Forums » General » Charing Cross games now at HS Paul

Messages for Charing Cross games now at HS Paul

Comment Posted by marcus Jul 31, 2006 10:08 AM

The field at Charing Cross is pretty beat up. We're moving all games until HS Paul until further notice.

thanks

Comment Posted by Woody Jul 31, 2006 04:54 PM

Just wondering where exactly HS PAul is located?

Comment Posted by marcus Jul 31, 2006 07:59 PM

If you go to the schedule page and click on the link titled HS Paul, you'll get a map and address information.

Comment Posted by marcus Jul 31, 2006 08:14 PM

ok I added a menu option on the left called "fields". You can get a list of all the fields we use there, as well as the maps.

Comment Posted by Snatch Aug 01, 2006 07:30 AM

hey, i had a game at HS paul last night and i must say that no matter how bad the fields are at charring cross, they cant be half as bad as hs paul. There are 4 huge holes down the middle of the field. one near each end zone and two in the middle, and one of our players rolled his ankle pretty bad in one of them. just a suggestion but i think we should either move back to charring cross, or maybe to another field close by, ex George McDowell. or anywhere else because HS paul is terrible.

Comment Posted by mbender Aug 01, 2006 07:36 AM

I agree, that field blows. When we played our "half game" vs the Nomads last week there was a few players who were concerned about running patterns or dropping into coverage because of a mine field of sprinkler heads, big gopher holes etc.... George Mcdowell isn't the best field out there but it is 100% better than HS Paul.

Comment Posted by avengers Aug 01, 2006 07:57 AM

George McDowell is being resurfaced by the city, therefore that field is not an option.

Jon

Comment Posted by Snatch Aug 01, 2006 08:29 AM

well if george mcdowell isnt an option, the league should definitely look into finding one. HS paul really isnt just a crappy field (West end zone slants up), but it really is dangerous. i'm no miss Cleo, but i foresee a major injury, complete with hefty insurance claim, stemming from playing on that crap.

Comment Posted by marcus Aug 01, 2006 11:02 AM

We are not planning on staying at HS Paul, it is supposed to be temporary.

Comment Posted by Norm Aug 01, 2006 11:09 AM

What happenned with the rugby park? Those fields were so bad.

Comment Posted by spider Aug 01, 2006 12:11 PM

Norm is that a type -o? What are you trying to say? Are the fields bad so we should go back there? or we shouldn't. Quit drinking before you post!

Why don't you just keep the games at Charring Cross? Phone a landscaping company for a couple yards of dirt and fill in the holes. Cost $ a couple hundred bucks. At least they wil bring it immediately

Same with HS paul, if it has holes.

(The city should do this. However, Snow will be on the ground before they do it. )

If it's a lack of grass, well, guess what, hardly any field has grass after this summer's drought.

George McD.- Has the city done anything? If not that would be a good place to go.

Everybody throw a shovel into your trunk, and between 20 guys, those holes and uneven areas could be filled in 10 minutes.

Comment Posted by Norm Aug 02, 2006 04:01 AM

Yeah, I screwed that one up.

Those fields weren't so bad..

Comment Posted by spider Aug 02, 2006 04:53 AM

Your post may have had a mistake in it, but the OC team you have put together, sure isn't making many mistakes! OC Div 3 winners!

Since TOC is going to be played at maple Grove, I was wondering if we were going to be embarassed by holding it there(as you said the fields were not in good shape)Thanks for clarifying!

If only we had a line marker to line those fields. Last year when I reffed there,the lines were not marked on occassion. (pet peeve of mine)Lines on a field seem to add to the ease of playing and reffing, don't they.

Comment Posted by Norm Aug 02, 2006 05:03 AM

Thanks Darrell, but we still have alot of work to do.

The best field I have seen is Vince Leah, lots and lots of nice green grass, but its only used for soccer.

I am sure Maple Grove will be in good shape for the TOC. Looking forward to it.

Norm
OC # 4

Comment Posted by kilokid Aug 05, 2006 03:21 PM

HS PAUL is by far the worst field I have seen...I have spoken to members of other teams and am aware of at least one player hurting his ankle due to the large holes (he is out min. 3 weeks) Surely there is at least one field in the city that we can find to use...doesnt optimist park have more than one field...

Comment Posted by Snatch Aug 05, 2006 04:33 PM

make that 2 players. our safety hurt his ankle on that field last week. he is also a quarterback for a team in new team division, so he's kinda crucial, and now he's out past the all star break. any other field will do. c'mon league, this is well-being of your players were talking about here. isn't there anything that can be done?

Derek
#10 South Side Trojans

Comment Posted by scott Aug 06, 2006 05:51 AM

Like Mazur said, we could all just bring a shovel's amount from our, or our neighbors garden and the job will be done. I'll take care of it today. This is OUR WTFL, and everyone should step up when the time comes.

Scott

Comment Posted by ging11 Aug 06, 2006 07:36 AM

No offence Scott but thats not a very good idea. There are plenty of fields available within the city its just a matter of looking for them. There is no reason ANY of us should be put at risk of being hurt for football and work because we chose a terrible field as a substitue.

Adam

Comment Posted by jkull Aug 06, 2006 08:07 AM

Adam, name the fields available. There aren't many that have proper end zones, or are they available through the city. This has been an issue for years. If you think you can do a better job getting the fields, I'm sure the executive would love to have your help.

Comment Posted by scott Aug 06, 2006 10:41 AM

I did what I could. Hope we don't need the in the centre any longer.

Scott

Comment Posted by scott Aug 06, 2006 10:44 AM

missed the word Pilons in the last post.

Comment Posted by spider Aug 06, 2006 01:06 PM

Hey Scott, Were you also drunk when you filled in the holes?

Seriously, Thanks for steppin up. I was lookin around for dirt, because I just put a shovel in my car to go help out. Looks like your actions beat my words. That's awesome!

And to Adam. I get the fields from the city. So....what are ya talkin about? I went through a huge post on this earlier.

Your comments are totally ignorant. Totally!

"a matter for looking for them..." Well go ahead.

It sure is easy to sit back and criticize and do F*ck all.
Sorry Marcus, go aherad and delete this one too!

Comment Posted by spider Aug 06, 2006 06:46 PM

OK, I had a little time tonight,and found a great location, just south of Charring Cross on Dakota and Aldgate? Ecole Lesperance school.

There is a huge open area, that looks like it may be a future sight for goal posts. But none yet. They are sort of arranged with trees as borders(between fields)

We would have to line it, and get a permit from P and R,or the school div. but there is room for 3 fields.

If we need three more fields for TOC there they are, 2 minutes away from maple Grove(just past the Sobeys) on Dakota and Burland?

Comment Posted by Byatch Aug 07, 2006 08:24 AM

How about Lavalee school along St.Annes Rd and Beliveau, just North of Bishop Grandin. They have goal posts and grass and it's in decent shape.

As well, Hastings School off of Pulberry has another good field.

Thurston

Comment Posted by spider Aug 07, 2006 09:07 AM

You now I drive by some of those fields we have talked about, and my stomach or something actually aches, as to why we can't secure them for our games.

We should be like those original days of the league. Just go find a field a and play.

Lavallee, was one that Cliff scoped out, but again apparently soccer had it, and it was the same old story. The guy treated it like Lebanon and Israel treat "their" territory.

I know Cliff has tried many times but after a while it gets very very frustrating.

Cliff has scoped out the new Transcona site being developed, and the exec, gave the go ahead to be involved with developing two fields there for our use as primary tenants.

So the league is working on "stuff" but it sure is frustrating to have to play on places like HS Paul, Optimist and CC that are uneven and hard as rock.

What about going to the city and asking to take over Sir John Franklin, or Clifton, as they are being closed down as CC's. ?? I'll e-mail the permits guy and ask

But really checkout Ecole L'esperance on Dakota and Aldgate? (Just by the Sobeys at Dakota and Warde.

Comment Posted by marcus Aug 07, 2006 10:31 AM

The league has not given the go ahead on any developments of 2 fields. That project is still at the discussion phase. I'm sure something of that magnitude would have to be decided at the AGM.

Comment Posted by kilokid Aug 07, 2006 03:13 PM

I understand and appreciate the problems with finding fields...however, it isnt that this field is uneven or hard as rock as we could live with that....this field is dangerous, and I just don't think we whould be forced to play on it....I'm not sure what the answer is.......also....I may be mistaken but I thought soccer started up for the most part in September?.....

Comment Posted by Token Aug 07, 2006 05:03 PM

Soccer may start up in September, but they don't want their fields torn up during the summer. A summer full of football games is tough on any field, I mean, Charing Cross didn't get in the condition it is in naturally.

As any exec will tell you, it is not easy getting the permission to use fields, plus the process of securing one is very time consuming. The entire exec is made up of UNPAID volunteers, who put in countless hours doing everything from trying to accomodate ludicrous schedule requests to working on field problems (not to mention their day jobs).

No one is happy with HS Paul (including the exec), and I"m sure they are working on the situation. So unless you go out yourself and find us a field, cut them some freakin slack and give them a little time to figure something out.

Mike

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com