Forums » General » MVP ? How about Rookie of the Year

Messages for MVP ? How about Rookie of the Year

Comment Posted by bernie_t Nov 14, 2006 04:27 PM

Ok Darrel. MVP. That’s a hard one this year. Maybe to hard? So let me throw this out. Nominations for Rookie of the Year. Might even be a MVP candidate. My vote goes to "Freez" as in Chris Friesen. Assassins Rusher. League leader in sacks, 3 time MVP in Regina. And after all the bad %$#@ you laid down on our defense after a poor indoor season. Chris was one of the biggest reasons the Assassins had a great season and even better nationals. Not to mention he is a little nuts (Prerequisite for a rusher). We may have to channel all that into some cover D next year… Look out!!!! Great year Freez.

Comment Posted by spider Nov 14, 2006 06:45 PM

MVP might be too hard. Yup!

Rookie of the Year? Yeah good idea!

Did Chris play Indoor? I didn't notice him! Yeah he had a good year! 3 MVP's in Regina? Really? Yes he is certainly the best Assassin rusher in the last twenty years (since Brad stopped rushing)

Yeah you are right about a good rusher making the D better! What a great point!!

Too bad about next year though! Do you think the Assassins will make it to their 30th anniversary in two years? What with all the losses of players through retirement and move aways?

However, if that former NFL/CFL guy comes through, it won't matter,what happens on D, you guys will win by outscoring everyone. I hear you have another guy already lined up for rusher!

How do you guys do it?

Comment Posted by ross Nov 19, 2006 03:14 PM

the rookie of the year should goto justin ross in new team div he's never played touch before and lead the leauge in points untill the last few games of the season and could probably play in higher divs

Comment Posted by mbender Nov 20, 2006 06:24 AM

I don't know what the qualifications would be for "Rookie of the year" but a few players that I could think in their first year of outdoor in the WTFL would be Dave Olynik who up to this point only played indoors with the Urban Animals but Dave had a 90 yard Int for a TD against the Hurricanes, also a game winning 60 yard int against the eventual 3rd division Champs NO D. Dave also had numerous highlight reel 1 handed catches and interceptions, I'm sure a few referee's could agree that some of dave's one handed catches left them stunned. Unfortunately Dave has the attention span of a 3 year old and will tune out at times :) but he did make some remarkable plays on both sides of the ball for someone who never played a single down of organized tackle or touch football outdoors till this year.

Omar "Blur" Dwyer, lead the OC and 3rd division in Sacks. This was I believe his rookie year in the WTFL and I think that like the Assassin rusher deserves a bit of props.

Ferand "Puff" Dopwell also deserves some consideration, Not only did he lead his team in Sacks but he did have an interception ( I believe for a TD? I could be wrong) when he deflected a ball to himself from the rush position. He also was the Best OC player in Regina (I know that doesn't count) but for a first year WTFL player I think that should get props.

Marty B
OC QB #18
Referee

Comment Posted by Kelsey Nov 20, 2006 08:20 AM

OK-I dont want to start any kind of agruements or anything....but....

It would be my opinion that the WTFL mvp should be an elite player.

It is also my opinion that every year Timmy throws for the Assassins, he is a shoe in for the award.

I also think that Action Jackson has a fair shot at this title. I mean leading the scoring race in 3 divs...come on now!

Having said that...I agree with Bern-my vote for MVP of the league this year is Chris Freisen. The Assassins rusher. NOT only did he win 3/5 mvp awards at the regina tourney, he solidified the provincal champions defense. He was a stud throughout TOC, and a major player in our big semi final win.

Oh did I mention he was the leagues fastest man??

and who doesnt love a guy who drinks ONLY Jack Daniels on the rocks?

Comment Posted by spider Nov 21, 2006 01:07 PM

Kelsey, Kelsey, Kelsey.....Have you been hittin the sauce, at 2:00pm?....don't want to start any arguments???puhlease!!!!!

MVP an elite player only???? C'mon K-Dog, there are other levels of the food chain. Why I remember your first sojurn into the touch world a few years ago at Gateway, playing for that Rods "D" team with Grandpa Shea throwing to some rogue offensive guard, and the other St. James low lifes, his kid hung around with.

C'mon big man! there is talent down there in them thar hills! Marty mentioned one of the Urban Animals who have a few guys that are fun to watch. Let those boys play a couple more sessions and watch out!!

Now in your post, (which I now have had to read 3 times...man stay on topic, )who you pickin? the afro haired dress socked rookie, or the perennial MVP, the legend, T.B. Shea?

Huh? You are not making a persuasive point here my man!Geez if we had to vote you might have just set the stage for a split in some voters and cancelled those two out!!! Mang!!!!What have you been smokin homey???

But of course......
T. Shea is the MVP.!!!! Doh!

He probably is the MVP in Canada if you think about it. Geez, imagine that,..... the guy, "Mengele" Shea (don't ask!)really is a living legend, and most of the Province doesn't even mention him, when talk of MVP is discussed.

Of course not.

This thread would be over!!!

However.......with that split, you just mayhave hituponsomething!!!????.....(cue the music, from Monday night Football and Chris Bermann's highlights, dun dun dun... you know , "he could ....go...all.. the waaaaaay), allowing yes the unheralded, and defensive guys that Never-ever win, but maybe this guy I am thinking about, should, the master defensive guru, the cook, the Chef, the Mix master, the Italian Stallion, the "I am retiring this year," the one, the only, Daniel Mac's greatest football player..... Bernie Toronno!!!

I mean he's the master architect of the 2nd best team in Canada's defence. Which was not allowed to play with it's recruits, mind you, while 15 other teams were, including the bad sports who reputedly initiated the fiasco.

Bern, as I have said,in a couple other posts in the past....when a defensive leader calls a defense,and then says, "watch this...I have set the "D" up so the QB will think one thing, but we will really be in something else, and "Dave" will intercept this.".....and then Dave does intercept the pass, just as Bern called it!!!!

Man, that guy is money.....AND....he has done it for a variety of players!!!!Plus when you havesomeof the cowboysthe Assassins have on D....????, could you imagine what he could do with a team of athletes???? (ask the Avengers about last years reffing clinic scrimmage....they didn't get over center field for the entire 90 minutes!!!!)

Now you want to talk about M.V.P.!!!???? He's da man!

Bernie and I will be hosting a Defensive Captains clinic in January, at the Dome January 19th. 10:30pm. Pre-Registration fee is $ 50.00, until January 15th, (add $25.00 late fee after that) and will include a Defensive systems manual, theory session, actual "on field" defensive set up, and then observation time to use two teams to run defences, and look for what they take away and what they give up. I'll supply the "pops" after the session, along with a complimentary clinic t- shirt.

Now, that is the best choice for MVP!

Comment Posted by nomads Nov 21, 2006 07:11 PM

Spidey: You didn't have to talk so much to say that Tim(getting a belly) is the MVP of the last 25 years as was Doug Flutie for the CFL. This guy should be enshrined in gold as far as I'm concerned.
Glen

Comment Posted by Kelsey Nov 24, 2006 08:37 AM

D-when you say MVP what does that mean? When you say MVP of the WTFL, what does that mean?

I know damn well there is alot of talent out there, ALOT!! AND dont get me wrong, I'm not dissin any lower div-I love football period, I dont care what level your playing at---BUT your not talking about the mvp for div 1 div2 or div3...I mean your talking about the WHOLE league. SO, do you ask yourself-what does this player do to help his team win? HOW is this player the MOST valuable player to THEIR respected teams. THEN you look at how the season went, and HOW that player helped their team win.

Obviously Bernie and Timmy get my 100% of my vote. I love bernie like a brother(dad haha)-but timmy's throwin me the ball....soooo....ya know ;)

THOSE two aside-tell me another player in the league who helped their team MORE than Freisen did? Not only did he lead div1 in sacs, he lead the entire league. NOT only did we win the regina tourny-HE got 3/5 MVP awards.

Does that not say anything at all?? Did anyone in a lower div do anything similar?

OHH and did i mention that he won the wtfl's fastest man this year?

come on now-give my jack drinkin, long haired hippie brother some LOVE BABY!!

Comment Posted by spider Nov 25, 2006 11:53 AM

C'mon Homer!!
Nice job on the caps.(thought I was readin a UT post there for a second!! :))
Do you even know there are other teams out there?

Wha about Action Jackson..... he lead 3 divisions in scoring.plus dresses way better than anyone else!

What about Jon "18 team" Franklin. He made a ton of teams happen, plus next to Z and the urban Animal boyshasthe best looking girlfriend around!

What about Marty Bender, who finally gave the North End some rspectability, finally after 25 years, leading OC to a great season. (Bender and Franklin must go scouring street and playgrounds for players. Man do you even see all the good players they got????)

What about the fossil, Ron Allen who lead Bender and OC???
Huh? eh? Huh? what do ya say about that bag-pipe boy!!!???
Bag pipes???? over football??? Ya never saw Coulter given up football for curling!!!Oh wait a minute....

Sun Party boys where's that MVP prize?

Comment Posted by Kelsey Nov 27, 2006 08:03 AM

Out of those players you mentioned....who won their respected divisions? I dont think(?) any of them did. (other than Wayne, as an assassin) By no means is that a knock-I mean D, you watch all the games...you know who the studs are- I'm just a little bias towards my main man but I think with good cause.

when was the last time you've heard of someone winning 3/5 mvp awards in a touch football tourney?

and listen there tough guy-Dudes in kilts get the chicks alright! so ease up boy....I figured I'd give Timmy a chance to play some D!!!and if you ask nicely, and maybe launch chris into his wtfl mvp stardom-I'll maybe wear my kilt for you...but just you-aight big guy!!!!

Comment Posted by spider Nov 27, 2006 01:31 PM

awwriiiighhhhtttt1!

Chris is da man. Chris is da man! (That's the best offer I had in years!)But... you have to show up and get Mengele off the field. I know I walk funny,but he's still tryin to run. No wonder no one can tag him,he almost falls down on his dekes, only they ain't dekes!!!

Yeah Chris and the MVP's does rate. Also playin on a championship team holds water also! Good point.

What's with all you Assassin guys bein Irish??? You, Shea, Dave....???

Comment Posted by Matty Nov 27, 2006 03:29 PM

Hey Kelsey.. I won 4 in the 2001 Regina tourney : )

Comment Posted by Kelsey Nov 27, 2006 05:57 PM

Irish? I take small offence to that. It's definitally better than being called English, thats for sure. BUT D I'm, SCOTTISH dude SCOTTISH!!! and there is a difference.

2001 eh-Was that your Rookie year Matty? (but well done buddy, impressive!)

Comment Posted by spider Nov 27, 2006 06:05 PM

heh! heh!I know,but Dave?

Comment Posted by Matty Nov 28, 2006 04:05 AM

It was my first year traveling with the Assassins : ).. and first tourney with Tim Shea... I don't think I ve ever connected with a quarterback like that before.. never played with him before that tourney.. and it was like we d been playing together for 10 yrs... I dont think he ever threw an errant ball... he could have easily won those MVPs.

Chris.

Comment Posted by Matty Nov 28, 2006 04:09 AM

sorry my mistake, was my second Regina tourney with the Assassins, I won 3 MVPs in 2000, have the T shirts to prove it : )...

Chris

Comment Posted by jkull Nov 28, 2006 04:13 AM

I think I won 3 last year too. C'mon Kelse, keep up with the history here.

Comment Posted by Kelsey Nov 28, 2006 07:41 AM

Like a previous post-If the right people had a say, Tim would be MVP every year.

I remember that Kull-you played a hell of a tourney. Was that your rookie year in touch?(lol)

COME on boys-(especially you two)I got mad love for you both-but damn...give chris some props. That was his FIRST year playing ANY kind of football!!

Comment Posted by mbender Nov 28, 2006 07:54 AM

Originally I replied to this thread because it was for Rookies of the year. but to answer a few comments

Kelsey : I was wondering in the sport of football, how often is an MVP elected from a team that won? I mean Shaun Alexander was the MVP in the NFL last year but Seattle never won, throw in Peyton Manning, Steve McNair and Rich Gannon (the last 3 - 4 NFL MVP's who don't have super bowls) I know you weren't dissing anyone that Mazur listed and I do agree with you that Mr. Shea is a phenom and when you think of the Assassins he is probably the 1st or 2nd name that comes to mind but my point is not every MVP has to be on team that won it all.

Franklin was a good choice as he makes every team he plays for that much better offensively with his uncanny throwing style and catchable passes, He brings alot to the tablelike Mr. Shea does but one guy that if you want to go by the Big K's definiton of a possible MVP (who won a championship this year) would be and should get some props regardless is Martin Windus of NO D, he is pretty much the Triple threat of that team, He lead his team in picks as he is the best defender on that squad, He finished 2nd in the division in TD passes thrown and definitely is the leader of the team on both sides of the ball. Take away his Leadership, his stats (Inteceptions and Quarterbacking Skills) and I don't think they are as strong or win a championship with out some of his talent.

I know some will say you can't compare divisions and if it ain't "elite" it shouldn't be mentioned and hey I applaude What the Assassins did this year was truly amazing in regards to Regina, their WTFL championship and of course the finals of TOC but I was just thinking the thread was about the guy most valuable to his team in the "WTFL"

Tim Shea would be great choice but I think Windus might be a close 2nd.

ps
I think Mazur was drinking on his pain killer med's again and ringing up a 700 dollar bill for listing my name in the MVP thread but thanks for the props anyways Darrell.

Comment Posted by spider Nov 28, 2006 02:58 PM

Marty, Marty, Marty,

I don't give things away.

The props you got from me are earned!!!deserved! I have seen you develop over the last couple of years. Now, in addition to playing, you are a great writer off the field, with a great perspective on both league's operation. Furthermore, unlike others, who only play the game, (and give very little back,) you have become a well respected ref, these past few years, as well!

I think I also noted a few years go, that if you ever went out and got yourself some receivers, you'd experience a ton more victories. I am not sure who put OC together, BUT, now you have that. I would guess defensively, you guys need some more help, as do most touch teams (see Assassins from the past 27 years,....been there done that) When that happens, OC should be competing with the top 3 or 4 in Manitoba.I am betting you guys would aproach a "500"record or at least approach it, this next outdoor season. (Hmmmm, maybe Indoor Elite could be used to gauge where OC is at?)

Never mind the self doubt BS, (every person has that), never mind the negative thoughts, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead, nothing ventured nothing gained, and of course, the greater the risk,...the greater the reward.

Two Indoor seasons ago, the Avengers had all kinds of the "BS negative" thoughts, about playing the Assassins Indoors. Their first game the Avengers almost won. You could see it in Franklin's eyes and hear it in his voice, after the game....he didn't think they lost by 4 points (or whatever it was), they just ran out of time. The rest is history.

So, Mistah Bender, "Life is a trip!!" Are you and OC ready for the journey to the upper reaches of the touch league level?(yeah I know you might have to add a few pieces, but doesn't everyone?)

So, as I stated, in my opinion, contrary to my dysfunctional Irish buddy :)(OK Kelsey...Scottish..what do they wear under kilts????....and it's not me that's asking it was Brad!!!)the MVP, is definitly a multi-talented award. The contributions and growth of one Mistah Bender, has been synonymous with that of OC. AND OC's year was pretty good. Lot's of Steppin up. Great players, great recruitin, pretty good playing.

So, therefore, your inclusion as an MVP candidate has merit. And certainly, as an all rounded candidate, not just as a player. That sir, is really what an MVP is!

Drinking and on pain killers is frowned upon......OK so where's Jack and my bottle of pills?

Oh and when you play the Assassins, in Indoor...tell Jackson he has to play for OC. We can sign you boys up in Div 2, have crossovers and make it all leagal so RB won'be emailing me from Regina, complaining. (Of course that might sacrifice your new team div gig, but....make a Razorback legends team, with a couple of chicks and a kid, and wecan make it work!)

MVP, MVP, MVP

Awright "Homer,".....er Kelse, what else ya got?

Comment Posted by jkull Nov 28, 2006 06:37 PM

Hey Kelse, I'm just pulling you leg. Chris is bar none the rookie of the year in the WTFL. I don't care what people say about a rusher deserving it, but to do what he did in his first year of touch was pretty special. Aside from showing up to the final late.

Make sure you show up to football Friday :)

Comment Posted by oldred Nov 29, 2006 01:27 AM

I agree with the Italian Stallion and Handlebar Grey (though I hate to admit it).
Freeze was a complete game changer. He messed up so many offences it was a thing of beauty. If I had known that he was going to make so many QB's wet their drawers I would have bought shares in Depend. It was a pleasure to behold. And didn't he also return a kickoff back for a TD - though that was all the pitch. Another great thing about Freeze was his attitude. His laid back nature really kept everybody relaxed as well as kept some people frantic. If he keeps at the game he will be a dominant player at whatever position he chooses. Not bad for a wolsely whore

Also hats off to K-Dog for starting a thread this year that went over 100. Just like last year - holy shite flickr boy is a madman. Wait till T-Cat comes back - madness, utter madness

Comment Posted by Matty Nov 29, 2006 04:30 AM

sorry was just responding to your quote.

"when was the last time you've heard of someone winning 3/5 mvp awards in a touch football tourney?"

Didn t see anything about being a rookie.... my bad...

Chris definately deserved those MVPs though... he was a huge turning point for us in alot of big games... And its been along time since I actually looked for a guy to pitch to...( usually i like to hold onto the ball )... but i knew if i could get the ball into Chris's hands on a kick off... things might happen...For a guy thats never played the game before.. he was definately exciting to watch... Just wait for him to actually get experience at rush... and get to know the QBs around the nation... with Brad tutoring him... he could be the all time rush king... if he has the longevity of a Brad Kelm or Ronnie Arnold.

I ll definately toss in my vote for rookie of the year... most impressive when your first year is in elite as well.. and you dominate your position.

Chris.

Comment Posted by Grizzled Old Vet Nov 29, 2006 06:17 AM

Maybe Ronnie Allen instead of Ronnie Arnold......

Comment Posted by Kelsey Nov 29, 2006 08:01 AM

Wosely whore? flickr madman?
I guess thats better than being called Irish. AND I CANT wait until T-Cat is back....WOW!!

Good point about MVP's not winning. I never thought about it that way. Windus is a hell of a player-definitally up there as far as making a difference on his team. NOW-I dont want to start any fights or anything ;) but Franklin? seriously? Uncanny throwing style...how about Jon the allmighty duck launcher? (easy buddy-lots of love here.) I understand he plays in ALL of the divs, and good for him. According to Z, he has a 'very smart football mind'. as far as mvp....ummm-NO.

How about earls before fridays game? anyone?? or am I going to have to sit and look at all the pretty girls by myself....again.

for those interested in my flickr addiction:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelseywilliam

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com