Forums » General » Football's over already?!?!?

Messages for Football's over already?!?!?

Comment Posted by falls4football Sep 14, 2008 05:25 PM

So it's barely mid-Sept and a good proportion of teams in our league are already done for the season. The leaves are not even starting to turn color and there's no more football to be played.
Lucky we had all those games in early May when nobody else in North America was playing. Now, the CFL is barely at the half, CIS and minor football are all just into their seasons, the NFL just started, and we are done.
Why are we not playing football in football season?
Whose idea is this?
I haven't talked to anyone who thinks this is the way it should be, yet somehow it is.
Let's have a figurative show of hands from league members, do we want to play in May and June and not Sept/Oct, or should we start a few weeks later than this year and actually still be playing in football season?

Comment Posted by mel Sep 14, 2008 05:43 PM

Fall is for tackle football. Touch football is a great way to spend the spring and summer. By the time September comes many players are glad to be done and are anxious to try a different activity. Theres always the Golf Dome if you want to keep playing touch football in the fall. I think the present format is excellent with more games in the spring, as many people are away during summer.I vote to keep it as it is.

Comment Posted by the ryan Sep 14, 2008 05:44 PM

just when i thought there was nothing else trivial for people to complain about. Glen, this is your que! Go to town and make me proud!

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Sep 14, 2008 06:18 PM

PRO TIP: if you want to continue to play into October, you can try winning. Studies have shown that this works for up to 50% of all teams.

Comment Posted by nomads Sep 14, 2008 06:19 PM

Ryan: You must have been reading my small mind. Ben: All you have to do is go through a few sloppy windy Oct games and you will know that that is horrible. If your playing only defense it won't effect you.When the weather in tackle football is miserable they tend to go more to the running game because passing is difficult. In case you haven't noticed touch is a passing game. Ask your dad.
Glen
P.S. Mark you stole my thunder by 1 minute so I have to take the nice route.

Comment Posted by mightymaroon Sep 14, 2008 06:33 PM

Yeah, when it comes to this issue, all it takes is to play one game in October to realize that unless we're gonna be getting the Stadium all day every weekend, it wouldn't work. The sun's already going down at 8:00 and by October it will be 6:00. That means no weekday games and we'd have to start playing at 5:00 am just to fit everyone in. I don't care how much you love the game, I'm not getting up at 4am after a rowdy Friday night to play touch football.

Plus, I love the fact that the WTFL starts only a couple weeks after Mazur's Winter Session.

Comment Posted by avengers Sep 15, 2008 04:17 AM

We did a show of hands with the executive and it was almost unanimous. Play when the weather is still in our favor. All leagues in Canada traditionally finish prior to Thanksgiving except for Winnipeg where we historically have some poor weather. Why take the skill out of the game when the wind and snow comes?

Ben you and your Dad are in the minority.

Jon

Comment Posted by spider Sep 15, 2008 06:09 AM

Now hold on there you newcomers to the game.

In case you are from some sort of parallel world where things are sort of the same, but not quite...football, for your information, is a Fall Sport. Even in Canada. Even in Touch..... or are the "never played tackle" people too scared of cold weather? Ha! Ha! Fair weather touch wussies! I mean don't football fanatics play till the temp gets to minus 5 or lower???

What are ya going to do? your nails?

Realistically, to operate....

There are huge problems with finishing early, that the rookie executive probably never considered. Or if they did, just don't care about. I wonder if any have ever been to what used to be "Championship weekend???" You know that actually stayed longer than their game? and partied with other division Champs? Naw forget that....I know the answer.(put that hand and those other two fingers away)

1.) If there are ties in the standings and other admin problems, the exec has less than 4 days to address them. You know...or no, you wouldn't...because you don't have to deal with them......You know, ineligible players, getting the refs schedulled, time for contacting people and confirming they got the message. Perhaps having to meet???(does anyone know what the matchups are for the winners who won this weekend?)

Also.... You know things like having the trophies returned, spitted up and polished,....maybe even put last year's winners name engraved..... (which I asked about, but only one team out of 10 has complied) Oh well, I guess a handshake from the "Head Ref" will be your reward for winning the division. Like he's got nothing better to do.

2.) Ordering trophies for stats winners. Evidently, the membership pretty much has a coniption fit if they don't get their stats. I would think the winners for the 10 divisions and their individual categories,would like a trophy. Only problem, who has time to tabulate the winners , order the trophies and that entire process. Glen, just watch, some smart responder who only offers comments, will state "the task could be done in a day." Realistically it takes about 4 weeks. Now, I can get it done in a week....problem....I personally am just a little too busy to have all the stuff compiled for Oct. 5th. Give it a couple weeks, I can find the time.

You and the "majority" see if you can get it done.

3.) No time for make up games. This year, even though the ref co-ordinator is going to have a stroke with all the pressure put upon him by the rushed re-schedules, who cares.

4.) Arranging the Championships. This is a joke this year. But, I guess I am in the minority. Making a big deal out of the Championship game is "old school" I wonder if whoever arranged the early date has ever organized a little championship party, or even played in a championship game.

Why bother even playing in the stadium? Just do it at Optimist in the windstorm. Same amount of people will watch. i.e. NO ONE!

No social activities allowed by such an early date. Christ some of the teams will probably complain about such short notice of having to play in the Finals!...and what the hell social activities suck anyway.

Sounds like a lot of fun!

5.) Global fricken warming. I guess the "majority" doesn't believe in that either? Maybe they haven't heard of Global warming. The average time of frost free days in the great white North, i.e. MB, has increased, and temperatures are staying above freezing a lot longer than the past. But no. The "MAJORITY says!!"...HA!

Now on the other end, of the calender.

Starting before the long weekend is a huge mistake.

1.) Fields are not thawed out properly
2.) Grass has not taken.
3.) The city doesn't have an abundance of fields to give to Adult sport.
4.) Only one field is available to us from the city. Period, Nothing else. Not one!!!!
5.) The league has to rent fields at 2-3 x the cost then normal. A decade ago, the league exec decided to have a small surplus at the end of each season, for the creation of our own field site. However, since the early season starts of the last few years, any projected surplus, is used up paying for Lil Mtn.,(last 2 years) Buhler and Maple Grove. This year we caught that expenditure early, but then gave the league umpteen ref clinics. Next year, I have arranged with Mr. Shea and their Rods to use their site for more dates. (More on fields at the AGM)

6.) Cold rainy temperatures (most of the re-schedules have actually come from this early period.)
7.) Teams haven't practiced
8.) Teams haven't met, to even collect money.
9.) Registration process is rushed (see above reason)
10.) Ref clinics can barely be squeezed in, to train new refs.
11.) Zero room for an early bird "see where we fit tournament" or a free agent day
12.) Women and others, who play other sports, haven't even finished their winter sport, or Sons and daughters Spring sports (where they may coach or administrate)
13.) Why should divisions who play 12 games or 14 games start in May, and have huge chunks of time off as the Finals near?
14.) Why should any team play 12 games before the end of June? How does that prepare a team who is Championship caliber? That's called a fricken holiday/huge momentum buster. 3 games in July, 2 in August and 1 in September????? That's rediculous!!!!
But again, if you've never been to a championship, how would you know that....

..Hey wait.....Let's start a Fall League....

Yeah...Let's do a 7 game Return to our roots Fall league (RORFL)schedule, starting Oct. 7th, play every weekend.(including Thanksgiving)(Sat and Sun)and maybe a couple weeknights.Game time, 5:00pm. Finish up November 2nd. Team fees $400.00. cash or certified cheque, send to 232 Eastmount Drive, R2N 3W8

Entry deadline October 5th!

Comment Posted by JaMarcus Sep 15, 2008 06:50 AM

Do an October tournament if you still need fall ball.

As far as scheduling playoffs goes, I'm not sure what you are getting at. Games end and then playoffs start. If that happens at the end of September or the middle it shouldn't matter. Take your TODO list and just start working on it 2 weeks earlier than in the past.

If football is only a fall sport then why do we have an indoor league? Football should not be played in winter because the football gods say so! Only fall!!!

The reality is that if the membership wanted the season to end earlier, then what is the big deal?

I do agree with points #13-14 above. The schedule should be more balanced throughout the season. I know the concept of front loading the schedule is to help keep rain out dates open, but I think we've been a bit aggressive with that lately.

Why do we need to start in may? The answer is simple: the league is huge. But we can make it bigger and start in april! Anybody want to start an april league? Send me $399 and we can get it started.

Comment Posted by spider Sep 15, 2008 08:26 AM

The membership wanted the season to end early? Huh???

Not the people I talk to!!! You know veterans, consistent returning players, solid citizens. Ending the season Oct. 5th??? With 4 weeks of playable weather???? Jimminey, winter is long enough...let's make it longer!

Indoor - More football when it's 30 below - of course the biggest touch league in the world, the M...

- The WTFL season ends,- playoffs, yup, just don't start in April. Last year, the snow wasn't off the ground for two weeks and we started. We don't have to start that early,. the league is down to 60 odd teams. Sure, if ya have 80 teams then there is an argument for more physical days needed. But this year???

- Take my "To Do" list?? Well that's just the point, "My" To Do list is full. If ya play in the playoffs or travel to the Nationals, Sept/ Labour Day to Oct. Thanksgiving, is pretty much a big rush. School starts, if ya coach a team it's going on, and then there are practicies for Nationals. As I said, I personally don't have time for an Oct 5th Championship. An Oct. 18th Championship, there's two more weeks to plan. Buy like I said, you wouldn't know, cause you don't do it. Unfortunately, I have asked for help regarding the Championships, and the response was ONE person.

Hey, bottom line, I just think a bit of a "wind-up", makes the Championship more memorable....also, it's nice to remenice and B.S. about the year, with a bunch of people celebrating the game. Ya know, at T.O.C. we all sit around and b.s, at the hotel, the social, and at the beer tent, at the field.. I mean spreading congratulations, and making new friends........ You broaden your horizons, How do ya think the Assassins learned of the "box" "diamond" and "flip??" No prob though. Ignorance is bliss isn't it???

Hey and we have a ton of new teams, even woman's teams (I wonder what they think of the league??)

In Winnipeg, like I said, you guys...???? enjoy your beer in the parking lot and then bitch about the trophies.

Glen, talk abouit hitting the nail on the head!

Comment Posted by nomads Sep 15, 2008 11:47 AM

Darrell: What do you mean hitting the nail on the head? I am totally against starting late and finishing late. You obviously have never had to throw the ball in inclement weather. If the season is pushed forward I won't play next year.And do you know how boring this forum will be.
Glen

Comment Posted by spider Sep 15, 2008 12:28 PM

Next year?????

I wonder.

This league used to have:
a free agent day,
a pre-season May tournament (for new and newer teams)
a Spring Tournament
a Beach tournament
another beach tournament (Clear lake)
an All-Star game
a woman's clinic
a wind-up

Good luck next year!

Comment Posted by gus Sep 16, 2008 08:12 AM

As a team that got knocked out early in the playoffs, it does seem to be over quickly. However, I agree that if you win, you get to play longer into the Fall. At the same time, I agree 100% with Spider when it comes to pre-season preparation, and the expectation of playing football in the cold weather.

Our team is dedicated to practicing, and a big part of that happens pre-season. The first time we got together as a full squad was our first game! In years past, we would have had 4 or 5 practices before playing a league game. Division 4 was an extremely tight division this year, and making a difference early with some wins would make a dramatic difference at the end of the year. We had played 3 or 4 games before the end of May. Normally, we used all of May to practice and just get in the mindset for another season. It really feels like a lot of games are wasted because you're just working on getting organized and in shape. Plus, with so many games in May, we had little time to practice in between, and had a number of guys fighting injuries early because they were not in game shape when the season began. Yes, you can quickly say "that's what the gyms' for" but anyone who plays knows that what you do in the gym never fully prepares you for the strain of cutting and twisting on the field.

Another point, is trying to plan what days don't work to play in the season. Most guys don't know if they have a biz trip or summer travel plans in March. We were still trying to figure out which guys would be back, never mind trying to find new or replacement players. As team manager, I found all personelle issues from collecting money to looking at new jerseys incredibly tight to try and coordinate. In fact, I wasn't even able to collect the money and had to pay out of my own pocket to start because of time constraints.

It really did seem that the league forced a bunch of games in May and June, so that we could all just coast through the summer without having to worry about football. I'd rather be cramming in games in September, once we're all back on a normal routine. This way we're looking forward to enjoying the last days of good weather outside doing what we love. The winter is long enough, trapping us indoors. September should be the busiest month in the schedule with October used for playoffs. Hell.. I'm Canadian. I expect to be freezing my hands trying to throw the football late in the year. Its football, not tennis or water polo.

If this is the norm now, it would be nice to know in advance, so we can try alternate ways to prepare for a season staring in May. I don't know exactly what, but it was a shock this year to be playing so many games at the beginning of May.

Comment Posted by nomads Sep 16, 2008 11:15 AM

Gus: If you expect to be freezing then move to Labrador. Why do you think that 2 of the most northern teams in the NFL have domes and we are way further north then them.
Glen

Comment Posted by Avengerman Sep 16, 2008 12:40 PM

There is not enough light in August and September to be cramming games. You can only get in one game. Maybe we should be looking at getting some lights.
As a league we were trying to get weekends off in the July and August for players who go away on weekends. I know on my team I had 4 guys who went away to the lake every weekend.

Darrell the way it worked 10 years ago does not apply the same as today. It is to bad, I ve been in the league for.....I think 15 years now. I remember playing my finals at the Old Ex field before the put the baseball diamonds in the there. I am sure it wasn't Late October when we played. There is not 30-40 teams anymore were we can do all those thing in May and June. You know it puts a strain on our resources. I know most teams don't want to play 14 games seasons.
I remember playing in a playoff game with ice on my shoes, becuase it was sleeting. That was a real fun game being wet and cold. I think that game was the first week of October. The finals were mid october.

If the finals would have been the time you have wanted, half the teams would have had to wait 2-4 weeks before playing in the finals.

Maybe we can have two seasons, a spring and then a summer/fall season. In the spring you play 6 games and in the sum-fall season you play 12. The registration would be due the same time for both.

Damian

Comment Posted by spider Sep 16, 2008 05:37 PM

Wuss.

Yeah, one out of 10 years we have a cold play-off.

and besides I am only talking a two week difference,to play some real football in football weather. It wouldn't kill you to play 2-4 games in chillier temps.

Now if you can't handle playing the odd game when it's at worst, 0- minus 3 or 4, on those once a decade years, maybe you should go play slow pitch.

Your response ignores the follies of trying to find fields in May and June.

Oh crap, I just saw the weather report. It's going down to single digits for the weekend. Not to worry, I'll bring you some mittens

Comment Posted by nomads Sep 16, 2008 06:39 PM

Darrell,Darrell, Darrell: It's not the temperature that screws the game . It's snow and wind and mucky fields.You are a Fossil and you have to go with the times like us young folk,
Glen

Comment Posted by Avengerman Sep 16, 2008 07:13 PM

I am playing Slow Pitch and the playoffs are in two weeks.

Wind bad.

Comment Posted by adele Sep 20, 2008 03:30 PM

I agree with the Fall is for Football
Summer is for beach volleyball, golf, the beach, etc.
Back in the day the women's league ran from late JUL to early OCT - that was a great time to play
this way we got to enjoy the summer - especially for those who have families and do the family vacations/etc - and those who have children involved in soccer/etc.
I have never agreed with f/ball starting in MAY - there is more to summer than football as there are many other things to enjoy.
This time of year is football weather - this is when we should be playing!
Adele - Wildcats

Comment Posted by lmitchnik Sep 20, 2008 04:46 PM

I really don't understand all the bitching about this. I've been in the league for about 12 years now and we have always started the Men's league in May and finished the regular season in September. Traditionally we started after the May long-weekend, but that was before the league got as big as it has in the last 2 years. I agree that starting a couple of weeks later to give us some time to practice on dry fields would be good and we shouldn't have to cram so many games into May & June. I think my Anvils team had played 5 games in May and another 5 in June then had a couple of 3 week breaks in July & August.

As for playing in the fall I believe the regular season has ended at the same time it has over the last few years, but the playoffs have been condensed to get everything done on Oct 5th. I think this is great. In the past we would have the semi-finals on the weekend before Thanksgiving and then play the finals the weekend after. Why should we go so late? As stated by others, this is touch football, a passing league, we don't wear pads to help keep us warm and there is not really a running game. Why not try to have playoffs and finals decided by the teams and not the elements?

Really, all this bitching about fall for football when the Finals are going to be 2 weeks earlier (really only one week if you disregard the fact that we never play on Thanksgiving weekend)?

You want to play fall ball? Join one of the indoor leagues, or win your damn playoff games!

I'd rather be reffing the finals at the Stadium on Oct 5 than Oct 19.

My 2 cents,

Leslie, Anvils & Ref

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com