posted by Crock Sep 14, 2008 05:26 AM

The rule on the punt that touched the Bomber was that since it bounced it is only a 5 yard penalty however it is assessed from the 10 yard line because it was in the endzone and then came out.

Crock

Comment Posted by gordon Sep 14, 2008 06:02 AM

On the punt - I was under the impression that the refs assessed 15 yards because in their opinion it was intentional and the Bombers made no effort to clear the five yards.

I agree with Mark on the catch by Bruce.

Comment Posted by jdyck Sep 14, 2008 08:35 AM

Maybe a ref can explain if this has any bearing - to me it looked like Brown was actually touching the Argo player when the ball hit his leg. I figured that had something to do with it...

Comment Posted by spider Sep 14, 2008 03:16 PM

Remember different leagues have different rules.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com