Forums » General » Summer Tournament July 18-19

Messages for Summer Tournament July 18-19

Comment Posted by marc Jun 17, 2009 08:27 PM

Please check out the page link on the left for more information about the tournament we are hosting in July. If you have any questions, you can post them here or email tournament@wtfl.ca.

Thanks!

Comment Posted by marc Jun 18, 2009 10:27 AM

I just updated the page with a bit more information. Check it yo.

Comment Posted by cswanston Jun 19, 2009 08:13 AM

Hey Folks,

Just want to make sure that everyone knows that the format will allow all teams to play competition that suits their appropriate level.

Cheers,
Craig

Comment Posted by goodguy123 Jun 21, 2009 12:57 PM

Much unlike regular season play in the WTFL!! HaHa. Im kidding. You guys are doing a great job.

Comment Posted by marc Jun 21, 2009 02:32 PM

Just remember though for playoffs we are still breaking those 2 men's divisions into 4 divisions of 5 teams so the competition should tighten up a bit.

Get your money in for the tourney though, it will be good times.

Comment Posted by spider Jun 21, 2009 04:34 PM

Can you give us a tentative look at what you're talking about. Thatis based on the standings today, what wouild the playoffs look like?

The current division standings don't really mean a hoot as is.... maybe give us a "tenative" look at what you're planing?

This would also give teamsa chance to see who their competition woukld likely be.

Comment Posted by marc Jun 21, 2009 05:20 PM

There's 20 teams in men's A and B. 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20.
Make sense?

Comment Posted by spider Jun 21, 2009 08:06 PM

OK, so can you place team names beside who would go where?
and of course, would the 1st place team get a bye or would the last two play off in a preliminary round to get down to 4 teams?
Just wondering so we can start looking for rivalries and front runners?

Comment Posted by marc Jun 22, 2009 12:45 AM

4 would play 5 in the first round.

We're going to need a bunch more games in the can before I can start putting names beside who I think will go into the divisions once it's all said and done. Everybody plays each other twice so we'll be able to apply the tie-breakers fairly easily I hope. The last few games of the season could become very interesting to determine where teams will go in the playoffs.

Comment Posted by spider Jun 22, 2009 04:52 AM

Man it's like trying to get water out of the desert....

Since Marc is hesitant to put some faces to names, how about someone else offering to place teams. That is predict the favourites!!!! Geez!

(I haven't seen enough teams yet, but.....I'llm offer this........ Eagles in Elite look good.
Dog Pound in whatever div they are in, look consistent
Plus Boston with Ricky Menai at QB are always a threat.

Anyone know who the hot woman's teams are?

Why is everyone so quiet?

Comment Posted by wendy Jun 23, 2009 09:01 AM

RED BULL gals will be roaming the tournie fields! They've just confirmed their sponsorship of the WTFL 2009 Tournie!

Comment Posted by cwentz Jun 23, 2009 02:06 PM

Do you have to put in a registered team for this turny? example - if my team didn't have enough players to field a team could we combine with someone else? or create a whole new team all together with a bunch of different players just for the turny? Just curious, havn't talked to my team about it yet, but a july weekend, im guessing a lot wont go.

Chris

Comment Posted by marc Jun 23, 2009 08:16 PM

The team you enter in doesn't have to be a registered team. If you want to combine up with another team or whatever, you can do that.

Comment Posted by duhard Jun 30, 2009 10:51 AM

Just a reminder to all teams that the Early Bird Deadline for the WTFL Summer Tournament is this Friday!

The early Bird registration is Friday July 3rd and the registration fee is $325.

Registration Deadline is Friday July 10th and the registration fee is $350.

REMEMBER: Tournament spots are limited in order to keep balanced divisions. Please get your registration in as soon as possible.

Tournament is July 18th and 19th at Optimist Park. Rosters are "open" so if your team needs to pick up extra players you are free to do so.

To all Men's and Women's teams please email us if your team is interested so we can do our best to hold a spot for you.

Questions?

email Craig@wtfl.ca or Marc@wtfl.ca

Comment Posted by lmitchnik Jul 14, 2009 01:00 PM

When are the pools and schedule going to be released? Guys want to know when our first game will be.

Leslie

Comment Posted by cswanston Jul 14, 2009 03:44 PM

Schedule will be posted either tomorrow night or Thursday morning.

Expect to play Saturday morning, but we won't have to start to early. We'll just want to make sure the last games of the day end with enough time for guys to be able to catch the start of the Bomber/Ti-Cat game.

Comment Posted by cswanston Jul 14, 2009 03:46 PM

We still have one B Division team looking for players.

$30 per guy
3 game minimum (1 hour tournament time)
Prize money for finalists and champs
Blue Bomber sponsored Player of the Game Awards!

Tournaments are a lot of fun and a great way to improve your play.

Please contact me if any of you are interested and we'll get you hooked up.

craig@wtfl.ca

Comment Posted by patton34 Jul 16, 2009 06:07 AM

What out of town teams if any are playing in the Tourny?

Comment Posted by canadianclimate Jul 16, 2009 05:36 PM

It is now Thursday night and nothing has been posted in the way of a schedule!!

What's going on?

Thanks
Jason

Comment Posted by cswanston Jul 16, 2009 06:16 PM

Hey Jason,

I just sent an email with the final draw. Sorry for the delay. We had to fianlize a few things.

Click here to view the Draw for this weekend's tournament:

http://www.wtfl.ca/league_file/file_name/356/WTFL_TournamentJuly18_19.pdf

or go to WTFL.ca and click on the Forms and Files page and then click on Tournament Draw.

Cheers,
Craig

Comment Posted by spider Jul 17, 2009 06:10 AM

Who are the Ram Rods? GG maider? Streakcats?

Comment Posted by cswanston Jul 17, 2009 07:33 AM

Ramrods are from Regina

GG Maidens is a combined womens team of GGWs and Iron Maidens

Streakcats is a combined womens team of Streak and Wildcats

Comment Posted by spider Jul 17, 2009 07:45 AM

So is it true that the former RR receiver, Matt Dominguez is on this Regina team?

Comment Posted by jkull Jul 17, 2009 09:13 AM

Not too sure if Dominguez is on this team, but he plays for Megalomania in Regina.

Comment Posted by spider Jul 17, 2009 10:09 AM

Really! Wow! I wonder if that Guiliford guy who was also with the Bombers then Riders and played a couple years ago is also around. Guiliford would have looked good in an Assassins uniform. Shea would have made a star out of him!

Comment Posted by nicole Jul 19, 2009 05:03 PM

So.....Darrell...where's the post tournament post?!?
Who won each division?? Who were players of the games??

Hope everyone had a fun weekend! Thanks to those who worked hard to organize it...

Comment Posted by spider Jul 19, 2009 06:37 PM

Let me finish Icing!!..man even my two typing fingers hurt!!:)

What a blast! This had to be the most funnest on field tournaments I have ever been involved in. Weather, location, people, schedule, refs, teams, BP, refs, exec, Eagles, Nic,the Regina boys, Anvils, the Black and Gold ladies team....

Just a huge congratulations to the organizers, and the teams. As usual,old friendships were renewed, new friends were made, way too many beers at Boston, (and the playground) were enjoyed, and way too many people stepped up to make it all happen. (I actually want to do this next weekend!)

Oh yeah there was some amazing ball played by just about everybody!

I am not sure who won all the divisions, other than the woman's team in black and gold!(who had the gorgeous brunette,who twisted her ankle and still came out at 9:00am to try and play, but alas, ended up only "cheering," as the ankle was a "no go") They defeated Flashish, (I believe). How Becca and Wendy can ref all day and then play and then help organize the tourney,clean up, pack up,(Happy Birthday Becca!!) beats me, but, after 9 games, they were still sprinting as BJ and HL in the Men's Intermediate final...sprinting....sprinting!!!!(man I am happy I can get out of my chair!!!)How many of those Red Bull did those gals have???

In Intermediate it was "the team that almost couldn't play because the other team they were supposed to merge with jammed out at the last second." They beat the previously UNDEFEATED ANVILS!!!!! Huh! Yes!!! No type-O...the UNDEFEATED Anvils went through the tournament pool like a hot knife through butter, or like Sean Stiff predicting Bomber Games scores!!!(I think he was closest again for Saturday's debacle) The Anvils get my vote as top party team, at Boston!!

OK on that note, how many teams in the WTFL have a Quarterback better than Stephon Lecan't throw. I'll tell ya! 32!!!! The best QB the Bombers have sits in the accountant's office, in the Bomber's clubhouse! Jim Bell puts up more yards in a quarter, than Lecan't throw in 3 games!!!

Yeah well that's old news, how about the accountant's son??? The STUPID BLUE JERKOMBERS, have Canadian kicking talent all over the fricken country, and they go with some American Smurf, who's at best "iffy"

Did you see Trevor Bell, boot those two 65 yard field goals on kickoffs, that hit about 10 yards deep???? Can you say Daa!

How about the UTFL Wiseguys led by Jerry and Ziggy, playing everybody close and only losing out in the semi's??? How about the University of Regina football team who sent some of their stars to be, and who (while losing to all Elite teams, despite not knowing hardly any touch rules,) got better and better, and were easily the class of the tournament.

You have to love young, big, burly, extremely talented, polite, athletes, who "sir" this and "sir" that, and thank you so much it borders on embarassing, and then who have guys that make the most awesome plays.

They made plays that in tackle would be legal, but in "touch" are not, and when flagged for the infraction,were surprised, but, what did they do? Did they try and wine, and tell the refs their knowledge of the game??? Nope..just looked, asked appropriate questions, and when answered, thanked us for the answer. They then used the info to excel, and make better plays. Bisons are at Regina for both team's season opener on Friday of the Labour day weekend. (Cripes I've become a U of Regina fan....)

How about all the spectators??? So many Touch Football legends in attendance...Double D, Lori, three former Assassin legends, Gord Lapointe, Mark Langstaff, and Dan Kinaschuck....Well what do ya expect? Some of the best teams in Winnipeg, plus gorgeous weather, only two mosquitos(which I killed..sorry greenpeace..or whoever)....what a weekend!

There's so many great plays and players, but this post is long enough, and now I am starting to cramp up. (time for more beer)..ouch, ouch...geez Nicole!!!:)

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com