Forums » General » Craze Play # 19

Messages for Craze Play # 19

Comment Posted by spider Sep 09, 2010 06:52 PM

An oldie but a goodie......... again, happened a couple weeks ago in one of those interleague matchups.

Receiver A4 goes low to the ground and is sliding on it while he makes the catch. Just after he gains possession,Defender B3 swoops in for the touch, "swipes" a hand over top of A4, but does not touch A4.

You are there! What's the call?

Comment Posted by captainwoody Sep 09, 2010 07:13 PM

I'm going to say that what "should" be called is that there is no tag, and the receiver can continue running until he is legitimately touched.
However, I have blown the whistle on these plays and called it a tag. I'm actually not sure what the correct ruling is.

Comment Posted by jkull Sep 10, 2010 06:37 AM

Depends on which league I guess. I know that the WTFL has changed the rule over the years. Now, the only time that it would be whistled dead in the W is if B3 jumps over A4 to avoid the collision. Otherwise, play on. The UTFL however now has the old rule back in place where if you simply wave your arm over a downed opponent, it's blown dead. I didn't know this myself until Mr. Rhoden explained it to me in my last game.

So, I guess it depends who hosted the game.

Comment Posted by spider Sep 13, 2010 05:28 PM

Dang!

The rule as we use in the WTFL says that in the case I cited, the play would not be whistled as a tag. B3 has not jumped over or touched A4 and is therefore not awarded a touch.

The key factor in awarding a touch,when one has not occurred, is that the defender jumps over or, in some other manner, avoids a colision with, the ball carrier, and in doing so, gives up the opportunity to make a touch.

A further comment says that sideline officials should exercise more caution when calling attempted touches which occur when the ball carrier tries to avoid touches coming from defenders who are running across the field. Too often the sideline official will call a touch when the defender reaches out but the back umpire and the HR clearly see one foot of daylight between the defenders hand and the ball carrier (Happended tonite in the Assassins/Doggs game!!)

Similarly, all officials should exercise better judgement when determining if a lateral has left the passer's hand before the touch occurred. Too many officials are trigger happy under such circumstances. Make sure the ball is still in the hand when the touch occurs before you blow the play dead! :)

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com