Forums » General » Pissed Off!!! Dangerous Plays

Messages for Pissed Off!!! Dangerous Plays

Comment Posted by Woody Jul 28, 2008 07:55 AM

First of I want to clarify the situation and ensure that all who read this know that this post is not meant to be vindictive or slanderous as I will not mention names or teams. I realize that we all want to win and compete every down. Also, I may not agree with every call made I want to say that I have a great deal of respect for the refs in this league. They work hard at what they do, especially when there are only 2.

My concern here is dangerous plays. The situation in question included an out and up route and a corner by the offence, this put 2 defenders and 2 offensive players in relatively same vicinity my defender was very close but behind, the other defender was further away. When I put my arms up in the air to catch the ball, the other defender dove in the air striking me in the back resulting in a broken rib - as a result, no sports for 4 weeks... not to mention doc said that if the rib had moved there is a good chance that it could have punctured my lung. There was no penalty called on the play as the ref explained to one of my teammates that "he was going for the ball".

My contention here is that often the refs are providing warnings about rough tags and ensuring that we come in on a play under control. Offensive players are given a penalty for dangerous play if they leave their feet to gain yards (i.e. dive forward). Why is there no penalty for a defensive player diving into a crowd of players or just an opposition player? I know the defensive player in this situation and I am sure there was no intent to injure on the play, but that doesn't change the fact of the situation, not being on your feet is not under control.

There is no doubt that I am extremely pissed off about the situation and not looking forward to the next 4 weeks and if you think I'm whining you know what you can do!

The sole intent of this email is to ensure that this (or worse) doesn't happen to another player. I really believe that the league has to look at and insitute some form of rule that will prevent defenders from leaving their feet in a dangerous situation (i.e. where contact with another player may occur). If there is a rule in place then refs need to be more strict in enforcing it. We'll see you in 4 weeks!

Comment Posted by nomads Jul 28, 2008 06:24 PM

Little baby got hurt Oh too bad. Go play tidly winks it's safer.
Glen

Comment Posted by Woody Jul 29, 2008 11:43 AM

Hey Glen,

I can tell by your response that you are a highly intelligent individual... Very classy!

Comment Posted by Ostar Jul 29, 2008 12:14 PM

Its ok woody. Glen wouldn't understand this since u would have to play on a team to get hurt and nobody wants him.

Comment Posted by nomads Jul 29, 2008 07:06 PM

I don't have to be intellegent because I'm dealing with dopes.Poor little baby.And nobody want's me. Poor me.
Glen

Comment Posted by seanbest Jul 29, 2008 09:21 PM

It makes sense! If an offensive player diving for more yardage is a penalty, then a defensive player leaving his feet should be a penalty as well! Maybe that's something that the "powers that be" can look into for next year.

Comment Posted by Jyuen Jul 30, 2008 06:39 AM

On the same toke a player can dive to catch a ball but that's not considered a penalty? I'm on the fence with this one. You either take the diving out completely or you let it happen. There's inconsistency in all of this if you can't dive to get those critical yards but you can dive to make a tag, dive to make a catch or in this situation dive into a crowd to prevent a reception. On the same token if you take this out, you also severely neuter the game IMO.

Comment Posted by mikey2014 Jul 30, 2008 08:57 AM

I don't post on here...ever. But this time I must. Woody - your situation is an unfortunate one, and I can feel your pain being out of the lineup for a month. However, one accident resulting from poorly designed routes cannot warrant an entire rule change that will basically take the 'football' out of the WTFL. Injuries happen for a variety of reasons - I'm sure we've all seen two players collide during a crossing route - should we ban crossing routes? Now I did not witness this 4-player collision, so I can't say if a penalty should have been called or not, but I do know that we cannot take the thrill out of this game we all love known as football. Penalty for "leaving your feet"!?!? C'mon guys - let's have some f'ing pride.

Comment Posted by Grizzled Old Vet Jul 30, 2008 10:52 AM

Poorly designed route - BINGO! Penalty? - can't say without seeing the instant replay. Stop jumping? - That's like stopping Glen from midnight posting.....

Comment Posted by seanbest Jul 30, 2008 11:06 AM

If making that a penalty is dumb, then the "powers that be" should get rid of the rule disallowing you to reach for more yards (or to reach the ball over the goal line for a TD.) THAT rule is dumb!!

Comment Posted by spider Jul 30, 2008 11:15 AM

This is a joke right. You're complaining about a DB jumping in the air to catch a ball? Well at least he was well coached. I can't say that about whoever called the play. An out and up, and a corner? That's a disaster waiting to happen.They are bound to come together at the same place with at least one DB in the area.

If ya want a rule, how about one that says whoever call plays has to pass football 101.

If ya want to blame someone blame the play caller.

An offensive player diving into a number of defenders, is a whole lot different than a bunch of guys going up for a "jump" ball, and someone gets bumped.

Sorry you got hurt, but don't blame the DB, and least of all the ref or the rule book

Comment Posted by nomads Jul 30, 2008 06:43 PM

Spidey: Why are you and I agreeing?
Glen

Comment Posted by spider Jul 30, 2008 09:51 PM

Cuz weeese the pepsi generation, if we says things go better with Coke,... we mean cola, if we say that's "bad" we mean it ain't good. If we say I am "down" with that...well we never say that.....

There's a full moon?, Momma thru out the bath water, with the baby? Hell is freezing over, is there really global warming, Nessie and Ogo-pogo only come out at night.
Glen it's because.....

.....Is cuz we come from de 50's brother,......we come from a time when dey had blockin in the touch league. We came from a time when the Trib and the Free Press wrote stories about de league.......We came from a time when only females wore jewelery!!!

weez old bro!

ban jumping for a ball????? they jolkin right?

My turn on the beer run!

Comment Posted by mike_laping Jul 31, 2008 05:15 AM

Guys,

I don’t need to see the play to understand what happened. I know at times the play gets to a point where concern for health comes into question.

Now, I think the ref’s do all and all a good job at calling the games but occasionally on the rougher plays they seem to drop the ball.

I’ve played in this league for many years and feel I have a great relationship with all the refs (excluding some new ones but they’ll get to know me!) I joke with them, they threaten to flag me….they do make the game a lot more fun for me personally because of their unbelievably awesome attitudes.

However I do find my self often, maybe even a few times a game, asking them to control some of the rougher plays…..at least verbally warn players. Even a pull on a jersey instead of a tag can cause unnecessary injury and most of the times the refs make the right calls on tags any way so is not necessary to pull the jersey.

I play this for exercise and getting together with the guys. I do want to win but not at any expense. I don’t want to point the fingers at just the refs but the entire league.

Guys, control yourselves, this is game is for nothing. I’ve won division championships and all I got for it was a drunk that I still paid for!

If some players in this league don’t start respecting other players we will have a more serious injury, Woody here in my opinion got away lucky, because there is no way you break a rib if a guy wasn’t malicious. Give me a break.

Glen, Darrel and who ever else, call me a wimp, call me what you will, I could personally careless but if we as players, refs and administrators of this league do not start to take more action regarding these types of plays, someone is going to get seriously hurt or worse!

We are all men who should be able to distinguish between the WTFL and the CFL. Some players in this league need to get it together and start acting like MEN!

Comment Posted by andy21 Jul 31, 2008 09:58 AM

I have to agree with seanbest regarding the diving into the endzone rule. A couple weeks back our inside linebacker had a pick and headed 40 yards to the endzone. At about the 5 yard line he stumbled and ending up falling into the endzone. We were given a penalty for diving and got the ball at I believe the 5 yard line (not sure). It was obvious a stumble and not a dive (40 year old linebackers in the Rec. Division aren't that light on their feet).

Out of curiosity, why is the diving rule across the goal line a penalty? Safety issue or just a general touch football rule?

Comment Posted by nomads Jul 31, 2008 06:18 PM

Mike: We should provide bubble wrap.
Glen

Comment Posted by alouette Aug 01, 2008 10:46 AM

So we should all wear helmets and shoulderpads cause Touchfootball is a "contact" sport ? In my opinion, touchfootball is a game of positioning. Make the routes on offense, cut the angles on defense. But, when the ball is thrown where more than one player has a chance at catching it, the only jumping allowed should be vertically. As a defender, to pick the ball, you have to be in front of the receiver and not go through him. Same thing is for the receiver, if the defender has position in front of you to catch the ball, you can't go through him to get at it. In my book it is just common sense and good SPORTMANSHIP.

As an anecdote, I would tell you this true story (good trivia question?). All star game 2006, Jon Franklin throws a pass in the southeast endzone and Wayne Jackson (who was well covered) jumps 30 feet in the air to catch the pass for a touchdown. As a defender, what was I suppose to do ? Hold on to his shorts ? Good sportsmanship says he made a great play, no one got injured, and I will never belong in higher divisions...

Comment Posted by Woody Aug 13, 2008 08:28 AM

Hey I am not against a little physical contact, I enjoy a competitive game (there much more fun win or lose), I understand that it happens and I am not totally against diving either to MAKE A PLAY... In this case the ball was overthrown (on my left), this defender had no hope of making the play as he was to the right and behind me, incidently struck me in the back of the rib cage. My thoughts are it is a discretionary call by the ref but there should be some guidelines for determining whether the play warrants a penalty... perhaps leaving your feet (I see some of your points) as a defender is too general, maybe a dangerous play rule which somewhat closely resembles a rough tag and the defender coming in with control over their body.

Anyway, I am glad that some guys put some thought into their posts - I think that this kind of discussion only makes the league better in the end.

O ya, by the way Glen I'll be sure to bring my bubble wrap if I ever have the pleasure of playing you.

Woody
River City Hitmen

Comment Posted by Woody Aug 13, 2008 06:30 PM

One quick clarification - I am not suggesting jumping into the air for a ball should be a penalty, I am suggesting that a defender who dives, body becomes parallel with the ground and strikes an offensive player (especially in the back) should have some penalty attached to it.

Woody

Comment Posted by nomads Aug 13, 2008 06:35 PM

Woody: Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?
Glen

Comment Posted by sarge Aug 14, 2008 05:25 AM

Glen, all due respect, you never saw the play so you have no idea what happened. Woody has a point with what he says and he's not condemning the player that did it, just stating that it is rather "unsafe". As long as I've played, I was always told by officials that guys have to "keep their body in control". This was a case where the player didn't and they had a tough collision. Sucks that he broke a rib but it happens and he knows that. I know you're just trying to draw attention to yourself but don't spout off about things you don't fully understand....

B.

Comment Posted by mikey2014 Aug 14, 2008 05:30 AM

From what I can tell about the incident, and incidents similar to this, is that it is up to the ref's discretion whether or not the player was in control, and warrants a rough tag. There is no possible way to strap an official rule to this call such as "being parallel to the ground"...what consitutes parallel? At what degree? 90 degree? what about if he's 78 degrees parallel. Impossible to administrate - It's the ref's call in the end. Keep playin' hard!

Comment Posted by Long Island Ice-T Aug 14, 2008 10:43 AM

Sarge has it right. Body must be in control. That is simply not being called and is dangerous. I got closed lined on one jump ball play and no flag. Not whining. Sh!t happens but it needs to be called more.

Comment Posted by nomads Aug 14, 2008 12:52 PM

Sarge: I don't have to see what happened. I am expressing an opinion about something happening during a play and the ref never called a penalty. This only happens 1000 times a year. What is ridiculous is him still whining about it.
Glen

Comment Posted by Shadrack Aug 21, 2008 07:49 AM

Glen. Why don't you shut up?
Again, you don't seem to understand that nobody on here likes you, except for maybe Spider, and even then, I doubt privately he does either.
Nobody wants you on their team because this is how you act.
You are proof that you don't have to be smart to be rich.
In the wild kingdom, natural selection would have taken care of you already.
My kid was looking over my shoulder the other day and commented...."Is that nomads guy an idiot"?
I think you are some type of masochist. You get off on people putting verbal beatdowns on you. You are so stupid it really isn't even that much fun.......who am I kidding, I LOVE TO MAKE YOU LOOK STUPID BECAUSE IT IS SOOOOOO EASY!
Bubble wrap?
Poor baby because he broke a rib?
You are truly a nut case.

Comment Posted by rey Aug 21, 2008 11:15 AM

well, since this business just won't die, i figured it's time to put in my two cents worth.
parallel is parallel, man! 90 degrees would be perpendicular, and 78 degrees would be neither.
unless the ground is at 78 degrees.
we only have one or two fields where that's the case, and the incident that is continuously in question did not occur on that field.

Comment Posted by nomads Aug 21, 2008 06:42 PM

Hey Al: Why don't you revamp the offence. And like I said before thanks for the entertainment. Your so easy to bug it hurts.Unlike you I don't need someone to "like me" you poor little insecure baby.
Glen

Comment Posted by Shadrack Aug 24, 2008 05:16 PM

Insecure baby?
O MY GOD.
Of all the things that I am not, you picked one. Check with anyone Glen and ask them if they think I am insecure. Too secure maybe.

Doesn't bug me dimwit.
There you go justfying the world around you. You don't need anyone.
Good for you Glen.
That explains why you don't have anyone.
Lots of people with no friends say that. They don't need anyone.

I need people.
I need friends.
Need respect.
Need love.
Need to be educated.
Need teamates.
No problem admitting it. Maybe that is why I have a lot of those things in my life is because I need them.
You don't need anoyone to like you.
That is why you don't have anyone.
Logical isn't it.
Burn.
Too simple.
Too fun.

Comment Posted by nomads Aug 24, 2008 06:59 PM

Poor Baby.
Glen

Comment Posted by Shadrack Aug 26, 2008 07:13 AM

I'm waaaahing my way to your ridicule.
Loving it.
This baby is toying with big bad pickled Glen.
Glen, who is sitting at home, drowning his sorrows.
How can we rely on his play calling. There are times he can't even remember where he lives.
To Glen, a corner pattern could be the path he takes to the vendor.
A quick out is the excuse he gives to his wife so he can take the corner pattern.
Idiot.

Comment Posted by scott Aug 26, 2008 08:16 AM

Hello all, be advised that the forum for this type of chat is in “Smackdown” Jeanmachine made it as a type of entertainment area. Post in the smackdown area. Future post in the regular forum will be removed by the exec.

Comment Posted by rey Aug 26, 2008 06:16 PM

what is "smackdown"?
my computer doesn't recognize that term, although it is a mac.
is it the opposite of undercut?
or like a kiss from spiderman when he is upside "down"?
or what you do when you get a bright, like once in a lifetime, idea?
space craft return landing?
cuff on the ass?
kiss on the ass? is that it? a bunch of ass kissing? are you serious - we need a whole other forum for ass kissing?
what is the wtfl coming to....what is the world coming to?
on the other hand, if al and glen kissed each other's ass once in a while, maybe the sun would shine in winnipeg again. maybe all that negative energy would turn to something positive and it would light up our great province as a beacon of love, hope and understanding, all the world would look to us as the world leader...
all because of something so simple as an ass kissing forum.
utter brilliance.
congrats to the webmaster for his intuition and understanding of human behavior.
bravo.

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Aug 26, 2008 09:02 PM

Wasn't me, that was a carry over from the last website. I think we should rename "smackdown" to "dyck talk".

Comment Posted by nomads Aug 27, 2008 10:51 AM

I would be very proud to have it named in my honour. Maybe then someone will like me.
Glen

Comment Posted by rey Aug 27, 2008 04:02 PM

but if someone likes you, it's game over, isn't it?
it will all have been for naught.

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Aug 28, 2008 04:50 AM

I like Glen.
But I also liked that movie Tango & Cash, so perhaps I have poor taste.

Comment Posted by jkull Aug 28, 2008 09:53 AM

You also had a mullet after the year 2000, so I'd say you do have poor taste. And you're a Riders fan. Man, you suck at life :)

Comment Posted by Avengerman Aug 28, 2008 10:37 AM

What does Rebecca see in you??? You do have nice hair now though.
Oh yeah, nice game on Tuesday, way to shread our D with hooks and outs down the field.

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Aug 28, 2008 11:53 AM

Jeff, it wasn't after the year 2000. I cut it IN 2000 :)

Damian, no clue, but she likes Tango & Cash as well so perhaps she also has bad taste :)

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Aug 28, 2008 11:55 AM

I love how this thread has gone for a month and has progressed from an injury/penalty question to talks about my hair. Only in the WTFL...

Comment Posted by Shadrack Sep 02, 2008 05:07 AM

Thanks Avengerman.
We took what you were giving us. Sorry....
Again, in that wind, what else were we going to try?

Comment Posted by Robak Sep 02, 2008 01:00 PM

f that, no penalties. Two or more people can go for the ball. Its either block the pass, pick it off, or let him get the td or first down. If you get hurt then you get hurt.

Comment Posted by nomads Sep 03, 2008 06:24 PM

Hooks and outs HMMMM.You make it sound like YOU were deciding what to run HMMMM.Sorry... I feel so bad. Please excuse my skirt.And the clouds were puffy what else could we do.
Glen

Comment Posted by mightymaroon Sep 08, 2008 08:08 PM

I just found this thread and I would like to add that such a penalty does exist... I believe.
In one of our games the ball was overthrown to one of the opposing teams receivers who laid out to make the catch. Incidentally our DB was right on his hip and also laid out to knock the pass down. Both players hit the ground but our DB somewhat landed on the receiver (no injury) and a flag was thrown for "not having control of the body" against the DB.
I believe that is a similar rule as the one some of these people may be referring to.
Now, if it is a rule (which it should be as I've witnessed it called), then I expect it should be called in Woody's situation... unless of course it's only a penalty when Jessie Clarke is the DB (kidding of course). The refs do a fantastic job considering how quick of a sport this is.

That's my 2 cents

Craig,
Maniax/Maroons

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com