Forums » General » Perception vs.reality??? Evolution Baby?

Messages for Perception vs.reality??? Evolution Baby?

Comment Posted by spider Jul 02, 2007 10:35 PM

Harumpphh!

Remember that from that old cartoon?

Big thanks to the refs who came out to the 2nd half draft of games, during this past long weekend. We drafted Head ref assignments on Friday, and it only took 3 hours, and this past Monday we did the BJ and HL assignments, and that took 2.5 hours.

Congrats to all those who sent in their availability and those who attended.

In the second half we have only 16% of the assignments vacant.

I have to give a large amount of thanks to two guys who went to a lot of trouble to make the schedule available, and who will get the assignments filled. Wayne Harmon on Friday and Todd Rhoden on Monday.

Of course the scheduller Jon Franklin, set it all up. Great work guys.

I noticed a couple of problems, though. We have a ton of games and only a few guys working them. In an earlier post I noticed and noted, we lost 7 Head Refs this past season,for a variety of reasons. So we have a shortage of those guys.

To solve it, we are going to fast track our new guys, and get them promoted.

One of my co-horts says to solve the problem, we have to limit the # of teams. I originally said I disagreed....however....

No before I would do that, I would seek council with that wise old sage Brad Kelm, who reffed last weekend in Kingston, along with Blue Sweats Guy, Cliff Kitchen. .....OK I already hasd heard whatthey had to say on the state of Touch Football Nationally.....compared to us Western hicks.

Of note was the fact that:

1.) we are the only province that plays 20 minute quarters.
2.) I also suspect we are the only league that gives it's teams a high number of games (18, plus playoffs)
3.) In the TOC(Ontario/Quebec) it seems that the philosophy (and it is a correct one)is to provide all it's league teams with a minimum number of games. (say 14 game league schedule) And if you think about it.....don't you get tired of playing that same team in your division 3 or 4 times and beat them by 20 everytime??? The answer should be yes.

Therefore, would it not do your team better, if you could play someone of a different ilk, or a better team? Again, the answer is yes. How to accomplish this? Tournaments. So down East, they have 5 or 6 tournaments, in which a team has to enter two tournaments, to qualify for Provincials, and for Tournament of Champions.

This policy seems to provide a way for boththe non- serious teams to get their 14 games schedule in, but, also allows for higher caliber ball to develop, through it's elective tournament play. It also allows the development of the game throughout the province, and even officials development.

In the West we could easily do the same, using Regina, and reviving touch football in Brandon, or wherever, as well, as a couple in Winnipeg.

I don't know...but it looks like it's time for a change. Currently, the WTFL provides for a lot of football. But, I think only it is due to a couple of great volunteers, we are getting this year in, and getting by. Can we manage to do it this way? or do we have to fine tune it?

Do you know what the answer was?

Less games and a little shorter quarters?
Perception vs.reality??? Evolution Baby? What do you think?

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Jul 03, 2007 08:54 AM

4) We're the only province that allows players to play on multiple teams.
5) We're the biggest league in canada with respect to number of teams. Other leagues cap their teams, or reside in cities with more stuff to do I guess.

I haven't figured out how Winnipeg can support 2 leagues with 60+ teams and a full indoor season with 50+ as well. Football/slurpee capital of the world is right here.

I only bring this up because if we want to model after other successful leagues, why not look at everything they do (or don't do).

If we're voting, I like the idea of a shorter season with some tournaments. I like that Trillium cup that they do out east and I'd like to see western/central Canada have something similar. But is that less volunteer time? I doubt it, since organizing tournaments is a TON of work.

It is time for a change. I'd say it's time for a huge change. But shorter quarters? You do that already with the Wazer (that's the short term for WTFL Time Razor - aka shaving time for the kids in the back).

Comment Posted by jkull Jul 03, 2007 09:03 AM

Wazer....that is priceless!!

I think something has to be done as well. Either shorter season or capping the teams. Bigger isn't always the best. I personally would rather an efficient well run league than a league trying that's still to figure out who will ref the next game.

No disrespect meant to any of the executive. You guys do a great job, but the task of running the league in my opinion is just too large.

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Jul 03, 2007 09:06 AM

Hey the Wazer(TM) is trademarked. You'll owe me 2 cents every time you wanna use it. :)

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Jul 03, 2007 09:12 AM

Ok I also can't spell.
It should be Wazor not Wazer. Both are now trademarked.

"cocaine's a hell of a drug" - Rick James

Comment Posted by spider Jul 03, 2007 10:47 AM

Yeah Wazor is OK but its sounds alot like mazur, and of course why am I inolved in this "nickname" I haven't head reffed for two years!! (back next though!!) I mean maybe Bradzor or Kelmzor or something, but.....Wazor Waht's the "a" for?

I think as an experienced organizer of Touch football, I could easily get a crew of 4-6 people to do these tournaments. They are intense? short, dynamic, fun, but "FINITE" I mean if you want a weekend off and a couple weekedays for a break, for a "vacation", tournament choices, would facilitate it. Players would get their weekends free for the Lake(if they chose) and still have a game a week!

Currently we have a great group of refs, Brad Wayne, Lionel, Todd, Dallas, Chris, and Derrick who are going to Ref a ton of games. Going the tourney route would give those guys an option for a break. Out of town tourneys would develop guys in Winkler and Brandon and Dryden. Plus using Regina, more options.

I think from an organizational point of view, it would be easier. I stand corrected in that original post. The UT already has less games,and originally shorter quarters. I think they were onto something (Good one Gerr!)

Of course the other options are to get more of you to come out and Ref, but I am sick of begging, I mean that's like trying to sell something for fundraising..

The point is it is your the members league. And as a returning exec, this year, I see how hard Todd and Jon and Wayne and Wendy work at making their thing happen. They are dedicated, "take no prisoners" Thank God we got them. Without them, and the Wayner and Scott's commitment to organizational duties, you would be losing games, and the league would not be s good as it is.

Who else thinks the league is too long? and the games a touch too much (time)

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com